Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: I've moved on...  (Read 3804 times)

judgedredd

on: October 03, 2019, 11:28:26 AM
...got myself an Oculus Rift S.

A guy at work bought an older, second hand Oculus for £200 and was raving about it and specifically mentioned a game I have - Project Cars. That piqued my interest because I do love Project Cars.

So I went looking around and the older, second hand models were running for about £250. I asked Jarhead what it was like with DCS because he has a Rift S (the newest version) and he said he can't go back to TrackIR...that was me sold. Project Cars and DCS was enough for me to justify the £400 for the Rift S.

There were some setup woes (JH tried helping for hours) though they weren't to do with the Rift - it was a graphics driver corruption. Uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers and I was ready to go.

I jumped in the F/A-18 this morning and OH MY GOD...you would not believe the immersion factor. Whilst looking at my monitors and around my "flat" cockpit on my screen using TrackIR - I was actually in the cockpit of an F/A-18 locking directly down at the controls. One other thing - the speed sensation of actually being in the cockpit as opposed to the sensation TrackIR gives (which honestly is close to zero because you have the stationary room about you) is so fantastically awesome.

I haven't went into the settings or anything so I've got all that to do. But there's really no going back. If I never find another VR game, I'll still be a happy bunny!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:39:36 AM
So... do you still use yer regular joystick to fly or are you using the hand thingys that come with the Rift? Do you nee to use the keyboard and if so how?

$550 CAD is steep but Christmas is coming...  :D

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 12:05:46 PM
$550 CAD is steep

you spend more than that on shipping each year just to get your games mailed to you :whistle:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 12:09:15 PM
$550 CAD is steep

you spend more than that on shipping each year just to get your games mailed to you :whistle:

>:(

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:09:06 PM
So... do you still use yer regular joystick to fly or are you using the hand thingys that come with the Rift? Do you nee to use the keyboard and if so how?

$550 CAD is steep but Christmas is coming...  :D
I'm still working it out. JH says he uses the mouse and has his key controls mapped to buttons on his HOTAS. I have the same controller - so I should be able to do the same.

This morning I literally just jumped in and used the controllers for throttle, flight stick and button presses. All very awesome.

Like I said - it's not got the crispness or even clarity of the monitor - but personally what I lost in visuals, I gained more times over in realism.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:26:30 PM
Thanks.  :bigthumb:

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 10:49:11 AM
Sounds like fun JD. The only I have that uses VR is Table Top Simulator, so not worth the $400 price tag.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 06:12:45 PM
Sounds like fun JD. The only I have that uses VR is Table Top Simulator, so not worth the $400 price tag.

That'd be one savage game of Scythe...I'm telling you.

Or, because I really can't say it enough, "Thurn and Taxis VR" -- you'll never look at delivering the mail the same way again!

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor