Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Re: Civil War Battlefield Visits in free fall  (Read 3186 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
on: May 26, 2019, 07:59:12 AM
Sounds like I need to schedule some park visits.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 08:19:04 AM
I did several battlefields this last fall following Grant's Vicksburg Campaign. Shiloh and Vicksburg are well maintained.

Lots of reasons can be given but I just think most people don't give two thoughts to history or historical locations. They do not provide immediate gratification but require "work" to appreciate beyond the natural beauty. By work, I mean reading a book or two. The extent of most peoples "knowledge" is limited to current political rhetoric and vague memories of primary school history classes. It really a shame to be honest.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:26:53 AM
I read that article and was surprised.  I visit one or two battlefields a year, and most recently visited Antietam.  On the other hand, Bull Run is the closest to me (only 20 minutes away), but I haven't been there in perhaps 10 years, and my last visit was to run the trails.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:47:10 AM
I've lived in DC for 20 years now and have yet to see Bull Run.  :-[

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 08:59:02 AM
I have Bull Run and Gettysburg on the bucket list. I did several ACW sites in Virginia a couple of years ago. The one I wanted to see most was Appomattox Court House which I did get to see and walk the grounds. It’s another well maintained site. The most surprising feature I didn’t appreciate until I was there was just how tiny the house really is where Lee and Grant met.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:06:29 AM
My early childhood years were spent in Dale City, just down the road from D.C. and Manassas. Later I always wondered why we didn't visit it, as much into military history as my grandfather was (it's his fault I'm into it myself now, lol).

You know, I thought if I had my choice of dream jobs, I'd go back and get a degree in forestry or something similar and get a job at a National Park - preferably one with a battlefield. This is a real shame. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 10:53:53 AM
My older brother and I have seen Gettysburg, Antietam, and the Manassas battlefields from some years back. You can just drive down the Shenandoah and there's battlefields about every 20 miles or less. Winchester is fantastic and Stonewall Jackson's HQ was a treat to visit. However many places were already being taken over by strip malls and condos leaving nothing but a sign or two saying something happened here or there and it's very hard to get the feel of history or especially try to discern the lay of the ground for many of the battles. So, go see them while there's still something there to see.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming