Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Happy (Un)Boxing Day!  (Read 3985 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: December 26, 2018, 09:23:35 AM
So it's Boxing Day for our English cousins

But if anyone picked up any games yesterday, then it's UN-Boxing day (see what I did there?)

Sooooooo.... what'd you get?  Post pics here  :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 01:50:03 PM
I guess I could unbox some of the games sitting on my table.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:10:13 PM
Boxing Day always makes me think of Athens, Greece in 1944.
The germans were pulling out and the primary resistance groups were getting ready to have a civil war.
Churchill flew to Athens, to try and settle the differences.  The communists figured that the british troops would be bombed out of their minds on Boxing Day and planned to attack their barracks.  And possibly kill or capture Churchill.
The british commander, General Scobie, got wind of their plans and kept the troops in barracks and sober.
There was quite a major battle on the road to Pireaus.  The communists had no real heavy weapons, or air, and were stonked badly.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:18:02 PM
Surprisingly, nothing seems to be handy on the fighting on the Pireaus road.
Got the story from a Greek officer, who was obviously a rightist, and a british naval officer, at a reception in Athens in 1972.
It's a very complicated situation which led to a bloody civil war.  The nearest I can find is very political, with no real information on the fighting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekemvriana

The Greek indicated that what ended the Civil War was the split between Stalin and marshal Tito of Yugoslavia.  Prior to that the communists had a base with protection inside Yugoslavian territory.
When Tito split, the Greek communists lost all support.  They were soon reduced to bank robbery to support themselves, and this clear descent to criminal gangs, lost them the support of the Greek populace.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.