Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Study Conducted Using Wargaming  (Read 3581 times)

trailrunner

• Corporal
on: March 01, 2021, 12:16:53 PM

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RRA423-1.html

This report came across my work feed this morning.  I have not had a chance to read it in detail, other than recognizing one of the authors.

To do they study, they used a system called "A Fistful Of TOWs 3," which is a modern miniatures system (which I'm not familiar with).  In my mind, it's noteworthy (in a good way) that they used a tabletop system rather than a complex, digital simulation, as is usually done.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 04:17:06 PM
I agree, using a commercial tabletop game is a good thing and well worth noting.

"Remotely operated robotic combat vehicles (RCVs) had distinct disadvantages that were easily exploitable relative to fully autonomous RCVs and manned vehicles."

On the other hand, speaking as a CS guy who has survived a few AI winters, please don't underestimate the ability of engineers to spew more crap than a fire plug spews water after being hit by a TOW.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
please don't underestimate the ability of engineers to spew more crap than a fire plug spews water after being hit by a TOW.

:2funny:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:57:15 AM
Hey, now....  >:(

;D

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Capn Darwin

• Trooper
  • Rocket Scientist and Game Designer
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 04:17:16 PM
 :o  hey now, engineers are good people with complex feelings, most of them, ok, some of them, on occasions...