Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 100363 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #240 on: May 02, 2021, 12:44:13 AM
My biggest issue right now, is that I'm playing a machine race.  I am constantly in a negative on both credits and minerals.  I'm going to have to abandon the AI managing sectors and take it over.

Yeah, sectors and sector AI still seems to be garbage, unfortunately.  I'm gobsmacked it remains in such a sorry state after all this time. 

YIKES! I do not want to meet these guys!  :o  :waah:
Fallen Empire in my current game.

Yeah, never mind the end-game crisis.  The FE's scare the piss out of me. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #241 on: May 02, 2021, 08:36:16 AM
They're much less scary if you turn them off when starting a new game.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #242 on: May 02, 2021, 03:58:05 PM
True, but it's also more boring then.  For as powerful as they are, it's still fun to have a few giants in the playground.  (Plus, you sometimes get help with the Crisis when it shows up.)  :) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #243 on: May 02, 2021, 05:43:13 PM
Oh yeah, and I finally got a little time in with the game last night after Amy headed back home to Wisconsin.  Still having fun with it so far, despite some of the changes (from 2.2+, not necessarily 3.0) driving me absolutely mad. 

Separating Alloys from Minerals is utterly pointless (again with the needless complexity), being unable to form my own Sectors blows, pops are often dumb about which jobs to fill next (forcing me to have to micromanage them -- joy), and I continue to despise how every single treaty costs monthly upkeep in influence now (yet influence "income" wasn't increased to compensate).  That last one in particular rankles me. 

On the other hand, diplomatic relations are now generally more interesting, and feel more fleshed out.  The fact that your first contact greeting actually matters now is also a nice touch.  And with the new spy/intel system, your neighbors are much more of an enigma, even the ones that are friendly towards you.  (Why do they like you?  Who knows?  Guess you'll need to establish a spy network if you really want to find out...) 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:45:15 PM by Martok »

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #244 on: May 02, 2021, 06:53:18 PM
Yeah, the influence hit for treaties ranks up there in the really bad idea dept.  I just got hit with the mid-game crisis.  It's nanobots that constantly pop out of the two wormholes that were formerly within my borders.  Each fleet is about 32k strong.  Best I can build is about 13k so punching through to invade their little corner of space is not going to happen for a long time.  The worst thing is, they keep spawning new fleets that knock out 4-5 of my systems each time and, thanks to the idiotic influence costs, I can't afford to rebuild outposts to get them back.  Losing all these systems means my energy and minerals are seriously in the red so I can't cancel my trade agreements to get more influence/turn because doing so will tank the economy even more. 

Such fun... ::)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #245 on: May 03, 2021, 04:11:21 AM
Well I can't believe I'm saying this, but I already went and purchased the Nemesis DLC.  Fortunately, I found it for a decent price ($11.99 on WinGameStore), so I will only beat myself with a stick 50 times instead of 100. 

I realized I've been enjoying 3.0 enough -- despite its myriad flaws (and my inevitable bitching) -- that I probably won't be going back to 2.1 (or any other earlier version of the game).  And since I like the spy/intel system so much, and the idea of becoming Galactic Tyrant Custodian is undeniably appealing, I figured I might as well grab the DLC sooner rather than later -- especially if I could avoid paying an arm and a leg for it! 

I now have Nemesis installed, and it's already had an impact on my current game:  I've acquired an asset in one empire (my rival), plus damaged relations between that empire and a star nation who they've been becoming friendlier with as of late.  I don't want my rival to have any more friends than can be reasonably helped, so I felt that some skullduggery was called for. 

Also:  I love, love the new soundtrack pieces.  Andreas Waldetoft has definitely still got the touch.  :bigthumb: 

Yeah, the influence hit for treaties ranks up there in the really bad idea dept.  I just got hit with the mid-game crisis.  It's nanobots that constantly pop out of the two wormholes that were formerly within my borders.  Each fleet is about 32k strong.  Best I can build is about 13k so punching through to invade their little corner of space is not going to happen for a long time.  The worst thing is, they keep spawning new fleets that knock out 4-5 of my systems each time and, thanks to the idiotic influence costs, I can't afford to rebuild outposts to get them back.  Losing all these systems means my energy and minerals are seriously in the red so I can't cancel my trade agreements to get more influence/turn because doing so will tank the economy even more. 

Such fun... ::)

While I definitely agree you're in a bad spot, I don't think it's the mid-game crisis that you're dealing with.  The Great Khan uniting the marauder clans, and subsequently trying to conquer the galaxy, is the mid-game crisis. 

It sounds as if perhaps you -- or more likely, someone else -- has opened up the L-Gates, and released the Gray Tempest onto the galaxy as a result (which is 1 of the 4 outcomes that can happen when the L-Gates are opened). 

If that's the case, then you have the fight of your life on your hands right now.  The Gray Tempest is even more dangerous than the Great Khan, as the latter only want to conquer the galaxy, whereas the former want to straight-up destroy it. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #246 on: May 04, 2021, 10:46:43 PM
Yes, I'm going to go down the path of Becoming the Crisis.  Destroy all Organics!!!

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #247 on: May 06, 2021, 03:40:41 PM
The latest dev diary talks about upcoming changes to the beta branch. 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-211-3-0-3-beta-updates.1472418/

The main takeaways: 

*  The number of jobs will be reduced somewhat, especially Clerk jobs (although Clerks' production will be beefed up somewhat to compensate). 

*  Resource-enhancing buildings (Mineral Processing Plants, Food Processing Centers, etc.) are getting nerfed. 

*  More AI improvements, with a focus on economic stability and better research behaviors. 

*  Sliders are being added for Logistic Growth Ceiling and Growth Required Scaling, although the devs warn adjusting these from the default settings will have major impacts on both performance and balance. 

The devs also emphasized that the beta branch is a very much still a work in progress, and that work will continue to focus on AI improvements and balance, especially with respect to pop growth and jobs production.   

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:27:22 PM by Martok »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #248 on: May 07, 2021, 02:59:00 AM
So earlier in my game, I was rivals with my neighbors The Voor Technocracy; it looked like we were going to be at war anytime.  Several decades later, relations have thawed, and we're now starting to become fast friends. 

Say what you will about Stellaris' diplomacy system (goodness knows it has its flaws and/or quirks), but I genuinely enjoy that it allows for ebb & flow like this.  I kinda feel like the Federation finally winning over the Klingons.  8) 

On a separate topic:  I'm currently unable to recruit Robotic Assault Armies, and I have no idea why.  I've researched Droids, and I'm playing with the Mechanist origin, so my homeworld already starts out with the Robotic Assembly Plant.  Any idea what I'm missing? 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #249 on: May 07, 2021, 07:05:46 AM
Crud.  I've been playing with the 3.03 beta and a number of mods.  This morning I downloaded the 3.03 actual.  No I cannot load.  I'm guessing a change in the actual 3.03 patch that wasn't in the beta isn't liking something in one of the mods.  Now I cannot get into my saved game. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #250 on: May 07, 2021, 07:08:40 PM
I can't load my save-game, either.  One of the prices for playing a beta branch.  :/ 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #251 on: May 08, 2021, 04:23:49 PM
Correction:  Turns out I was unable to fire up the game at all, even when starting up a new campaign.  I had to opt out of the beta branch and revert back to 3.02. 

I had both a ruined Dyson's Sphere and a ruined Sentry Array near my home system too.  :(  Poop. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #252 on: May 08, 2021, 06:53:55 PM
I'm seeing the Ai do better at managing planets.  I think the issue I ran into, was, playing as a machine race, I could colonize any planet.  So I did a massive rush of colonization.  I've seen this issue prior to 3.x.  I believe the issue is that the AI doesn't look at the whole picture, but has a pretty set script, so it goes and build strategic resource buildings, even if you don't need them right way.  This has the effect of draining your minerals and energy credits.  At least the AI is no longer spamming those buildings on planets, along with the unity buildings.  Used to see the AI build 3 on a single planet. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #253 on: May 08, 2021, 07:48:51 PM
I got grey gooed and had to start over.

I am having problems with robot factories.  I took over a planet from a neighbor but it's only a 65% habitability rating for my species so I built a robot factory on it.  I can't seem to get it to produce anything even though I've got ummm...indentured employees from the previous owners working in the factory.  I have to build robots on another planet and ship them to this one.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #254 on: May 08, 2021, 08:41:32 PM
SRD, that's something else prior to 3.x, the A would spam robot assembly factories.  Every planet would have at least one. 

For you planet SDR, do you have any machinists working there.  That's what is needed for the factory to build units.