Author Topic: Victoria Cross II - Rorke's Drift  (Read 1646 times)

judgedredd

• Lancer
  • OJsdad - No, she just told me to drop them. Been s
on: November 30, 2020, 03:54:49 PM
I'm not sure what detail I'm going to go into here...not a lot hopefully so I don't get dragged down in the minutiae

Setup Basics
British Forces setup in the compound. Anywhere they want, but only 8 SPs (strength points) to a zone. The 4 VP units (with a Red Cross on them) are wounded at the start of the battle and 1 each needs to be placed in the Hospital (above Zone P).

British Movement
As I don't know where the Zulu are coming from, I disperse them equally with Bromhead and Chard  in sections available to move SPs from other sections  - np - all units can only move 1 location except officers and up to 4 SPs of infantry...so I've placed them where I think they may be able to move 4 SPs quickly to other sections if the need arises.

Setting up the British counts as their movement turn.

Zulu Movement
I roll  for the Zulu entry. They can bring in 90 SPs of units + up to 4 leaders. I roll for the number of leaders and 2 was rolled. So they are to enter with 90 SPs (9x10 SPs) and 2 leaders.

The chart shows how to determine where they enter

I roll a 6. I split the forces into 40 SPs and 50 SPs.

I roll a 1 for the 40 SPs so 10 SPs move 1 into Zone 18 and the leader takes the other 30 SPs with him and moves another zone into Zone 12.
I roll a 2 for the 50 SPs and I move 2x10SPs into Zone 19 and 30 SPs I move with a leader another zone into Zone 13.

The battle is set.

Alba gu' brath

ojsdad - "No, she just told me to drop them. Been so long since woman told me to do that I just did it."

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:13:12 PM
I've looked at that a couple of times and wondered how well it plays  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
Basics on Combat

Each compound zone has a set of Zones it can fire into and at certain ranges. These are all very handily shown on the map

So on the image below, from Zone H in the compound, the British Troops there can fire into zones [1,2,10,11 and 12] at range 1, zones [3,9,13,16,17 and 18] at range 2 and zones [6,7,8,21] at range 3

The range has an effect on combat. So at range 3, the die roll has to be 5 or 6 for a hit, range 2 needs a roll of 4,5 or 6 for a hit and range 1 requires rolls of 3,4,5 and 6 for a hit.

Also, there is either a CRT to use or die roll. With the CRT, you roll one die, look up the range and apply the result. With the die roll combat, you roll 1 die for each SP. I preferred the die roll mechanic...there's something rather satisfying about rolling 8 dice. It might seem silly, but it feels like a load of guns firing. With Volley fire, you roll 3 dice for each SP...that's a lot of dice but very satisfying.

Also worthy of note here is that Zulu wounded are removed and set aside and when there are 30 casualties, they come on as replacements.

British Combat Phase
British troops in Zone P and Zone N open fire on the assaulting Zulu. This attack is at range 2 so they need to roll 4s, 5s and 6s to hit.

They roll and score 3 hits. Pretty poor considering there's 30 marauding Zulu heading their way.

British troops in Zones I, L and O led by Chard open fire on the Zulu attacking from Zone 12. Again, this is range 2 and so 4s, 5s and 6s are needed.

They roll and score 6 hits.

And finally British troops in Zone H open fire at the Zulu in Zone 18

Again, range 2 and requires 4s, 5s and 6s to hit. They score 6 hits

That's the British Combat phase over. It's a fairly simple way to perform combat - but I think indicative of the time. When the British next get a movement phase, they can move troops...and I think I may have to bolster the eastern part of the compound. Also, the next British combat phase will be at range 1 and so hits on rolls of 3,4,5 and 6 - so much more deadly. Also, at range 1,  Chard and Bromhead can perform Volley Fire which allows 3 rolls per SP...turn a section of 8 SP (and normally 8 die rolls) into 24 die rolls.

As mentioned earlier, the Zulu casualties are set aside and when I accumulate 30 SPs, I'll bring them on as replacements.

The next phase is Zulu Random Fire.

Alba gu' brath

ojsdad - "No, she just told me to drop them. Been so long since woman told me to do that I just did it."

thecommandtent

• Trooper
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 07:41:34 PM
Very interesting. I like the style and look of the map.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 07:53:08 PM
Any limit to ammo JD?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 01:39:47 AM
Very interesting. I like the style and look of the map.
It's a superb looking game.

Any limit to ammo JD?
There are Depleted Ammo counters...but the only rules reference I could see regarding Depleted Ammo was in relation to the Isandwala battle. It doesn't seem to be a thing for Rorke's Drift.

So in Isandwala for every 1 rolled,  you roll again and if it's a 1 again, then the unit is marked with a Depleted Ammo marker.

Like I said the rule seems to be Isandwala specific. The rules are setup so that if a rule is specific to Rorke's Drift, it is surrounded by a red border and if it's specific to Isandwala, it's surrounded by a brown chequered box and if the rule is applicable to both battles, it doesn't have a border.

Rorke's Drift specific rule

Isandwala specific rule

Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 10:38:10 AM
That's right on target then as I recall, The Brits had ammo problems at Isandwala but had plenty of ammo at the Drift fight. Thanks JD.

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 10:42:16 AM
I like the look of this as well, and the combat system seems pretty straightforward.

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 05:32:00 PM
Zulu Random Fire
They roll 6 dice during the day and 4 at night and need to roll a 6 for a hit. They can hit on a 5 or 6 if they are firing into Zone  J as it's the most open part of the compound. They also can't fire into the hospital zones, Zone G or Zone D (final  redoubt).

I randomly choose which zone the Zulu are going to fire into...it's Zone P. They roll 6 dice and score 1 hit. One squad is reduced.

There is nothing else to do for the rest of the turn...the sequence is
Melee Combat - there are no units adjacent to each other
British Bayonet Charge - there are no units adjacent to each other
Hospital Phase - there are no Zulu performing melee at the hospital so fire is not a factor
Check Victory - honestly, I have no idea how to monitor victory in this. The British are easy - they win if they survive to the end. Also, they reduce the Zulu VP by 1 for every 47 SPs of Zulu warriors are killed. But for example, the Zulu get 5 VPs each turn they occupy the Water Cart zone (Zone J)...they only need 17 VPs to win.

That's the end of the first turn.

I had hoped given the manual was so thin that it would be fairly easy - but it could've done with some other detail in it. For example, there's a British Victory Point counter - but what's it for? The British don't seem to get any VPs - they only reduce the Zulus VPs by 1 for every 47 SPs killed....is that used to track VPs as I kill Zulu units even though the Zulu have no SP? That's not clear...but that's the only thing I can think it's for.

The bayonet charge. It's not clear what's sop special about it...except that it happens after melee and regardless of whether melee occurred or not. So kind of an additional melee. But "charge" insinuates that they move into the Zulu zone. Can they do a charge over walls? Seems unlikely - and so when does it happen because Zulu do not enter a zone unless it's empty...

The game is really quite simple - the mechanics are actually really good. I'm enjoying it - but there are big gaps in the manual - and that's why it's thin.

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:27 PM
Turn 2

British Replacements Phase
There are none. The British get 2 replacement points each turn. They cannot be carried over. They are used or lost. Only units with 1 SP can gain one of the replacement points and they can only get them in Zone G.

British Movement Phase
I move Bromhead and 2 SPs to from Zone E to Zone P
I move A C Dalton from Zone C to Zone K with 2 SPs
I move CSgt Bourne from Zone K to Zone I where Chard is
I then move the wounded squad from Zone P to Zone K - they are heading to Zone G to get patched up. I'll likely use A C Dalton to move him 2 spaces next turn.

Zulu Movement Phase
There are two parts to this - replacements and movement. If the Zulu have 30 SPs off the board (wounded) then they can bring them on...they don't.

For movement I roll 1 die. 1-2 they move 1 space left, 5-6 they move 1 space right and 3-4 they move forward - two spaces with a leader if they can.
NB - I don't think I did the random movement right for the Zulu. I stuck to the above description, but I have noticed there are modifiers which I didn't use - which give a better chance of the Zulu moving forward - I didn't do this on turn 3 either

So the Zulu move around and actually they rolled 1-2s and 5-6s - therefore not advancing but moving left and right.

British Fire Combat Phase next

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 06:24:43 AM
British Combat Phase

Zones A, B and C will attack the Zulus in Zone 17 at range 3

They score 3 hits

Zone H will fire on the Zulus in in Zone 18 at range 2

They score 5 hits

Zones I, L and O will fire on the Zulus in Zone 18 at range 3

They score 3 hits

Zones N and P will fire on the Zulus in Zone 13 at range 2

They scored 6 hits

Zone K will fire on the Zulus in Zone 14 at range 2

They score 2 hits (no image!)

Zulu Random Fire Phase
I don't have any image of this but the Zulu rolled 6 dice and scored 1 hit in Zone C

Melee Combat
There are no units adjacent to each other

British Bayonet Charge
There are no units adjacent to each other

Hospital Phase
There are no Zulu performing melee at the hospital so fire is not a factor

Check Victory
No VP change for the Zulu, but if I'm doing it correctly, the British have 1VP due to the Zulu having lost 47 SPs of units

I think now I've seen the movement modifiers for the Zulu, things might get more hairy for the British
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:26:49 AM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 01:33:42 PM
Turn 3

British Replacement Phase
There are no units waiting on replacements - though there are two units now needing them

British Movement Phase
A tough one this - because the Zulu move before you get to fire - so it's a lottery whether you can move into the right areas. However, I have just realised that I don't need to protect the entire compound...Again however - I also have to be wary if there are Zulu reinforcements coming in (Zulu reinforcements come on when the Zulus have 30 wounded at the side waiting to come on - and they do now)

I don't know who moved where - but I have moved AC Dalton and the reduced squad two spaces from Zone K to Zone C and the reduced squad from Zone B to Zone c - both can enter Zone G next turn and get an upgrade back to full health.

I kind of moved troops around hoping I cover where the Zulu will move.

Zulu Movement Phase
I roll for each Zulu zone. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't done the movement right and I'll rectify this next turn.

What is significant is the Zulu return 30 of their wounded as replacements and they enter in Zone 17

What is also significantly is the Zulu force in Zone 14 to Zone 5. Bad news? Surely - however Not only do the British inflict damage on 3,4,5 and 6 now, but they also get Volley Fire because Bromhead is present

British Fire Combat Phase
Bromhead and his squads in Zone P open fire at point blank range on the Zulus in Zone 5. Volley Fire means they get 3 dice per SP...so they get to roll 21 dice instead of 7. They also get a hit on 3-6. They score 10 hits. Pretty devastating.

Melee Combat Phase
During melee, both side perform it at the same time and injuries are set at the end. The British get a hit on 5 or 6 and the Zulu get a hit on a 6. However, because the British are attacking over a wall, they get a hit on a 4-6.

The Zulu get to roll 14 dice. They roll 3 6s so score 3 hits. The British roll 7 dice and score 5 hits.

British Bayonet Charge Phase
I'm not entirely sure about this mechanic. I didn't perform it...I think I read on BGG that they only perform that inside the compound...makes sense I thought. 

Hospital Phase
No need - no Zulu near the Hospital

Victory Conditions
Zulu still have none but the British are on 1 because they managed to kill at least 47 Zulu warriors. Their count is currently on 35 - so another 12 and they get another VP - at least I think that's how it works.

This is how the situation stands. Bromhead is in trouble. When a British leader is lost, they are lost. I need replacements in here - but where from?

Turn 4 next - and the Zulu have 35 warriors waiting in the wings!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:35:55 PM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:27 PM
 :bitenails: :bitenails: :bitenails:

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 03:58:23 PM
Is there an equivalent to Strength Points? Is each SP one soldier/warrior?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 04:42:02 PM
That really does look like an excellent game.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'