Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228500 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1080 on: May 02, 2022, 01:59:57 AM
Dw2 as I luckily or cleverly avoid any game breaking bugs or mishaps

And may have a cheeky purchase of nebulous

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1081 on: May 02, 2022, 04:39:48 AM
I worked all weekend, so very little gaming for me. 

During my days off, however, I'm trying hard to finish my current Stellaris campaign before the Overlord expansion and the Cepheus update drops.  (Yeah, my plans for getting into AI War 2 got derailed for the time being. :( )  I've also been playing a little Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition to help scratch a recent RPG itch. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1082 on: May 02, 2022, 04:46:30 AM
Oooo I forgot about stellaris - there is a rise and a company bonus bit of gaming money burning a hole in my pocket before falling frontier drops and I might update stellaris to current

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #1083 on: May 02, 2022, 07:25:26 AM
I played a game of Deluxe Advanced Squad Leader (DASL) with the local club, the DC Conscripts.  My opponent was a veteran player, with a very thorough knowledge of the rules and a correspondingly expert knowledge of tactics.  Meanwhile, I am still finding rules I need to learn, and my tactics development has been trial be fire.

DASL is ASL, but with bigger hexes.  There are a few minor tweaks to the rules in DASL, but otherwise it's the same.  The larger hexes make it much easier to handle the counters, and give the game a different feel.

The scenario was set in Russia in Winter 1942.  A strong force of elite and 1st line Germans were attacking elite Russians.  The Germans had to make it across an urban battlefield and exit enough units off the other side within 5.5 turns.  The German forces had a couple of MMGs, two demo charges, and a flamethrower, which can be particularly deadly in close-in urban combat.  The Russians were also well equipped, including an HMG, which is not common in Russian forces.

I was the defending Russians.  One of the hard parts of being a defender across a wide area is knowing where the attack is going to come.  You have to balance trying to defend all avenues of attack, taking advantage of terrain, and providing some ability to shift forces once the attack plan is revealed.  In this scenario there were no obvious attack vectors, so I came up with a balanced defense, with my HMG on the 2nd story of a stone building, and my LMGs generally forward. 

The Germans attacked primarily in the center and on my right.  There were enough forces in the center that I couldn't completely abandon my left flank.  The first two pictures show the situation in center and left, and on the right, around turn 2.  My opponent did a masterful job of maintaining concealment, while stripping my concealment.  That's an important tactic of the game I have to get better at.  The German attacks in the center bogged down, but on my right side, thee German LMGs and flamethrower were very successful, and folded my right flank.  I tried to get a leader over there to rally the troops, but I was a little too aggressive and he was broken when running in open ground.  A tactical mistake I made was keeping him close to the action, where he continuously got placed under DM (desperation morale), instead of routing him away some place safe where he could rally and return to the fight.  OTOH, even when he wasn't under DM, he refused to rally.

My defenders in the center got trapped in the two-hex wooden building.  The open ground behind them would have made it too dangerous for them to get to my right side to shore up the defense.  However, they did have good LOS down a key road, so this wasn't the end of the world, and they stalled some of the German forces in the middle.  I did manage to get one squad over to the right and into the large building that was my goal-line defense.  Along with the HMG still in this building, I had a pretty good defense going in to the last part of the game.  I did manage to break his squad carrying the FT, but they rallied right away and were getting close to my defenders.  He also moved some elite German squads with high firepower close in to the buildings.  However, with 1.5 turns remaining, he couldn't afford to waste time shooting - he had to get off the board fast.

Stacking in ASL is usually not a good idea, especially for defenders, but my defenders all wound up together in the same location.  This is partly due to my inexperience with stairwells in multi-hex buildings, but it's another thing that I have to get better at.  Having my defenders in the same location allowed my opponent to concentrate his firepower.  But with the protection of the stone building, his high firepower shots were not proving effective, and I thought I could ride it out for one more turn.  But during one of the attacks, the vagaries of the dice caused my defenders to go berserk.  Arrggghh  This meant that during my last turn, instead of skulking back in the safety of the rear of the stone building where they would not get fired on in defensive fire, they had to do the opposite: drop the HMG, run out of the building and into the open ground, and charge the nearest German unit in a mad frenzy.  At this point, the area in front of the building was filled with elite German squads, LMGs, and the flamethrower.  My troops died a crispy death.  On the next (and last) turn, the Germans walked across the finish line to win.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1084 on: May 02, 2022, 08:03:21 AM
sounds like it was a good time

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1085 on: May 02, 2022, 10:23:49 AM
I had a very quiet Saturday. A perfect day to make some progress on my campaign in WitE's Grand Campaign Monster. So I ended-up just sitting there, not able to think of a single thing brilliant to do.  :-\  Sometimes you just got to be in the Zone.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1086 on: May 02, 2022, 10:33:09 AM
I had to work all weekend to catch up with some deliverables. Still behind but in a better place than I was going in late Friday. Discovered yesterday that nearly 60 audio tracks I'd recorded were being cut off at the end by Camtasia, so I had to go into each and every one to add a couple of seconds to the end. Such a pain in the butt, but better to discover this now than after I did six full videos.

I did manage to read the rules for Nemesis. Also received a delivery for terrain for that game from an Etsy shop - spectacular 3D additions to the board. I also started sleeving cards for Ark Nova, another recent acquisition.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1087 on: May 02, 2022, 03:38:38 PM
Slash I'm playing PoE II as a human ranger. Right before the character generation session the player has the choice to be extra ornery and say 'no way am I facing the gods again' and I chose that, and then laughed my ass off as the game took me to the credits.

Always do what you feel is best.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1088 on: May 02, 2022, 10:47:15 PM
Damn, that was short.  :o  I guess the Gods aren't going to let you not face them again. Bunch of Control Freaks!  :nope:

judgedredd

Reply #1089 on: May 03, 2022, 01:49:42 AM
I played a game of Deluxe Advanced Squad Leader (DASL)....
I love the size of those maps...now that I could get into. One reason I haven't really dug out my ASL Starter Kit was the size of the counters

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1090 on: May 03, 2022, 07:27:53 AM
Slash I started for real last night, played for about 90 minutes. I don’t think I’ve used this word ever in my entire life but PoE2 is a charming game. I really like it.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1091 on: May 03, 2022, 11:41:07 AM
I did as well, both PoE's actually. The lighting is different in PoE 2 and there's several times as I recall, that having torches with your team is a must. Otherwise the Nasties in the dark places can slip right up to you. And when you do pull-out a light source, the shadows move with your group very eerily. It's almost spooky for lack of a better word. A beautiful game with fantastic water and fire graphics.  :bigthumb:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1092 on: May 03, 2022, 06:20:18 PM
[Eyes installing both Pillars of Eternity games on PC.]

(Nope, nope, nope.  Gotta focus...) 

Oooo I forgot about stellaris - there is a rise and a company bonus bit of gaming money burning a hole in my pocket before falling frontier drops and I might update stellaris to current

DO IT

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1093 on: May 03, 2022, 08:25:38 PM
^DO IT!!

I never finished the original PoE, but I got close.

PoE2 is a tier above the original in writing and production, I have to say.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #1094 on: May 03, 2022, 10:17:06 PM
I am travelling Saturday but I have the house to myself on Sunday so I am going to crank up the newest version of Falcon BMS. I also need to get some time in on my early version of Gunner-Heat-PC.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington