Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Combat Mission  (Read 3475 times)

judgedredd

on: May 03, 2021, 03:44:16 PM
Just going to vent again about this game.

It proper irks me that I can't shoot at an enemy because I don't have LoS to the base of the location. I'm currently expected to charge up a freaking hill - with no cover fire because nothing can fire in the general direction because of some "reverse slope" bollox.

The Germans on the other hand have full LoS and can demolish me heading up the hill.

This - THIS - is exactly why I leave this game for months on end and then go back to it to realise why the hell I left it alone all those months ago.

I'm not whinging here about a LoS issue - I just want to lay down suppressive fire - but the game's shitty LoS system won't allow it - no LoS to the base = no fire AT ALL.

One of the worst examples I've came across regarding this was a second story building with an MG squad in it...happily plugging away at my units - and I couldn't target them at all - because I didn't have LoS to the base square they were occupying - even though the second floor was in full view of my units!

Mother :censored:

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:44:46 PM
Just going to vent again about this game.

It proper irks me that I can't shoot at an enemy because I don't have LoS to the base of the location. I'm currently expected to charge up a freaking hill - with no cover fire because nothing can fire in the general direction because of some "reverse slope" bollox.

The Germans on the other hand have full LoS and can demolish me heading up the hill.

This - THIS - is exactly why I leave this game for months on end and then go back to it to realise why the hell I left it alone all those months ago.

I'm not whinging here about a LoS issue - I just want to lay down suppressive fire - but the game's shitty LoS system won't allow it - no LoS to the base = no fire AT ALL.

One of the worst examples I've came across regarding this was a second story building with an MG squad in it...happily plugging away at my units - and I couldn't target them at all - because I didn't have LoS to the base square they were occupying - even though the second floor was in full view of my units!

Mother :censored:

Rage quit to go read my board game manual!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 06:55:01 PM
And the whole thing made you so furious, that you had to rant about it twice.  :biggrin: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 11:08:18 PM
Some of my greatest and....least greatest moments in gaming have come from Combat Mission.  :face:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:37:13 AM
Some of my greatest and....least greatest moments in gaming have come from Combat Mission.  :face:
Absolutely.

But I've got 200 yards to run up a hill...and without suppressing fire, I don't stand a chance.  :waah:

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 01:38:25 AM
And the whole thing made you so furious, that you had to rant about it twice.  :biggrin:
Ha...I went to edit but accidentally selected quote...and I took the quote tags out and thought (brain fart moment) that doing so would revert to editing.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:07:00 PM
Two hundred yards uphill huh? Well maybe they'll run out of ammo before you get to the top. Could happen.  :whistle:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 02:31:40 AM
No smoke? Can you target the lip of the hill and get an mg to provide suppressing fire?

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 06:38:23 AM
It's not really about how to go about getting up there...I could go round.

The rant was about it's shitty LoS. Germans have LoS to me. I click the unit and the German icon is highlighted - indicating LoS - but I can't fire at them - "You know where they are - you can see them - you just can't fire at them".

I can't take a screenshot - anytime I try to using my tool it's just blank. I'll try and set it to window mode or something to show the problem.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 12:49:59 PM
I've had that problem many times and it is aggravating.  :face:  Usually one or some of the unit trying to get a LoS to the target is out of position or blocked. You might try spliting the squad into sections to see if one of them can see the enemy. Or waiting a moment for the LoS to correct itself. Or you could try targeting as close to the enemy as you can see and firing-off some shots at that spot and maybe the enemy might reveal themselves or your guys might see them that way. Might work.