Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The White Tribe from White Dog Games  (Read 11060 times)

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 10:27:52 PM
Not entirely certain what prompted it, but Ben Madison got himself permanently banned from BGG. It appears that a review that found the game biased against Muslims (with some scholarly sources being relied upon in the thread) led to the designer defending himself and his game in a manner that the moderators found unbecoming. I didn't see the comments, they were all removed. Regardless, if you end up with questions related to any of his games, you'll likely need to head over to CSW to find him now.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #46 on: April 12, 2021, 08:16:37 AM
I'm not surprised. Without getting political, some of Ben's game topics are easy prey for certain people looking for problems where they don't really exist. Sad that BGG would ban him.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #47 on: April 12, 2021, 09:32:25 AM
I can't really comment without getting overly political. All I can say is Ben's designs seem thoughtful and respectful; Jeff Davis had a very touchy subject but he approached it with logic, and it made sense in the scheme of the game.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #48 on: April 12, 2021, 10:52:34 AM
The ban has been somewhat explained by Octavian on BGG here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2636861/very-biased-game/page/2

Seems Ben responded to someone who gave Islamic Jihad a rating of 1 by referring to them as the Islamic Jihad... and apparently that user had the geek badge or whatever indicating they were Muslim.

I did not go wandering into the weeds, but I seem to recall Ben having expressed some anti-Islamic views during a Space Biff podcast or something? I filed that away under This Does Not Affect Me and didn't go beyond reading the brief blurb on some Discord channel or whatever. So perhaps this was building? No idea.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #49 on: April 12, 2021, 11:00:51 AM
As a side note, I've been reading that thread as often as I can because some of it gets deleted. I've never realized how heavy-handed the forum moderation is at BGG.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #50 on: April 12, 2021, 11:37:22 AM
I wish people would find more important and concrete things to get pissed off about rather than a freakin' cardboard-and-paper board game.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #51 on: April 12, 2021, 11:55:24 AM
Yeah, totally agree with you.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

blindsey

• Fresh Recruit
    • Poseidon's Table
Reply #52 on: June 23, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
I hadn't heard about Madison getting exiled from BGG, but I have noticed I haven't seen him around commenting, lately, on his game pages. 

He also had some trouble a few months back with some Argentinian trolls kvetching about his honest and historically-supportable stances in Mrs. Thatcher's War, as well.   It was amusing, as a couple of them seemed completely unaware of their own history. 

Blake H. Lindsey,
Merced, CA

“The french Captain tells me, I have caused a War with France; If so I am glad of it, for I detest Things being done by Halves.”  --- Commodore Thomas Truxtun of the USS Constellation, after defeating the French frigate L'Insurgente, 1799

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #53 on: June 23, 2021, 11:08:54 PM
That's interesting. If you go to Google Maps and check out some of the businesses on the Falklands, you'll find reviews from Argentinians that are less than respectful of their presence. And then you'll see locals commenting on their comments that basically spout "poor loser" and really don't help the situation, lol.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #54 on: June 24, 2021, 08:02:33 AM
I hadn't heard about Madison getting exiled from BGG, but I have noticed I haven't seen him around commenting, lately, on his game pages. 

He also had some trouble a few months back with some Argentinian trolls kvetching about his honest and historically-supportable stances in Mrs. Thatcher's War, as well.   It was amusing, as a couple of them seemed completely unaware of their own history.

He was posting on ConsimWorld but I don't know if he still is.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy