Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: NYT Covers Scramble for Africa Controversy  (Read 28711 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 01:18:33 PM
I see a lot more idiots at Cons wearing leftist insanity glorifying communists than I do Nazi/Confederate stuff.

Sigh... stuff like this does not help. What age were the "idiots" wearing the "leftist insanity glorifying communists" stuff? Most I'd gather were too young to even understand what they were wearing...
And just what is "leftist insanity glorifying communists" stuff?
Jackholes wearing SS anything know exactly what they are wearing....

Not necessarily.  Out here on the west coast, I’ve met a handful of middle aged radicals sporting Che shirts, hammer and sickle hats and pins, and even a Mao hat.  They all worked in education and After having had to endure their babble, I’m convinced they’re all adherents.  I also saw a fair number of young  cosplay girls dressed up as Nazis at a con in Osaka and I’m pretty sure they were doing it because of Hugo Boss, not Lebensraum. 

I try to avoid fanatics of any stripe.  I find them tiring. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:47 PM

This.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 01:43:59 PM

This.

Hey, I've only worn my Starfleet uniform twice!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 01:50:13 PM

This.

No one wants to hear about yer sexlife….

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 01:58:09 PM
He did it with a Horta.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 02:04:53 PM
Ensigns are easy.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:17 PM

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 02:25:14 PM

This.

Dude! I ran a game of Federation Commander at a con last year.  I spent a lot of time designing and playtesting a scenario for it beforehand with a few different groups and, after a bit of balancing, it was very well received.  Romulan players liked the risk/reward involved with the experimental weapon system.  Federation players liked the uncertainty/discovery aspect of the scenario.

Day of the con came and I had a full slate of players signed up.  Sadly two of them were hardcore Star Trek/Star Fleet Battles nerds.  One spend several turns moaning about how the scenario background  was wrong because the Romulans wouldn't do that!  And they'd never have weapons like these on their ships!...blah blah blah.  Then both SFB players got ganked hard because they assumed some of the core rules between Federation Commander and SFB would be the same.  They weren't and shields in FC are far less robust than in SFB.  End result= total disaster of a session. 

God damned Trekkies...Just shut up and play the game.  I thought the scenario was pretty cool myself. 

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 02:30:06 PM
I thought the scenario was pretty cool myself.

looks very cool :bigthumb:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 04:35:21 PM

This.

Dude! I ran a game of Federation Commander at a con last year.  I spent a lot of time designing and playtesting a scenario for it beforehand with a few different groups and, after a bit of balancing, it was very well received.  Romulan players liked the risk/reward involved with the experimental weapon system.  Federation players liked the uncertainty/discovery aspect of the scenario.

Day of the con came and I had a full slate of players signed up.  Sadly two of them were hardcore Star Trek/Star Fleet Battles nerds.  One spend several turns moaning about how the scenario background  was wrong because the Romulans wouldn't do that!  And they'd never have weapons like these on their ships!...blah blah blah.  Then both SFB players got ganked hard because they assumed some of the core rules between Federation Commander and SFB would be the same.  They weren't and shields in FC are far less robust than in SFB.  End result= total disaster of a session. 

God damned Trekkies...Just shut up and play the game.  I thought the scenario was pretty cool myself.

Which is funny because other Star Trek nerds would have bitched to them about how Star Fleet Battles isn't real Star Trek.  ;D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #40 on: August 02, 2019, 06:46:04 PM
the thread in the WGers group on FB got nuked.  The surprise isn't that it got nuked, but that it took 48 hours to get nuked.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2019, 08:00:28 PM
BBMike - since you have kept your young, girlish figure - you can still fit into the Starfleet Uniform of your younger days.  Unlike Shatner who needed a "fat fold" in his uniform to hide his expanding dimensions.

True.  ;D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #42 on: August 02, 2019, 08:00:47 PM
the thread in the WGers group on FB got nuked.  The surprise isn't that it got nuked, but that it took 48 hours to get nuked.

Truth.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #43 on: August 03, 2019, 01:38:34 AM

goddamn SJWs running Facebook

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 12:32:08 AM

Hey, I'm a Trekkie!  And I think it looked/sounded fun. 

(I haven't been to a con in forever, dang it.  I miss it...) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike