Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Star Trek: Infinite  (Read 13067 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: June 08, 2023, 06:02:49 PM
Pardon my Klingon, but holy fucking shit: 

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/our-games/paradox-arc/star-trek-infinite

Published by Paradox.  Developed by the same guys as Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars (which I enjoyed, despite its flaws). 

Full reveal coming June 16, Picard Day.  It's gonna be a long week... 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 06:16:33 PM
Well that’s my erectile disfunction repaired - blimey

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 07:05:24 PM
But the trailer didn't really give much game information. :(
Hoping for something BotF-ish but expecting it will probably be Jar-Jar-ish.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 07:13:52 PM
Star Trek

Paradox

Picard

Nuff said

Although yes - clearly the devil is in the details but stellarisy gameplay with a ST overlay - nom nom nom

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 08:43:52 PM
4 races... where one is the Cardassians... ok.... with maybe the Borg fighting everyone....

Will need a lot more info before I get excited.  :nope:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 04:23:44 AM
Holly Molly,

I guess the success of Picard and the new Star Trek shows was a huge help for this to happen.

Best news since Master of Orion CtS!

Yep, it's going to be a long week

I suspect a game based on the Stellaris engine. More races will probably come with Dlcs (my guess). Just hope they don't use the starlanes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 04:26:59 AM by Anguille »

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 04:50:41 AM
Published by Paradox.  Developed by the same guys as Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars (which I enjoyed, despite its flaws). 
The problem with Master of Orion: CtS is that the support stopped so fast. I this game does well, we may have the same type of support Stellaris has got, which is great.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 08:34:44 AM
Definitely one to keep on my long range sensors. BotF has never enjoyed a worthy successor imho so fingers crossed....errrr, figuratively at least.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 09:20:15 AM
Some more info:

https://trekcentral.net/new-star-trek-infinite-game-revealed/

Star Trek: Infinite puts players in command of one of four major powers in the galaxy, each with individualized traits, stories, quests, and more to make their play feel distinct. With stunning visuals, difficult choices, and unique gameplay, this game allows players to experience a beloved franchise in a new way as they navigate contact with other empires and worlds.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 02:26:47 AM
Nice find, Anguille

Yes, of course we all want more than just the four playable factions.  But if they're individualized enough (as the blurb implies), that would balance things out somewhat.  And we all know there will be DLC adding more factions if the game is successful enough. 

I realize there are still plenty of reasons to be skeptical, but there are also good reasons to be hopeful as well.  For now, at least, I choose the latter.  :dreamer: 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 10:28:36 AM
So...this sort of sounds like it's a Birth of the Federation remake.

Oh, that's not at all a complaint or disdaining observation. I'm in!

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 01:46:11 PM
 :bigthumb:

Yeah, BOTF players have been coming out of the woodwork since Infinite was announced.  Sounds like we're all ready for a sequel! 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 03:27:07 AM
I realize there are still plenty of reasons to be skeptical, but there are also good reasons to be hopeful as well.  For now, at least, I choose the latter.  :dreamer:
I have been critical with Paradox approach (Dlcs) in the past but i am happy that they are behind this game as it means that the support could be long and good.

There's a leaked screenshot (of a beta version) which looks to be the starting point. It's really very much based on Stellaris. And there are minor races (among them the Bajor). Looking good enough for me. Based on the screenshot, i would guess that we are dealing with a scenario for the first game (with a strong storyline and tasks like in Stellaris). Bajor is correctly placed between the Federation and the Cardassians. The neutral zone is clear to be seen between the Federation and the Romulans as well. Pretty sure we'll have a wormhole near Bajor. Probably also an option to have a free map. I could imagine that the dlcs can be linked to special periods of the Star Trek universe.
The map is also huge so there's plenty of room for many other races and stories already in that first scenario (Borg, Dominion etc.)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 08:11:02 AM by Anguille »

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 02:30:31 PM
Any thoughts?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 02:37:50 PM
Any thoughts?

Wow! That does look like a reskinned Stellaris. I wonder if they took over the Star Trek Mod for Stellaris and ran with it to make a new game....

Gotta admit I'm more interested now.  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners