Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 100397 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #210 on: April 19, 2021, 07:01:36 PM
 >:D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #211 on: April 19, 2021, 08:42:40 PM
Which is why he lives in North Dakota. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #212 on: April 20, 2021, 01:13:14 AM
Which is why he lives in North Dakota.

A vile, filthy lie.  (*South* Dakota was bad enough...)  >:( 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #213 on: April 20, 2021, 03:50:31 PM
Hofix patch 3.02 is out. 

#################################################################
######################### VERSION 3.0.2 ###########################

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

* Fixed an issue with the Big Red Button achievement not triggering before the game ended.
* Fixed an issue where players couldn't play as the pre-scripted Human Empires.
* Fixed an issue with Criminal Syndicates branch offices producing super negative trade due to crime, then multiplying it because of crime.

Paradox is also continuing to work on balancing the new economy rework, especially pop growth.  Apparently as the situation currently stands, newly-colonized planets in the late game can see very little growth, due to the empire population cap.  This, in turn, severely limits the usefulness of Habitats, Ringworlds, and Ecumenopoli. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #214 on: April 20, 2021, 04:44:55 PM
I'm good with a series of small focused patches like 3.02. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #215 on: April 20, 2021, 05:12:29 PM
Hofix patch 3.02 is out. 

######################### VERSION 3.0.2 ###########################

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

* Fixed an issue with the Big Red Button achievement not triggering before the game ended.
* Fixed an issue where players couldn't play as the pre-scripted Human Empires.
* Fixed an issue with Criminal Syndicates branch offices producing super negative trade due to crime, then multiplying it because of crime.

Paradox is also continuing to work on balancing the new economy rework, especially pop growth.  Apparently as the situation currently stands, newly-colonized planets in the late game can see very little growth, due to the empire population cap.  This, in turn, severely limits the usefulness of Habitats, Ringworlds, and Ecumenopoli.

Argh! So I didn’t have to buy the Humanoid pack just to get the pre-scripted Earth empires back.  >:(

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #216 on: April 20, 2021, 11:48:25 PM
Argh! So I didn’t have to buy the Humanoid pack just to get the pre-scripted Earth empires back.  >:(

Heh, no I'm afraid not.  But aren't you glad you did anyway?  >:D 

FWIW, though, I honestly like Humanoids.  While all of the species packs are admittedly of variable quality at best, Humanoids remains my favorite by a fair margin, and is the only one that (thus far) I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. 

I genuinely like the extra race portraits and (especially) ship-sets; however, Humanoids' main feature(s) is/are the additional advisor voices.  YMMV obviously, but personally I find they add a good bit of flavor & immersion to my games. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:50:29 PM by Martok »

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #217 on: April 21, 2021, 05:57:33 AM

FWIW, though, I honestly like Humanoids.  While all of the species packs are admittedly of variable quality at best, Humanoids remains my favorite by a fair margin, and is the only one that (thus far) I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. 

I genuinely like the extra race portraits and (especially) ship-sets; however, Humanoids' main feature(s) is/are the additional advisor voices.  YMMV obviously, but personally I find they add a good bit of flavor & immersion to my games.
I am really enjoying the game now. It's good enough now that i've decided that i will get the DLCs i am still missing (like the one you mention). Too bad the AI is really braindead otherwise, this could be a cool game. It does let me turtle my way through my Federation, the Galactic Senate and my empire...not as boring as it used to be. To me it feels feature complete.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:00:14 AM by Anguille »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #218 on: April 21, 2021, 12:15:54 PM

I am really enjoying the game now. It's good enough now that i've decided that i will get the DLCs i am still missing (like the one you mention). Too bad the AI is really braindead otherwise, this could be a cool game. It does let me turtle my way through my Federation, the Galactic Senate and my empire...not as boring as it used to be. To me it feels feature complete.

Fine praise

I haven’t played since before the big planet management change - might be back

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #219 on: April 22, 2021, 04:31:20 PM
Dev Diary #210 discusses some of their immediate plans, now that Nemesis has been out in the wild for a week.  Details below: 

Spoiler: ShowHide

Hello everyone!

We hope that you’ve all had a chance to enjoy the 3.0 ‘Dick’ Update and Nemesis. We’ve had a lot fun making it, and it's been really fun to see your reactions to all the new stuff!

We appreciate all the feedback and bug reports you have submitted, as it really helps us improve the game. 3.0.2 is looking to be quite stable as it currently stands, with better performance and a very low amount of out-of-syncs in multiplayer. There are still bugs and improvements that we want to make and the current plan is to fix bugs and make improvements for a couple of weeks more, until we can release a 3.0.3.

For that patch we’ll be looking at things like:

Some improvements relating to Operations & Espionage
    Tweaking and making improvements related to pop growth
    Various other improvements, balance tweaks and bugs

We also know that pop growth has been a heartfelt issue for some of you, so we wanted to take this opportunity to address some of that feedback. With that I’ll hand the word over to Stephen aka @Eladrin to talk a bit more about pop growth in detail:

The Stellaris 3.0 ‘Dick’ update had a number of changes to economic systems, including major changes to population growth. We wanted to significantly reduce the number of pops in the galaxy and decrease the disparity of number of pops between empires with mass colonization and those with fewer focused planets, allowing smaller empires to keep pace to a degree with more sprawling empires. (The eternal struggle between wide and tall play.)

As part of this, we made some changes to increase economic output of individual pops or other sources through various means - some technologies were buffed, edicts were updated, and new bonuses were added to keep production up. Some secondary resources, such as Research, are intentionally more difficult to rush, since we believe that in 2.8 it was a bit too easy to reach repeatable technologies and technological dominance.

We do recognize that putting limitations on the previously endless growth can feel bad, and that the large number of sudden changes can be shocking. Internally, we’ve been playing with the system for months, and know that while it will take a transition period to get used to some of the changes, we believe that these changes are better for improving the long-term playing experience.

That said, months of internal testing pales in comparison to a week of live play, and the feedback we’ve received from you have been integral for us to continue to improve the playing experience and has led to some adjustments we want to make. Balancing complex systems are an ongoing process so we encourage you to continue feedbacking here on the forums as we move forward.

While we were interested in having more backwater planets in proportion to highly developed planets, we've deemed it too difficult to get to the higher infrastructure tiers. As such, we're planning on reducing the number of pops necessary to upgrade capital buildings to the higher tiers.

The growth on highly developed worlds also felt a little low, so we've increased the floor of how low logistic growth penalties can drop planetary growth, to make sure that these planets still produce a low but noticeable amount of growth. The effect on growth required from the number of pops in the empire was stagnating growth too early, so we're adjusting that value down as well. These should help make late game worlds like a Ring World or Ecumenopolis less difficult to populate, though you may still want to encourage your pops to resettle to them to get them going.

To ensure that other special planets such as the Hive World and Machine World still feel valuable when they come online, we've added assembly jobs to the planets themselves. (The Resource Consolidation origin will begin with a blocker negating this extra job until removed.)

Since colonization is taking longer than desired in the mid to late game, we've added Colony Development Speed bonuses to the civilian infrastructure technologies in addition to their Building Slots.

There's been a lot of positive feedback regarding the new automatic resettlement mechanics, so we're looking at changing the functionality of the Slave Processing Plant to expand automatic resettlement to slaves on the planet at a reduced rate instead of providing production bonuses. So much paperwork.

Constructobots have requested Building Slot parity with Functional Architecture, and we can yielded to their demands. The bio-trophies of the Rogue Servitors have also been shown some educational programs to help them multiply. And as a quality of life request from the Prosperously Unified, we're extending the duration of the homeworld buff to 20 years.

-----

Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of all the changes we’re looking into for 3.0.3, but rather some of the highlights.

That is all for this week folks! We hope you enjoy the game, and continue giving constructive feedback so that it’s easier for us to keep improving the game.

As anticipated, it sounds like pop growth will get further tweaking/re-balancing, and will be a major focus of patch 3.03 (whenever it comes out). 

I have to admit, it feels like Paradox finally has a decent handle on what they're doing since Martin Anward took over Stellaris' development (may he roast in hell).  Contrary to a lot of folks' initial fears (including my own), the release of both 3.0 and Nemesis has been reasonably smooth, stable, and relatively free of major bugs.  Moreover, the economy/pop rework has unquestionably been a noticeable improvement, even if some balancing work remains to be done.  The new intel and first contact mechanics are interesting (though maybe not amazing) as well. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:35:10 PM by Martok »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #220 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:20 PM
Is there a new tutorial encompassing all the new stuff?

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #221 on: April 23, 2021, 02:45:01 AM
Don't think so but it's not too complex. Many times you use envoys to do some tasks (spy network, first contact etc.).

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #222 on: April 23, 2021, 02:55:10 AM

It has been updated to include the new intel system and first contact mechanics, yes. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #223 on: April 23, 2021, 03:11:44 AM

It has been updated to include the new intel system and first contact mechanics, yes.
Ask and Martok will know the answer  :bigthumb:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #224 on: April 23, 2021, 03:40:14 AM
I am the Q of useless information.  ;)