Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Paths of Glory (GMT)  (Read 3660 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: April 27, 2020, 09:53:25 PM
I made my first quarantine game purchase (no, really)...Paths of Glory by GMT. I was sold after watching Stuka Joe's intriguing solo card play variant video. I don't have any WW1 games anyway and I like the system, so why not give it a try. What else am I going to do...interact with my family?  :D

Anyone else have this one?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:49:54 AM
Yup.  It was one of the first games I bought when I got back into board gaming after a 25 year hiatus.  I like it a lot in spite of the problems (damn you Italy!).

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 05:47:55 AM
No - I have been tempted though when I've passed it on the internet. I often look for a WWI game.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 08:38:30 AM
I've got too many of those 'point-to-point' games as it is. I did just discover that Great War Commander exists and after playing Combat Commander Pacific I really, really want it.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:24:23 AM
I saw Great War Commander too, but that's more like WW1 Squad Leader and therefore does not float my boat nearly as much. It looks good though and is highly rated so what do I know? :)

Like I said, that Stuka Joe video went a long way to making it something I want to try.

He's got an 'updated' version of this method but honestly, I prefer this one.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 01:28:08 PM
There is just something about point-to-point games that is a turn off for me.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 01:43:19 PM
I'm still undecided on how I feel about point-to-point. I think part of it is you feel a bit limited in what you can do on the map.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 01:46:43 PM
I understand your points (pun intended), but honestly, in a grand strategic game where units are large (such as armies in this one, and to a lesser extent, corps), and operate over a large area, the generalization of point-to-point is perfectly fine. To me, anyway.

I don't want all my games to be like that, but I enjoy it as a different approach to wargaming grand campaigns. The only other point-to-point game I have that I can think of offhand is Eastern Front Solitaire by Omega Games.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 01:49:00 PM
I see what you mean, but for me, its the visual aspect that looks 'wrong'. Too many years with hex maps, I suspect. There again, I've played a few area movement games that I liked.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 01:54:42 PM
The only point-to-point games I've played so far are Genesis (by VASSAL multiplayer), and on the PC Panzer Doctrine (now published by Matrix/Slitherine iirc). I was fine either way -- ptp reflects the idea that when you're moving sufficiently large units around relative to the map scale, there are only a limited number of logistic 'paths' you can expect to be able to travel. I'd like to try more of them.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 04:03:37 PM
It’s a fantastic game. Downside is it’s card driven so that may affect the solo gameplay. But where there’s a will and all that

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 04:51:30 PM
It’s a fantastic game. Downside is it’s card driven so that may affect the solo gameplay. But where there’s a will and all that

I've had the will for 40+ years, I ain't stoppin' now!  :D

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 10:47:11 PM
The only point-to-point games I've played so far are Genesis (by VASSAL multiplayer), and on the PC Panzer Doctrine (now published by Matrix/Slitherine iirc). I was fine either way -- ptp reflects the idea that when you're moving sufficiently large units around relative to the map scale, there are only a limited number of logistic 'paths' you can expect to be able to travel. I'd like to try more of them.

That's a good point about PtP generally. I think Ted Raicer's idea was that there wasn't enough maneuver in WWI to merit a different approach. Granted, he's dealing with Army or Corps sized units...but I think there were a division or too.

A great game though. Might be one that i bring in my carryon -- rather than the shipping container -- when i move this summer.

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."