Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Massive Elite Dangerous Expedition to the "edge of the galaxy"  (Read 3300 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/08/thousands-perish-in-elite-dangerous-expedition-but-survivors-reach-the-edge-of-the-galaxy/

The Elite Dangerous expedition which saw 13,000 players set out to cross the galaxy in a long trip has finally ended after six months. Just over one quarter of those explorers touched down at Beagle Point last month, which is practically the furthest you can get from our own blazing sunball without leaving the known galaxy. A total of 3747 pilots made it, according to the organisers of the giganto-journey. However, this is a bittersweet moment, because thousands of other players bit the spacedust along the way.

Yes, I know Elite players respawn. But in this case players respawn ages away. Dying during a big explorathon in Elite means losing all your pricey exploration data, not to mention weeks and sometimes months of progress to the destination. It’s bad, which is probably why most pilots who died along the way to Beagle Point gave up the dream. 3000 players seemed to give up that dream willingly in the lonely expanse, self-destructing their vessels mid-journey, according to statistics compiled by Commander Qohen Leth.

On top of that, an estimated 2700 players crashed somewhere along the way. We already know many ships succumbed to high-gravity at one planetary body during the beginning of the journey. But it looks like many others fell to the heavy shackles of physics at some point. Interestingly, 620 of the pilots who crashed were not fazed. They simply woke up back at their last space station, clambered into another ship and set off to complete the journey, finally landing at Beagle Point. Brave and patient souls, I salute ye. However, not all who did not reach the finishing mark died. Some of them may still be out there, suspended in space thanks to being logged-out. Others turned back part-way through the trip.

That stats page is good for a perusal. There are some fun infographics with spaceship facts. Did you know: if you laid out all the ships that went on this expedition, it would cover the whole land mass of Portugal? Cool. There’s also a list of the most-used ship names, including “Discovery”, “Aurora” and “Serenity”. It is unknown how many of the 16 ships called “Icarus” survived the journey.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Its not the first time that its been done.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:56:54 PM
I've heard this is a good game. Over at GH I think it was JH that "broke down" to buy it. It was something like $125 at the time, wasn't it? Now I saw it on sale for less than ten bucks recently, lol.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 07:32:46 PM
I paid about $40-something back a couple of years ago but never had the time to really learn it.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:07 AM
I'd LOVE to try it but yeah, no way I have the time to invest in that.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)