Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: DICE!  (Read 23298 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 10:38:11 AM
A link to an interesting article on d20 randomness: d20 Dice Randomness Test: Chessex vs GameScience

And the mentioned famous Lou Zocchi video:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:27 AM
that's the happiest Lou has ever looked

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 11:12:13 AM
 :ROFL:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2021, 01:34:47 PM
Here's some of my dice 

The fishbowl I keep referring to on the game table

the contents of the fishbowl - a mix of oversized Black Oak dice, cool-looking d6s & d20s, a couple of polyhedral sets, the roman numeral d12s, and more

the advent calendar from Black Oak, with the dice in their sets

the new set of dice I got this summer from Amazon.  Nice dice cup, and comes in reusable box styled to look like mimic/treasure chest

the dice that were in the work bag for years, with a few figs (Brandis & Raf)

The steel die I talked about as the streak-buster

the other pouch I kept in my game bag with some of my rulebooks/character sheets; more figs, fewer dice (I suspect I had more dice that were moved to other places)

the itty-bitty dice, except for the mini polyhedral set that I can't find right now

some crystal-looking d6s that I was using for the Civ Dice game I'd been playtesting off-and-on for a few years now (pawns are for the workers in that game)

The big box of random dice on my RPG shelf, dumped into the dice tray

some of the singles from that box, including some story dice, a d30, some character-custom d6s from Black Oak, and several sizes of d6s

my faction-specific Heroscape dice w/ their color-coded bags.  I have 2 more factions still in their boxes w/ their standard bearers

The Ninja Dice game I talked about on the podcast

The Throwing Stones game, where each die is a different set of skills that you'd mix & match our of your character's 'set' of dice to resolve things

what's not here?
There's at least a dozen or more polyhedral sets in the different starter boxes I have for different D&D games.
The custom dice in games like Runebound and 1754: Conquest and Mage Knight
All the stray d6s that are piled up everywhere, whether from A&A Minis sets, or lost copies of Risk & Yatzee
I had a whole bunch (like, 40 or 50) of black d6s with skulls on the 6, that I got from a friend who was unloading a lot his dice, literally by the bag, to friends when he was moving back to the US from Europe in the 80s
I have a half dozen of the gold-colored carved-skull d6s from the Pirateology folks
There's a bunch of d6s and d10s in different boxes with playtest components in them (like the Warfighter box and the Orange Crush box)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:32:07 PM by bayonetbrant »

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2021, 06:12:41 PM
A link to an interesting article on d20 randomness: d20 Dice Randomness Test: Chessex vs GameScience

And the mentioned famous Lou Zocchi video:

Cheery dude.

But...

There are tests for random number generators which are easy to apply to dice (modulo the whole rolling 10,000 times thing).  (Most of that PDF file seems to be a direct paraphrase of Don Knuth's sections from Seminumerical Algorithms. It's not up to date, but it's as good a source as I'm likely to get.)

Since I got my new, spiffy dice tower, I got curious and am going through Knuth's tests for some dice I found lying around. I'll post some results when I get off my buttocks (or rather, get onto them) and and produce some. And I've ordered some Gamescience dice to test, too.

Here's some old AD&D dice:

No idea where these came from:

All of 'em that were in my dice bag when I found it in storage. There ought to be more; for one thing I thought I had a d100 golf ball.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #35 on: February 12, 2021, 08:42:24 PM
Thats a few dice you have there.  :D My dice collection is a bit small to be worth posting but then again y'all have several decades of collecting on me.  :whistle:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 09:18:27 PM
Nonsense! Post those pics!  :D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 10:06:25 PM
Best I can do is this:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 10:15:54 PM
As god as my witness, I think those are pretty cool dice.  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #39 on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:35 PM
Car Talk!  :D

I lost most of my polyhedral dice over the years, but I started gathering them again, outside of the games I've gotten. I added a bunch of Bolt Action/Battlefront Minis type dice with American, British, German, Soviet, and Japanese iconography on them for WW2 games requiring d6s. Thinking of getting the French set too, but don't have many games (if any, none I can think of) with Frenchies in them. Might get the Afrika Korps d6 set. Really would like an Italian set but haven't really looked too far for those yet.

I did pick up a set of polyhedral dice at Christmas - metal ones. They're verra nice but I don't do RPGs any more so...it's just nice to have a full set of those in case I don't have any handy.

A shame I lost my original D&D polyhedral dice set - red ones, which came with a yellow crayon, so I could fill in the number engravings on the dice myself. I got that set in middle school and used it so much, the d20's edges were smoothed to the point it pretty much just rolled like a ball on a table.  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #40 on: February 12, 2021, 10:45:09 PM
As god as my witness, I think those are pretty cool dice.  8)

LOL

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #41 on: February 13, 2021, 03:08:21 PM
Nonsense! Post those pics!  :D

My collection so far.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #42 on: February 13, 2021, 03:16:42 PM
My collection is neither as large as some nor as neatly kept as most of yous.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 03:17:01 PM
gotta start somewhere!

that's not a bad batch o' dice to get underway

also, keep in mind that some of us are total pack rats about certain things, too.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #44 on: February 13, 2021, 08:40:21 PM
Does anyone else prefer small dice? I've got some 5mm d6 from various games and they're my favorites.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd