Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228484 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #405 on: October 31, 2019, 08:09:51 AM
I give it a week before you have some BSG minis

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #406 on: October 31, 2019, 08:15:03 AM
I wish!

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #407 on: October 31, 2019, 10:10:36 AM
+1

Interesting game but I'm out of the minis hunt for a while. Just sold my X-Wing Minis collection finally.

Nice models  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #408 on: October 31, 2019, 10:25:55 AM
Yeah they were. Hated to get rid of them but I'd never played it nor would I have time or space to do so.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #409 on: October 31, 2019, 10:46:05 AM
Smoke them frakkin' Toasters SDR!  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #410 on: October 31, 2019, 12:33:12 PM
Smoke them frakkin' Toasters SDR!  :bigthumb:

Toaster-ist!

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #411 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:20 PM
Do those BSG minis come pre-painted and shaded?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #412 on: October 31, 2019, 10:03:01 PM
Yup.  The level of detail is pretty amazing on the Vipers.  They even have individual pilot callsigns painted on the side.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #413 on: October 31, 2019, 10:16:56 PM
Wow!

There's no chance I'd ever get the chance to game with them but I might want a Raptor or Raider to put on my monitor at work, just to see who recognizes what it is.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #414 on: October 31, 2019, 10:29:36 PM
The paint job on the Raptors and heavy Raiders isn't as detailed and is kind of generic.

Here's a YT unboxing video.  He does a side by side comparison of the 3 versions of the Raptor but only shows one of the 3 heavy Raiders.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:37:58 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #415 on: November 01, 2019, 02:38:08 AM
We started to play the BSG scenario this afternoon but had to quit just as the shooting started because my buddy got called into work. 

I played the toasters and my friend played the Humies.  He immediately slammed the throttles full forward and hooked to the left.  I hung back because I knew the Raptor had to come in and scan the planets.  (And because the scenario doesn't let the Cylons use their FTL drives to do micro-jumps across the map).

I don't know why I enjoy minis games that involve a lot of manoeuvre and spatial relations because I'm really, really bad at it.  Put a rock out anywhere on the map and I'll somehow find a way to crash into it.  Here are the manoeuvre cards I cleverly planned for my two Raiders.  You'll note that the one on the left is now steering right for an asteroid.  I'm THE BEST PILOT EVER!!!!

I somehow managed to miss the asteroid with no-name Cylon but then manage to send Scar crashing through a different field one turn later.  You can see him just overlapping the edge as the No-Name pilots exchange long range fire. Thankfully I drew a zero damage chit.

Damage is determined by drawing a chit when you get hit.  You keep the damage secret from your opponent so they never know how badly they've hit you unless you suffer a type of crit that requires you to inform them.  I took 3 damage (hull can take 16 dmg before the ship goes boom) and whiffed on my shot.

You use cards to plan your move and then everyone reveals their first card.  Each ship moves and then has a chance to fire.  Then each player reveals their second move card (usually a bluff unless you're overboosting or rotating so that you're no longer facing your vector of movement.  You can spin and face sideways and strafe as you drift along in your original direction of movement, etc), ships move and those that didn't fire after their first card can fire again.

Here's everyone's movement plans for the next turn when things are about to get interesting.  Starbuck has a special ability that allows her to change her speed after seeing everyone's card.

Starbuck slammed on the brakes and here's where everyone ended up.

Scar shot up Starbuck but she couldn't return fire against him as he was just out of her firing arc.  Instead she and No-Name tag teamed my No-Name pilot.  I lucked out and only took 8 points of damage (against Starbuck, that was very, very lucky).  My No-Name shot up his.

And that's when we had to stop.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #416 on: November 01, 2019, 08:05:34 AM
Action planning and reveal sounds a lot like Wings of Glory.
The vector momentum travel sounds like a cool addition.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #417 on: November 01, 2019, 08:37:56 AM
Yup.  The level of detail is pretty amazing on the Vipers.  They even have individual pilot callsigns painted on the side.

All that technology and they can't develop something to allow you to step anywhere on a viper wing?  :P

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #418 on: November 01, 2019, 03:37:13 PM
Action planning and reveal sounds a lot like Wings of Glory.
The vector momentum travel sounds like a cool addition.

Same designer of Wings of Glory so it's got a lot of similarities.  BSG is a lot more involved than Wings though.  Manoeuvre cards have 4 different options depending on your speed (like Sails of Glory). You also have to keep track of your ship's kinetic energy because that affects your inertia and drift if you rotate to a new vector and apply thrust in that direction (kinda like skidding or drifting in Car Wars).  Ships have different acceleration ratings and that limits how much you can alter your kinetic energy by each turn.  Manoeuvres have G-force values assigned to them and you can't exceed that value without incurring damage.  Some ships have the ability to using FTL to do micro-jumps around the map but there's the possibility of mis-jumping and ending up in an asteroid field and going boom.  Pilots have talents and flaws they can use but unlike X-Wing, they have finite uses so you have to plan judiciously.  Your opponent decides when to apply one of your flaws against you but that's not a sure thing and you have to roll to see if you pilot can overcome the flaw.

Fun system but it can be a lot to keep track of (and it's way too easy to accidentaly put one ship's manoeuvre card into the wrong deck.)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #419 on: November 01, 2019, 04:05:33 PM
Camp Con 2019 this weekend

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.