Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228482 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #615 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:26 PM
No, not the games, generally speaking. I only referenced the publisher, and not the games.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #616 on: May 30, 2020, 04:05:32 PM
I don't think most of us have a problem with the Tiny Battles games.

You have to play games in order to have a problem with them.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #617 on: May 30, 2020, 06:29:19 PM
About my only semi-negative experience in wargaming that I've had came from Tiny Battles.  I don't know anything about the individual people involved, but it was not a win for customer service.  And the game I bought was a bit lame, too.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #618 on: May 30, 2020, 07:19:00 PM
About my only semi-negative experience in wargaming that I've had came from Tiny Battles.  I don't know anything about the individual people involved, but it was not a win for customer service.  And the game I bought was a bit lame, too.
which tiny battles game did you think was lame ... or was that a plural?
I've heard good things about DEVIL WILL PAY and OPERATION ICARUS looks interesting ...

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #619 on: May 30, 2020, 07:28:57 PM
which tiny battles game did you think was lame ... or was that a plural?
I've heard good things about DEVIL WILL PAY and OPERATION ICARUS looks interesting ...

Rifles in the Ardennes.  A lot of people seemed to like it, but I just didn't get it.  Besides not really liking the game, I got one of the earliest editions and the rules and scenarios had some big problems.  Maybe they've tightened things up since then.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #620 on: May 30, 2020, 07:43:54 PM
Ouch, I think I have the early edition as well. Once I picked up and played Warfighter Pacific I didn't think Rifles in the Ardennes would hold up anyway.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #621 on: May 31, 2020, 08:01:14 AM
The one really good system they produced that I reviewed and invested in other expansions for is 'In The Trenches'

What put me off is that the later games, or so I was told, had been 'interfered with' by the publisher. One of the bigger expansions alluded to the use of certain units which were provided in the counter-mix, but no scenario's for them were included in the game. I took this up with the publisher and was told that I should be grateful hat they had given me some 'free extra counters'

It was also obvious that the later expansion had not had a lot of  proofreading or play testing done on them, and, whilst you have to expect that lower price games are not going to be of the same physical quality as more expensive ones from bigger publisher, things like die cutting left a lot to be desired and both maps and counters were printed on very thin material.

If the series were to be published by another company, cleaned up and more robust materials used, I would buy it without hesitation, as its unquestionably a very nice WW1 tactical system.

I rest my case!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:41:26 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #622 on: June 01, 2020, 09:51:47 AM
I had gotten a game (Devil's To Pay) from them which is from a series I otherwise really enjoy.  But, the counters were so poorly punched and so absolutely off center that I almost returned the game.  Most of the pieces I had to cut out with an exacto knife. It's ashame because the other elements like the actual gameplay was great, but I've read about other people who've had this same issue with them.  Some other obvious typos in the rulebook, and one or two on the reference charts as well.  In itself it's not game-breaking,  but it's sloppy.  With so many other small publishers putting out good quality work I would really hesitate to order anything in the future from TBP.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #623 on: June 01, 2020, 04:51:48 PM
I had gotten a game (Devil's To Pay) from them which is from a series I otherwise really enjoy.  But, the counters were so poorly punched and so absolutely off center that I almost returned the game.  Most of the pieces I had to cut out with an exacto knife. It's ashame because the other elements like the actual gameplay was great, but I've read about other people who've had this same issue with them.  Some other obvious typos in the rulebook, and one or two on the reference charts as well.  In itself it's not game-breaking,  but it's sloppy.  With so many other small publishers putting out good quality work I would really hesitate to order anything in the future from TBP.

Sadly, this is a pretty common problem with their games. Sometimes they're fine, other times you get these issues. It's really an artifact of the price point for these games.

I think Vae Victis tends to do the folio/zip lock thing better. Despite having to deal with a French translation I generally find their rules to be cleaner. Map and counter artwork is nicer. TBP has struggled with not having a consistent hand at the helm for a few years, despite some pretty talented people being in the driver's seat for brief periods.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #624 on: June 01, 2020, 06:04:50 PM

Sadly, this is a pretty common problem with their games. Sometimes they're fine, other times you get these issues. It's really an artifact of the price point for these games.

I think Vae Victis tends to do the folio/zip lock thing better. Despite having to deal with a French translation I generally find their rules to be cleaner. Map and counter artwork is nicer. TBP has struggled with not having a consistent hand at the helm for a few years, despite some pretty talented people being in the driver's seat for brief periods.

so it is the production of the physical game not so much that the gameplay is messed up?
most stuff I purchase from them has been PNP ... and I convert directly to Tt or such ... my board gaming is almost all via tablet (IPAD or Andy) these days.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #625 on: June 01, 2020, 08:56:23 PM

I had the same problem with Rifles in the Ardennes - the counters were almost impossible to punch.  I also had to use an xacto knife, but what I really felt like I needed a saws-all, and I wound up mangling some counters.  I contacted the company several times to politely inform them of this, but I never received a response back.

I also contacted them about some big issues with the rulebook.  No answer.  I finally posted my questions on some forum somewhere, and the game developer did get back to me, but at that point I knew the game wasn't for me and gave up after playing just a few scenarios.

Overall not a real positive experience.  I will avoid the company in the future.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #626 on: June 01, 2020, 08:59:56 PM
Y'all should start up another thread for TBP

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #627 on: June 04, 2020, 07:15:23 AM
We're going to finish our ASL game that we started last weekend on VASL.  My internet dropped out in the middle of the second turn, which was surprising because it's normally pretty reliable.

I'm playing the Russians.  To win, I have to destroy a bunch of German units (not just capture buildings), which is pretty hard to do when they're in stone buildings.  And the Russians only have 5 turns, so they have to be aggressive.  I don't think that my attack is going well enough to get the job done that quickly, but sometimes games in ASL can suddenly shift in unexpected ways.  It will be fun either way.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #628 on: June 04, 2020, 10:55:10 AM
Looks like fun Trailrunner. Say, 'Hello' to Sgt. Steiner for me will you?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #629 on: June 04, 2020, 10:55:57 AM
Sgt. Steiner...that guy got around. He'd lead a squad for any schmuck!  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)