Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Red Storm  (Read 3264 times)

judgedredd

on: April 22, 2021, 11:08:00 AM
Apparently it's a beast...but I eventually got my head around (mostly) Fields of Fire...so I took the challenge

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 11:11:44 AM
That really does look cool but I heard it's not too solo friendly.

Looking forward to your views.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 12:51:26 PM
There's 4 solo scenarios. I know that's not alot - but there's also solitaire rules in the rule book so hopefully they apply to all missions/campaigns and not just the solo scenarios.

However - other games I have are not totally solo friendly so I took a punt I'd be able to relax some stuff to play solo.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 02:31:51 PM
 :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 02:52:34 PM
I'm getting quite good about not being overly ocd on the rules... after all, I play solo  :biggrin:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 04:46:19 PM
I'd had this on my radar a while but decided to give up on it. It does have some solo aspects to it but it seemed highly complex to learn for just four scenarios out of something like 25-30 total, as if it were tacked on as an option. Not that this is a bad thing, it just didn't appeal to me that much. I'd still like to hear your thoughts on it, JD.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 05:54:51 PM
Yeah - it says
While Red Storm is best played with two or more players, with relatively minor changes it also makes an excellent solitaire game. These rules offer players two choices: modifications to the rules to smooth “limited” solo play and a more fulsome solitaire experience using a series of charts and tables that form a “bot” to play against using “full” solo rules. Limited solo play will work with any of the scenarios in the game. The full solitaire game requires specially designed solitaire scenarios that set scenario conditions but also allow for variation in the scenarios each time they are played.
It goes on to say about doing what makes sense when playing with Limited Solo Play rules. I can live with that...after all, it's how I play LnL games and alot of other games I have.

I knew it wasn't solitaire but I love the era. Also - I know the rules look like work - but honestly, getting through Fields of Fire has taught me there aren't many rules out there that will stump you...not if you've managed to get through FoF.  :2funny:

I've watched some videos. There's a lot of lookups (5 double sided player aid cards I think!) and lots of niggly things to remember - but again, that just reminds me of FoF...I'm still looking up the rules to refresh when it comes to playing a specific aspect...I can just look it up faster now.

I am looking forward to it - but I still have FoF on my table - it's just not going anywhere at the minute. I'll use the "table in use" time to read the manual.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 02:26:51 PM
but honestly, getting through Fields of Fire has taught me there aren't many rules out there that will stump you...

Fair point, you get through FoF you can get through anything, brother  ;D

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 05:39:15 AM
Noice

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 08:31:42 AM
but honestly, getting through Fields of Fire has taught me there aren't many rules out there that will stump you...

Fair point, you get through FoF you can get through anything, brother  ;D

Clearly, you've never attempted a game of Federation and Empire.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 09:33:02 AM
Clearly, you've never attempted a game of Federation and Empire.

Incorrect. I owned that game back in the day.

I attempted it numerous times. Played it? Ehhh...  :whistle: