Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: It's Time to Rethink our Wargames  (Read 3210 times)

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
on: May 15, 2020, 10:02:06 PM

Recent article going around on Thursday/Friday from Christopher Dougherty in Intick.

https://inkstickmedia.com/its-time-to-rethink-our-wargames/

The broad themes are ones I think most people could get behind, although I somewhat question Dougherty's "solvency mechanism" as alot of these practices seem to exist in the status quo, but look where that got us in the Pandemic gaming front.

The article does prompt a thought though...the academic literature on intelligence failures often highlights that it wasn't the lack of reporting or analysis that led to strategic surprise...rather it was structural limitations or a senior policymaker/warfighter unwilling to listen. Sounds like maybe the wargaming community could mine the intelligence literature to see what they came up with to be more effective.

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:30:54 PM
Some class discussion in analysis of "surprise" during the Yom Kippur War

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/817-class-02-Yom-Kippur.m4a

Not only was I the only wargamer in the room, I was probably the only one who's ever heard of wargaming at that point

But the entire time, I'm thinking "how to you incorporate this into a wargame?"

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love