Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Tactical board gaming funk  (Read 9748 times)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
on: June 09, 2023, 02:39:30 PM
I seem to be in a bit of a board gaming funk.

I'm currently playing Old School Tactical Western Front...and whilst I like it's simplicity, I'm just feeling empty when I get to the end of a scenario.

More than that...I'm constantly tempted to end the scenario early and start a new one. Kind of looking for fulfillment.

There's not a lot to dislike with OST...Nice simple rule set, decent tactical options, decent scenarios.

It's not only OST though. Before starting OST, I had read the rules to Band of Brothers...then dropped that and took the rule book for LnL Tactical on holiday with me...learned that and played a couple of scenarios and dumped that.

I think I finally worked out what it is though...missions with a finite turn set and some meaningless victory hexes to grab just sent making me happy.

I think the problem is I want a campaign with these games. I don't want unlinked, meanings missions. I want something with a bit of meat to it.

And this might be exclusively for tactical games because I didn't feel like this with Holland '44 or Enemy Action Ardennes.

I liked the campaign I played in Fields of Fire.

Anyone else suffer from feeling like the victory in a tactical mission with no follow on missions leaves you feeling wanting?

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 02:43:20 PM
Hopefully Assault '43 Sicily will be with us before too long :-)

The main 'Gela' campaign is amazing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 02:48:59 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 03:08:13 PM
I may have put this in the wrong forum...as I was talking about OSt, I shoved it here.

Yeah - I had fogotten Assault Red Horizon has a campaign and never fired it up.

I think maybe I should put a bookmark in the scenario book where I got to and crack on with something else. I need a bookmark so I remember what scenarios I did - otherwise I just start at the beginning again!

I've been reading the rules for The Russian Campaign...I think I'll stick that on the table. I don't seem to have the same issue with more strategic games for some reason.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 03:08:33 PM
Combat! vol. 1 and Combat! vol. 2 are supposed to give you that need to continue feeling. Still saving my pennies for vol. 2 but everything I read about it says it's just what yer looking for. There's a guy on BGG that's running a campaign with vids and commentary and it sounds like a blast.

Here's the Youtube playlist:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 03:08:57 PM
Oh and welcome back JD!  :bigthumb:

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 03:25:02 PM
I've been suffering from a general overall gaming funk for the past 2 weeks now.  I play a game trying to get into it and put it down fairly quickly, having gotten bored sooner rather than later.

I can't explain it but yes, winning a tactical battle but not being able to advance in some way or show some sort of reward that can be used for the 'next step' leaves me feeling hollow.  I think all these years of gaming with war or warlike strategy games (cardboard and digital) have instilled such an expectation in my mind that trying to play a stand-alone scenario in a board game makes for an empty feeling, win or lose.

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 03:27:40 PM
Oh and welcome back JD!  :bigthumb:
Thanks  :notworthy:

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 03:30:02 PM
Combat! vol. 1 and Combat! vol. 2 are supposed to give you that need to continue feeling. Still saving my pennies for vol. 2 but everything I read about it says it's just what yer looking for. There's a guy on BGG that's running a campaign with vids and commentary and it sounds like a blast.

Here's the Youtube playlist:

Good try...had it. But of course I'll watch them!

I mean I didn't hate it - but I got bored making excuses for the German AI. Maybe I was too harsh. Maybe my excuses were viable.

The second one has a campaign iirc - but it also has vehicles which, honestly, I wasn't interested in.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 03:32:01 PM
Norm Smith has produced a very good (and free) campaign system which can be used for all the OST games.

The dynamic campaign included with 'Assault '41 Red Horizon' is also very good and has and almost unlimited amount of replayability built into the system.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 03:35:20 PM
I mean I didn't hate it - but I got bored making excuses for the German AI. Maybe I was too harsh. Maybe my excuses were viable.

The second one has a campaign iirc - but it also has vehicles which, honestly, I wasn't interested in.

Vol. 2 is supposed to add more depth to the AI. You don't have to use the vehicles.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 03:35:59 PM
Norm Smith has produced a very good (and free) campaign system which can be used for all the OST games.

I've used this and it works well.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 03:45:22 PM

Vol. 2 is supposed to add more depth to the AI. You don't have to use the vehicles.
???

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 03:46:07 PM

I've used this and it works well.
Yeah you mentioned that before I think...maybe it's time for me to take a look.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 11:06:46 PM
JD!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 02:19:50 AM
Stagger!  :rockon: