Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 199911 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #675 on: January 28, 2021, 05:09:51 PM
none of the ones I knew did, but most of the Germans I knew weren't listening to them, either.  They were far more fascinated by Thompson Twins and Madonna and BAP and Bryan Adams and Tears for Fears.  It was my American friends that were the metalheads

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #676 on: January 28, 2021, 07:52:23 PM
Who was the German girl who did, "Ninety-Nine Luft-Ballons"? Damn, she sure sounded hot whatever she was singing. Only thing I can remember now was, "Captain Kirk".

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #677 on: January 28, 2021, 08:12:55 PM
Who was the German girl who did, "Ninety-Nine Luft-Ballons"? Damn, she sure sounded hot whatever she was singing. Only thing I can remember now was, "Captain Kirk".

Nena

and oddly enough, not a ton of fans of hers when I was living there

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #678 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:39 PM
I was a fan, though I did not live in Germany at the time or any time before or after. I have visited there, if that counts.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #679 on: January 28, 2021, 11:23:07 PM
Yeah, that's her, Nena.  :dreamer:

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #680 on: January 29, 2021, 12:15:20 AM
Yeah I'm very familiar with both the book and movie. But the younger generation have no clue was my point. They've never heard of Murphy or his story most of them, which is a real shame. He still is the most decorated soldier in U.S. History correct? And he wasn't a half-bad actor either.

I believe so; however, while confirming this I learned that Army Col. Robert Lewis Howard is often compared to Murphy for the amount of combat decorations awarded to him during his tours in Vietnam. Col. Howard was nominated three times for the Medal of Honor for three separate actions. Amazing!  You can learn more about Col. Howard from these two articles:

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #681 on: January 29, 2021, 12:30:39 AM

I realize this isn't the Jukebox thread, so I won't embed the YouTube link to my favorite Nena album here; however, Sir Slash, if you like Nena and haven't heard her complete first album from 1983, you are missing out. You can find her, (almost), entire album here. The only song missing is 99 Luftballons, which you can find elsewhere on YouTube. Enjoy!

judgedredd

Reply #682 on: January 29, 2021, 08:20:25 AM

I realize this isn't the Jukebox thread, so I won't embed the YouTube link to my favorite Nena album here; however, Sir Slash, if you like Nena and haven't heard her complete first album from 1983, you are missing out. You can find her, (almost), entire album here. The only song missing is 99 Luftballons, which you can find elsewhere on YouTube. Enjoy!
I love her music...including the very lovely In meinem Leben

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #683 on: January 29, 2021, 12:36:27 PM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #684 on: February 04, 2021, 10:45:29 PM
Great article. And Thank you Tolstoi.  :applause:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #685 on: February 14, 2021, 09:25:26 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTUUOuYtpmE

Happy Valentine's Day.
Happy birthday, Bismarck

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #686 on: May 05, 2021, 11:24:54 AM
Two events that changed world history.

On this date in 1821, Napoleon died in exile.

On this date in 1822, Harry Paget Flashman was born.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #687 on: June 06, 2021, 10:17:09 AM
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:30:38 PM by besilarius »

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #688 on: June 07, 2021, 07:41:20 PM
www.bbc.com.news.uk-england-hampshire-14933341.amp

Rodney at Normandy.
Like the story of shooting at Caen.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:45:37 PM by besilarius »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #689 on: June 07, 2021, 07:46:10 PM
I'm getting another link error. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike