Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228499 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #375 on: October 11, 2019, 06:51:29 PM
Club Game Day tomorrow. Two sessions. I'll be doing Modern Spearhead in the AM and Signal Close Action in the PM. Looking forward to a full day of gaming and some post-action drinking and shit talking.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #376 on: October 12, 2019, 06:36:24 AM
I'm meeting up with my two old gaming buddies this afternoon. Not sure what we'll be playing yet. We probably review where we're at with the Vassal game of 'To take Washington' that we've been playing for the last few weeks in a sort of experimental 'kriegspiel' fashion.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #377 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:33 PM
Here are a few pics from the club Game Day this past Saturday. The first couple are from a Modern Spearhead 'War that Never Was' scenario. The Soviets were defending against a NATO counterattack to seal a breach in the NATO lines. The Sovs (my side) won handily - mostly due to the greater experience of the Soviet players.

The Age of Sail pics are from the Signal Close Action game. This was a "what-if" scenario that posited Trafalgar didn't happen and the Royal Navy met a combined French-Spanish squadron off Cape Finisterre. It was a bar brawl that ended in an Allied victory (my side again, I had a good day).

I'm going to try to put together a full AAR for the Signal Close Action game. I have a lot more pics and it was a great game. The fast-play rules for SCA are very nice. Streamlined but not to the point that it felt gamey, just some detail left out. We were able to fight the battle to a definite conclusion in four hours and we were all new to the rules. Even the full rule book isn't dense. I'm probably going to buy both versions of the rules.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #378 on: October 16, 2019, 06:19:23 AM
Excellent! looks like a lot of fun, especially the Age of Sail stuff.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #379 on: October 16, 2019, 03:37:12 PM
So, rosters for the fleet?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #380 on: October 16, 2019, 03:39:52 PM
So, rosters for the fleet?

I'll see if I can get that for the AAR.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #381 on: October 16, 2019, 04:17:16 PM
That Age of Sail stuff...

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #382 on: October 16, 2019, 04:19:42 PM
That Age of Sail stuff...

You did notice that we're doing some of that "AoS Stuff" for SNF on Saturday, right?

Sayin...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #383 on: October 24, 2019, 09:04:07 PM
Have my usual Stellaris campaign going.  Have also fired up Field of Glory: Empires; will see if I can make a go of it as Bactria. 

Finally, I've started playing a beta build of Dominus Galaxia, a new space 4x inspired by the original MOO (*not* MOO2, thank the gods).  His Kickstarter campaign launches tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to tossing a few florins his way. 

On the other hand, time to finally get Too Many Bones up on the table and give it a go.  I'm looking forward to getting crushed beneath the weight of a monster's health stack and the components themselves.

Heard a lot of good things about this, but it's so expensive it's avoided my grasp (thankfully). I already have too many dungeon crawlers (coughGloomhavencough - lol). But I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.

So, yeah. Finally back to this. It's really good. It suffers from the same problem that so many co-ops can where sometimes the game just piledrives you through the damn floor, but it's really good despite that. Each of the 4 characters in the base box is completely unique, with totally unique skill dice for you to unlock and develop as you play. I like it enough that I've ordered 2 more characters as well.

It is still REALLY goddamn expensive, though.

Welcome back, AC!  Was starting to wonder where you were at, so great timing.  8)

Yeah, been a little busy so I've had to vanish on and off. Obviously.  ;D Hopefully that's dispensed with now.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #384 on: October 25, 2019, 05:20:45 AM
Betwixt sleeping and working there will be endless space 2, steel division and painting minis

I was scheduled for a table at my gaming club with bolt action, in practice for a tournament in November but the admin gods have me at work so that’s rain checked

Sunday should be a drive to the bolt action hq for some more minis

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #385 on: October 25, 2019, 05:48:46 AM
Hopefully I'll have finished making all the bits for the PnP version of 'The Scheldt campaign' so I'll be on with that.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #386 on: October 25, 2019, 06:33:10 AM
Hopefully I'll have finished making all the bits for the PnP version of 'The Scheldt campaign' so I'll be on with that.

I’m interested in what you think, Bob. I like most of Brian’s games.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #387 on: October 25, 2019, 06:36:36 AM
I've been playing around with it on Vassal and I like it a lot. Its a neat system and a very interesting campaign. I would have purchased the boxed game but its a daft price in the UK, there being only one distributor for Hollandspiele, but the PNP version is not turning out too bad.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #388 on: October 25, 2019, 09:30:31 AM
Maybe we should get a VASSAL PBEM game going.

I'll pick up a copy of the PnP version too if you want to play.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #389 on: October 25, 2019, 09:37:06 AM
Maybe we should get a VASSAL PBEM game going.

I'll pick up a copy of the PnP version too if you want to play.

Yeah can do, also note that you can download the rules - the Vassal mod is pretty good.