Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Cities Skylines II  (Read 7258 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: June 13, 2023, 04:17:19 AM
Dang.  Just four months away. 

I confess to being tempted, despite having barely played the first one.  But then, I've always been a fool.  :crazy2: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 05:15:39 AM
Same boat - I think I have 3 hours in the first but I can see let’s play that last months and months of game time

I have workers and resources but expect this to be much more polished

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 08:47:57 PM
Enjoyed the first one and looking forward to this. Although my cheap self will probably wait until it goes on sale, in which case I'll be behind on about 40 DLCs  :)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 07:28:52 PM
Feature Highlight #1 - Road Tools: 

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features/road-tools

As both a gamer and lifelong "road geek", this has me automatically salivating.  :D 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 08:38:51 PM
I like what I'm seeing. Really like that roads will also carry water and electric under them now as I usually aligned my water pipes with roads anyway.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 02:43:59 AM
Feature #2: Traffic AI

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features/traffic-ai

As with TCT, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.  This bit towards the beginning of the dev diary made me a little gob-smacked, however: 

Pathfinding works in a different way in Cities: Skylines II than its predecessor. In Cities: Skylines pathfinding was proximity-based, meaning agents would calculate their destinations or order services by straight line distance without taking the existing road network into account.

Holy crap.  Given that, I'm amazed that traffic in the current game works as well as it does.  :o 

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 12:01:45 PM
Feature #2: Traffic AI

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features/traffic-ai

As with TCT, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.  This bit towards the beginning of the dev diary made me a little gob-smacked, however: 

Pathfinding works in a different way in Cities: Skylines II than its predecessor. In Cities: Skylines pathfinding was proximity-based, meaning agents would calculate their destinations or order services by straight line distance without taking the existing road network into account.

Holy crap.  Given that, I'm amazed that traffic in the current game works as well as it does.  :o

It was one of the main reasons I stopped playing the original...nothing you did to ease traffic, aside from start again, helped to ease congestion. There was lots to love about the game, but that particular flaw was very annoying. Build and create to a certain point, then start again  :waiting:

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 01:46:03 PM
I still have fond memories of the original Sim City.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 07:58:30 PM
I played SimCity 4 on GOG, though not anytime recently.  It was a fun game. 

I couldn't get Cities: Skylines to run very well on my previous computer (probably due to it being a POS), and I've never really gotten around to trying it out much on my new one.  CS2, however, I might actually have to grab once it's out. 

I've always enjoyed creating cities and watching them grow.  I used to draw them on paper as a kid (like, *all* the time ::) ), so games like these were kind of a natural extension of that hobby. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 08:36:11 PM
I was a stick men battlefield drawer and submarines for some reason

Whilst I’m looking forward to CS2 I think I have my city itch scratched by workers republic I think - although it looks much fancier

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 02:30:58 PM
Feature Highlight #3 - Public & Cargo Transportation: 

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features/public-cargo-transportation

Options appear to be about what I expected, though with better UI and QoL improvements for managing them.  Looks like the Transportation Overview and (especially) new Line Tool should useful in managing this a bit easier. 

Whilst I’m looking forward to CS2 I think I have my city itch scratched by workers republic I think - although it looks much fancier

Yeah, that game seems to be your jam.  You've definitely been having a fun time with it. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 08:02:21 PM
Feature Highlight #4 - Zones & Signature Buildings: 

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features/zones-signature-buildings

Nice, meaty dev diary.  I suspect the section on Land Value and Building Levels is going to particularly interest those who really want to get into the nuts & bolts of this game. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 08:17:57 PM
Can’t wait!  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 09:21:43 PM

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 02:10:55 PM
Feature Highlight #5 - City Services: 

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features/city-services-districts-policies

Curious to see how Districts and Policies will work in the sequel.  Sounds like they should offer an extra degree of customization.