Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: 1807 KS -- REBOOT  (Read 19734 times)

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 09:06:13 AM
The VdA KSs are very different from one run live.  They’ve a more generous pacing better suited to e-mail.  A couple of players are active military or military adjacent and I don’t know what the view of Discord is there either.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 12:06:18 PM
Oh sure, as I said, at the IKS we use Discord very effectively for huge, long running play-by-post games, D-Day with 96 players for example.

Hm, the military context might be something. Although, we also have a number of those folks on the server, and they have run and played games with us. So maybe not as much of an issue as one might think.

It's just that I think it offers so many features and options that make it so much more convient to use for these kind of games than e-mail, and that I don't believe in "that's how we've always done it" to be a valid argument for anything, really.  ;D But enough preaching for now.

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 12:48:15 PM
And, just so it's clear, it's not that at all.  I'm there if folks wanted to be.

For reasons -- whatever they might be -- players said they didn't want it...those that spoke...

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 05:29:39 PM
The VdA KSs are very different from one run live.  They’ve a more generous pacing better suited to e-mail.  A couple of players are active military or military adjacent and I don’t know what the view of Discord is there either.

What is the issue with military using Discord? I am active duty and use it all the time.

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 05:37:10 PM

What is the issue with military using Discord? I am active duty and use it all the time.

Huh...I'll ask.  Don't rightfully know.  It wasn't the biggest issue, but it seemed very much to be there.

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2022, 08:07:09 AM
BTW Adam Sandler movies were never funny. Just sayin. ;)

You're not wrong. But I also didn't want to put the effort into editing the image I found in a minute of Googling.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2022, 10:01:46 AM
BTW Adam Sandler movies were never funny. Just sayin. ;)

You're not wrong. But I also didn't want to put the effort into editing the image I found in a minute of Googling.

;D :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BSA

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 12:40:54 PM
I'd like to be added to any available reserve/replacement roster if needed.

Cheers,

Bryan

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 03:17:29 PM
Done and dusted!

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #24 on: August 28, 2022, 06:01:13 PM
I have no idea what any of this is, where it was advertised, explained,  or anything, other than it has something to do with Kriegspiel. If willing to explain what is going on, and how to play,  I would be more than happy to be a reserve.  If not for seeing a tweet I would still be in ignorant bliss.

BSA

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #25 on: August 28, 2022, 11:52:40 PM
I have no idea what any of this is, where it was advertised, explained,  or anything, other than it has something to do with Kriegspiel. If willing to explain what is going on, and how to play,  I would be more than happy to be a reserve.  If not for seeing a tweet I would still be in ignorant bliss.

Here's a good AAR of Vol de L'Aigle, the system used, that should give you an idea of the thing, pace of play, etc:

https://theboardgaminglife.com/2014/07/20/le-vol-de-laigle-a-board-gaming-life-after-action-report/

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #26 on: August 29, 2022, 07:16:31 AM
Thank You

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #27 on: August 29, 2022, 12:13:11 PM

So a good place to start would be to find a copy of the game, to learn the rule-set I take it ?  ...... Hope their is another option since the game is currently going for $319.99 on ebay

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #28 on: August 29, 2022, 12:16:00 PM

So a good place to start would be to find a copy of the game, to learn the rule-set I take it ?  ...... Hope their is another option since the game is currently going for $319.99 on ebay

nah, Jim ends up making all the rules applications.  You'll describe what your units are doing and how, and he handles the adjudication behind the curtain and gives you the outcome.  All the rules and the "gods-eye-view" maps are dealt with at his level

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #29 on: August 29, 2022, 12:24:00 PM

nah, Jim ends up making all the rules applications.  You'll describe what your units are doing and how, and he handles the adjudication behind the curtain and gives you the outcome.  All the rules and the "gods-eye-view" maps are dealt with at his level

What the man said.