Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Blind Swords  (Read 6631 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: August 20, 2023, 11:54:10 AM
I know this system has been around for a while, and I have played it a bit with a couple of Franco-Prussian War games, but not with the ACW ones. Obviously, the system has been modified for the FPG 'Gettysburg' game which we have talked about on another thread.

However, I had a look on Revolution Games website, as I really did not know much about their games, and was somewhat surprised at the number of ACW games they have using this system. I was quite interested in the 'Kernstown' game, since the old S&T game on the battle, published many years ago, and the first game in what became the GBACW series, was the game that first sparked my interest in the period.

Does anyone play any of these Revolution games because I'd be very interested to know how they play.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 01:46:23 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 01:11:32 PM
I believe Trailrunner has most of them and is a fan, though I'll not speak for him about what he likes so much about them

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

RockyMountainNavy

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 06:35:36 PM
Note also that Hermann Luttmann took Blind Swords and evolved it into his Black Swan system that now powers The Hill of Death: Champion Hill and Claude Whelan’s Conquering the Valley: Cross Keys/Port Republic.  Both of these Shattered Union Game Series titles are smaller footprint games playable in less than 3 hours (maybe as few as 2). Make a decent introduction to the “extended” Blind Swords clan of games.

doone57

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 05:01:31 PM
I have all of the Blind Swords ACW games and have played all but one. I played a "campaign" earlier this year, and played them in order.
Revolution Games produces at least 2 per year. Quality of components is good - the older games have beautiful Rick Barber Maps; newer games have similar maps. Counter quality is good - they usually produce some tails, so counter clippers will definitely want to clip these.
Main rules are very straight forward and consistent game to game. Each game has a few pages of game specific rules that provide some unique gameplay.
It is chit pull which makes it great for solo two handed play, but some people have complained it adds too much randomness to the game.
Most games, the counter density is low with minimal stacking.
Once the scenario is set up, the game can be as "sandboxy" as you want - you can try different strategies and see what happens. Depending on the chit-pull, you will get a different result each time.

It is one of my favorite systems - and I buy (and play) each title.
Let me know if you want more info
I posted a bunch of AAR's in the Blind Swords FB group      https://www.facebook.com/groups/671983123971688/posts/975202920316372/

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 05:11:10 PM
I played a "campaign" earlier this year, and played them in order.

That sounds really cool.  Did you carry over unit "status" or disposition from game to game?  Or just reset between each as you played them?  Any hacks/ideas you'd want to share about how you did it?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 07:08:34 AM
I've been looking at ACW games that use this system, and obviously, the majority are published by Revolution Games with, I think, 7 titles so far. There are also 2 games in the 'Shattered Union' series by FPG, although to honest, I'm not a great fan of that publisher for various reasons.

Apart from the games from the Franco-Prussian war, which I have played, I think that Legion Games have a pre-order game (still need 16 orders!) on the battle of Solferino which also uses the same system.

Are there any that I've missed?

At present, I'm considering either one of the TBP games or maybe 'Kernstown' from Revolution.

doone57

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 02:50:18 PM
I played a "campaign" earlier this year, and played them in order.

That sounds really cool.  Did you carry over unit "status" or disposition from game to game?  Or just reset between each as you played them?  Any hacks/ideas you'd want to share about how you did it?

I did give a "bonus" to the "winner" in the next game. It was either a couple of extra artillery pieces (if available) or 1-2 extra event chits on the first couple turns of the game. It was fun to do that, not sure it impacted the outcome very much

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 04:14:40 PM
That is interesting. I really like the look of these games, especially 'Kernstown' and 'The Day was Ours' - do you have a 'favourite from the series?

I've downloaded the rules for 'Stonewalls Sword' which I believe is more-or-less the core rules for the series.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 01:59:59 PM
I think I may be able to get me grubby little paws on a folio copy of Revolution Games 'Kernstown', and if so, I'll do an unboxing un-bagging in due course.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 04:45:23 PM
So, I now have 'Kernstown', but it would seem that a 'un-bagging' review has already been done by someone far more competent than I.  ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 09:05:14 AM
This is an amazing game system.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 11:45:50 AM
evolved it into his Black Swan system that now powers The Hill of Death: Champion Hill and Claude Whelan’s Conquering the Valley: Cross Keys/Port Republic. 

I played Champion Hill 2 weeks ago and it was fun.  I got my butt kicked with some bad die rolling, but it was an interesting system.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 12:09:34 PM
I think the system in the form that is used for the Revolution games is a little more involved.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 12:25:10 PM
I think the system in the form that is used for the Revolution games is a little more involved.

I'm pretty sure you're right.  As Rocky noted, the Black Swan system was more of an on-ramp for them

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 01:23:39 PM
That is slightly different again, as it uses a sort of 'demi-brigade' unit scale rather than regiments which are activated by brigade. The more I play the system, the more I like it.