Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: RPG Deals!  (Read 112732 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:04 PM
I really should use this discount to pick up some Numenera and The Strange source books. I am still kicking myself in the butt for missing the Numenera humble bundle in January. :(

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 08:28:01 AM
I think this is starting 3/13 but not sure how long it's going

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 07:41:39 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 06:38:33 PM
Miniature Market is having a big sale through Monday. Of note, D&D Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage Board Game is only $45 while supplies last!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 03:13:46 PM
Can't decide if this is going to be pretty cool (Ed Greenwood!) or utter trainwreck (psychic powers for everyone?)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whynotgames/rocket-age-rpg-for-5e

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 03:41:36 PM
I've decided what I think but I won't post it because mirth will reply with one of those Mickey pics if I do.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 03:49:21 PM
I've decided what I think but I won't post it because mirth will reply with one of those Mickey pics if I do.  :whistle:

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 08:23:32 AM
Goodman Games is having the best pdf sale on Dungeon Crawl Classics, Xcrawl, and other products that I've seen.  They put a couple of hundred titles on sale for $1 each.

See: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/36/Goodman-Games/subcategory/187_4930/3E-Products

I bought $39 worth of stuff for 36 items - more stuff than I'll probably be able to read in the next couple of years.  I've found that pdfs of adventure modules and game settings works better for me than print.  I'm only getting hard cover rules now (unless it is a freebie for running stuff for Chaosium).

Thanks for the heads up! I bought a couple of modules at $1 each but I also noticed that Dungeon Crawl Classics #51: Castle Whiterock was on sale for $5.00. It is a complete campaign (over 700 pages) that normally sells for $59.99!

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:08 AM
holy crap....  that's a great deal, but I honestly have no idea when/if I'd ever get to it

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 06:40:27 AM
holy crap....  that's a great deal, but I honestly have no idea when/if I'd ever get to it

And when has that stopped you before - at that price point?

For PDFs?  More than you think. 
I'm far more willing to go nuts on a crazy sale for a physical copy of something where I've got a book to flip thru, maps to lay out and ogle, and maybe even push some minis around just to feel like I'm using it.

I've accumulated plenty PDFs that are free, but not a lot that I've spent money on.
But I've spent waaaaaay more on physical copies of things I could've had in PDF for things I knew I wouldn't get around to playing much any time soon.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 07:04:05 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 03:26:12 PM
I bought the hardcover version when I took the plunge into 7th ed CoC.  It's a mixed bag of 5 adventures. One stands out as very good IMO.  2 are decent and 2 are substandard.  I wouldn't pay full price for it but the sale price is worth it if you are looking for some shorter adventures that you can run as one-offs.   

The first scenario, Darkness Beneath the Hill is easily the weakest of the lot.  I suspect it was written with the mindset that it would serve as a sort of bridge to bring D&D players over to Call of Cthulhu.  IMO, it fails.  It's basically an extended dungeon crawl beneath a house.  There is a lot of back story written for the GM's benefit but none of that information is likely to be passed on to the players so they're just going to be slogging through a maze, fighting hordes of monsters and, because it's CoC and not D&D, likely dying like flies or going insane.

The second scenario, Genius Loci takes place in an asylum (cause you can't have an adventure compilation from Chaosium without at least one scenario taking place in a loony bin) and is heavily focused on investigation.  Decent scenario but somewhat problematic in that experienced CoC players will likely guess what they're up against fairly quickly.  New players may well get frustrated by their inability to deal directly with the threat. 

Servants of the Lake is the third scenario.  This one is quite straightforward.  Players need to investigate a missing person and wind up at a secluded, creepy hotel by a lake.  Lots of sneaking around, eavesdropping, and breaking and entering.  Easily can spin out of control with some failed stealth roles which might require some on the fly adjustments by the GM to keep it from going off the rails.  The final encounter will likely be very, very deadly for the players.

Ties That Bind is the other disappointment in the collection.  The "mystery" should take nearly any group all of 5 minutes to figure out.  Then it just becomes a straight up fight.  Might work if you run a Pulp version of the game but even then, it'll be relatively short and linear.

None More Black is the final scenario in the book and, IMO, the best of the lot.  Students at a university are becoming addicted to and sometimes dying from a new drug that's appeared on campus.  Players need to find the source and shut down production.  Lots of different investigative paths to take in this one.  It's still relatively straightforward (as are all the scenarios) but has more depth than the other scenarios.  There's potential for a lot of combat depending on player actions but there are options for the GM to ramp up or down the level of threat in the scenario.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:20 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #43 on: September 24, 2019, 03:48:34 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #44 on: September 24, 2019, 03:56:19 PM
Three new Basic Fantasy role playing are available on Amazon or Lulu for purchase. Two adventure books and an expanded book of equipment. Total cost for all there is $11 or free if you down load from the basic fantasy website. I love this rpg so much. I hope they put together and publish an expanded race and classes book supplement. There are a bunch individually downloadable but a consolidated collection would be awesome.