Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Interstellar Space Genesis  (Read 27438 times)

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2020, 05:22:13 PM
More news & info... 

The release date for the Natural Law expansion and 1.2 update is this Wednesday, Nov. 18.  Details are here

Next, the latest dev diary details the Cerixx, one of the new races introduced in the expansion.  These guys actually sound a little scary. 

I'll be honest:  Much as I'm looking forward to trying out the Cerixx and Palacean, I'm especially excited for the changes & improvements in the accompanying 1.2 update.  Just from playing around with the beta patch, there's a lot to like!
Didn't think it would come out so soon. It will a welcome distraction to my current situation...

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #46 on: December 22, 2020, 04:43:44 PM
Update 1.2.3 has just dropped!  Looks like they finally heeded players' pleas to spiff up the galaxy map a bit, along with adding a bunch of much-appreciated QoL improvements. 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/984680/view/2924490582250334898

Spoiler: ShowHide

Update 1.2.3 improves the galaxy map graphics and more

Hello everyone!

We're happy to bring you another Interstellar Space: Genesis update! This is mainly a graphics and polish update with major improvements done to the galaxy map graphics as for other QoL improvements and a few bug fixes.

Compatibility: Saves from 1.2.2 should be compatible with this new version, but it's advisable to start new games to benefit from the new improvements fully and to avoid any unexpected issues. If for any reason you wish to continue with the previous version, please use the Steam betas feature ("old_version" branch) to go back to that version.

Thanks to all who have bought the game so far and for everyone who provided feedback. You're awesome!

As you know, we're doing all we can to keep improving the game and to win your support. If you have a few minutes to spare, and have been enjoying what we do, please leave us a review on Steam! ❤️

Version 1.2.3

NEW

Dark nebula has new graphics. These nebulae are now darker and have a slight glow effect around them making them easier to spot and more pleasing to look at.

New 'Colonizers' special ability available when creating custom races. Races with this ability start the game with 2 colony ships instead of 1.

Many new hints added. Hints are displayed at game start and when loading a game. Also, several revisions made to the existing hints.

Now possible to change the color of all empires during a game session. Particularly useful to help with color-blindness but also interesting to change colors if they are too close other empires' colors or just for fun. Colors can be changed in the Empire Overview panel for the human player and in the AI Empire Status screen for the AI empires (info icon in the diplomacy status screen).

Now possible to (de-)select the races shown in the graphs in the empire overview panel. So, you can compare empires more directly now.

GAMEPLAY

When a leader levels up, and two skill options are provided, if one option is a spy skill, the other one now is not.

SOUND & MUSIC

Ruins search sounds toned down (were too loud before).
    Sound effects added to the tech type selection dropdown in the research screen (when selecting all 'Achievements', 'Wonders' etc).
    The reset tech queue option in the research screen also has a sound effect now.

UI / GRAPHICS

Galaxy map UI improved across the board. Examples: empire info panel in the top left (e.g. more space between the information and easier to read, new buttons for increasing/decreasing taxes, research and culture); game systems' menu in the top right improvements, map layers in the bottom left; turn button on the bottom right. All those panels now look a bit cleaner and crisper.
    System labels revamped. The labels' background now have a gradient color effect, a new border which makes them easier to see and distinguish from outposts, the text in the label is not uppercase now and font improvements make labels more crisp and easier to read.
    The galaxy map background nebula graphics were improved to add more color and presence, with more background stars now and more of them twinkling. As a result, we think the galaxy map is now more pleasing to look at and provides a better sense of being in space without being distracting.
    The Planetary and Supernova Remnant nebulae now have an animation effect that provides a bit more of life and also a bit more of color to them.
    Stars of the same color now have slightly different sizes. This helps in giving the galaxy an additional sense of depth.
    Icon improvements for the fire arc, extra maneuverability, shield facings, and most of the weapon modifications in the ship design screen. They are cleaner and crisper now.
    Added function-key shortcuts to open all the various options in the upper, right-hand panel (e.g. Remote Exploration, Research, Leaders, etc). Function keys F1 to F8 available to open all the options. When one of the screens is open, pressing the key again will close that screen.
    Next item in the production queue is now displayed in the 'construction just finished' notifications. Now it shows the project or ship just constructed and the next one, if any is in the queue.
    Fleet icon is now slightly bigger both when stationed (a shield) and when the fleet is traveling (little ship icon). The stationed shield icon was improved to make it easier to spot and also more appealing.
    The ruins searching process can now be skipped to accelerate the search text being displayed, if desired.
    When Trade Goods are on a colony production queue and a new project is added to the queue, this construction project is added before the trade goods and not after, as was previously the case.
    The stationed fleet icon now blinks when the game starts. This is particularly helpful for new players, so they can identify their initial fleet more easily.
    Zoom scrolling is now a bit faster.
    The initiative tooltip in the combat encounter screen now clarifies that a space monster always has the initiative (always attacks first).
    The close button in the system view and leader desires screen now displays the correct "close button" graphic (was displaying an older style UI button). This makes it particularly helpful in the system view as it's more clear when the player wishes to decline an attack when combat is possible in the system view.
    Improved the research choice buttons' looks (in the research decision screens - e.g. Helium-3 tech choice). They now have better contrast when hovering and clicking on the buttons (previously, it could be hard to tell they were buttons that needed to be clicked).
    Subsurface Vault's description revised to clarify that it doesn't offer an ideal environment to the extra population it can hold in the planet but only enough new space to hold more people.
    The 'Deep Cover' spy skill description now clarifies that on top of revealing information on a rival's outposts and colonies, it also reveals all the rival empire's explored systems.
    Improved the toggle checkboxes in the race customization and new game screen, which makes it easier to grasp if an option is or not selected.
    Fleet panel close button now slightly bigger.
    Planetary Prospectors' culture perk description now clarifies that a settlement is either a colony or an outpost.
    The race rulers are now fully displayed in ultra-wide resolutions to take advantage of the extra space available on these wider resolutions.

BUG FIXES

Fixed an issue that was causing the ship model to reset the animation and zoom level in the ship design every time the fire arc option was changed.
    Fixed an issue that was not allowing orbital stations and space mirror arrays to be seen in the colony view of Lava and Barren worlds (now they can always be seen in these worlds).
    Fixed an issue in the remote exploration screen where the 'Brown dwarfs' and 'White Dwarfs' graphics were missing when inspecting the panel of what could be revealed in a specific sector.
    Fixed a glitch that was allowing getting back to the main menu after starting a game, resulting in a corrupted UI state.
    Fixed a glitch in the colony screen on the triangle allocation icons (infrastructure, construction, planetary engineering), the hovering color would persist if the colony screen was closed when hovering those icons.
    Fixed an issue where the effect that greys options in the background was not covering the full screen in ultra-wide resolutions.

In addition, Interstellar Space Genesis is participating in the holiday sale that just launched:  The base game is currently available for $14.99 USD, and the bundle package (which includes the recent Natural Law expansion) is currently $22.48 USD. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984680/Interstellar_Space_Genesis/

Oh, and just to give an idea of what the "new" map looks like (shamelessly stealing it from Steam's store page): 

8)

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 04:19:21 AM
Nice!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #48 on: December 24, 2020, 12:56:26 PM
I had to laugh when I saw this... 

In my current game (as the Palacean Assembly), I am literally at the ass-end of nowhere.  How appropriate.  ;D 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 03:53:32 AM
Ah....you're really on the outer rim! I like that kind of starting position. Let's you grow in peace for a while.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 06:13:33 PM
For those who prefer to avoid Steam, ISG and its expansion, Natural Law, are now both available for purchase on GOG.  The base game is 50% off in celebration of its launch on the platform! 

Interstellar Space: Genesis

Natural Law

judgedredd

Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 02:42:12 AM
That just looks like Stellaris or Sins of a Solar Empire to me

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 04:01:48 PM

I'd say that's a fairly common observation.  But then, I think you could argue that most space 4x games look rather similar, to a greater or lesser degree. 

I find that what sets ISG apart is that it deliberately follows the "traditional" MOO2-style 4x design philosophy, whilst seeking to avoid some of the genre's biggest pitfalls (such as excessive colony micromanagement).  It also adds some unique features (such as the remote exploration mechanic, and Leaders with their own desires) that keep things interesting throughout the game. 

It's not perfect, by any stretch, but at least the developers are actually trying something a bit different, and genuinely listen (and respond) to player feedback.  That goes a long way with me. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:57:10 PM by Martok »

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 02:38:29 AM

The two games you mention happen in real-time. Interstellar is turn-based and this is big difference. I also never managed to finish a game of Stellaris while i have completed many games of Interstellar. As Martok said, it's a good game, not perfect but they keep working on it.

I think i'll also get the GOG edition.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:51:30 AM by Anguille »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 03:07:56 PM
I have to admit that with the advent of games like Distant Worlds and Stellaris, whether or not a 4x game is turn-based vs. real-time has begun to matter somewhat less to me the last several years.  I still have a preference for turn-based games overall, but the gap between the two types has narrowed (in my eyes). 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #55 on: January 14, 2021, 03:44:05 AM
I have to admit that with the advent of games like Distant Worlds and Stellaris, whether or not a 4x game is turn-based vs. real-time has begun to matter somewhat less to me the last several years.  I still have a preference for turn-based games overall, but the gap between the two types has narrowed (in my eyes).
Both games have made it easier. Stellaris can be very very slow and Distant Worlds has a lot of automation options (almost too many).

judgedredd

Reply #56 on: January 14, 2021, 06:51:30 AM
I just watched a video of it - honestly, the factions shown on the video seem to be very, very familiar to me...like from one of the games I mentioned. I could be wrong

Even the ship landing on the planet

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #57 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:00 PM
I just watched a video of it - honestly, the factions shown on the video seem to be very, very familiar to me...like from one of the games I mentioned. I could be wrong

Even the ship landing on the planet
It's clearly inspired by MOO2.

There isn't any ship landing in Stellaris nor Sins of a Solar Empire. There are many games who do have it (Horizon, Master of Orion 1-2 and 4, Endless Space 2). Frankly, if you're not a space 4x addict like me or Martok, i would say that any of these games would do and be enough for a casual player. There aren't really any reasons to have more than one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:26:09 PM by Anguille »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #58 on: January 14, 2021, 06:31:56 PM
Frankly, if you're not a space 4x addict

Nonsense.  We can quit anytime we want!  :biggrin: 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #59 on: March 25, 2021, 03:37:12 PM
Sounds like the next major update is coming this summer, with the next DLC due out later this year. 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/984680/view/3004437795933393172

The main game is also currently on sale for 50% off (all available storefronts), with the Natural Law expansion being 20% off.  8) 

https://www.interstellarspacegame.com/buy-now/