Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Generic vs Franchise Based RPGs  (Read 6776 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:51:53 AM

Goodman Games (Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics) has some funky dice.  But every one of those die can be simulated with a regular set of RPG die.  For example, the D30 you can role a D4 with 1 = 1-10; 2 = 11-20 and 3 = 21-30.  Then roll a regular d10. 

The game companies make the funky die because they can be copyrighted/trademarked for a long time.  It is harder to "steal" a physical object compared to a pdf of game rules.

I have a couple of sets of zocchi dice for DCC. They are just fun. I GM’d DCC at the FLGS a few years back for international role play day and the new DCC player were fascinated by the dice.

My hypothesis is while odd configurations, the dice are similar to a regular set of polyhedral dice most RPGers own so are easy to understand. The symbol dice from FFG need to be explained every dice role in for a session or two. I hadn’t thought of the copyright. That really makes a lot of sense.