Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stardrive 2  (Read 9768 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 07:53:02 PM
Glad you and your family are hanging in there, man.  That definitely counts for a lot right now. 

It's maybe not the game either of us would prefer to play MP, but we could maybe try running an Armada 2526 PBEM campaign if you want.  (I believe you own that one, yes?)  It's been forever since I played Armada (even singleplayer)l, but I'd be down. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 01:46:12 AM
I do have Armada, but haven’t played that in ages.
We’ve done a PBEM of it before, but I recall we ran into savegame corruption twice.

I am not sure that ever got fixed?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 08:42:29 AM
Shoot, I'd forgotten about that.  Yeah, I don't believe it was ever fixed, unfortunately.  :-\  Bummer! 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 04:47:12 PM
The next patch has dropped.  Technology costs are now higher (for better pacing), and the AI now bases its ship designs on the huge community mod that was made a few years back.  Nice to see Dan incorporating and acknowledging the work done by the player-base. 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/252450/announcements/detail/3059602640249646056

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #34 on: February 06, 2021, 04:50:26 PM
Do these patches break saves? I would hope not with the frequency they are dropping.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #35 on: February 06, 2021, 09:57:59 PM
I've had no problems with that so far, no. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #36 on: February 07, 2021, 08:14:25 PM
He just released a another small update.  This one includes some AI improvements and a couple bug fixes. 

1.5e AI Update / Hotfix
Fixed a few subtle things that will make the AI much meaner

Hi folks -- I caught a few AI bugs that will make the AI a whole lot meaner. I think that this mod will now successfully bring the AI Community ship pack into full action.

I snuck a few other bug fixes in there. Not implementing the version number, just slipping it on top of 1.5e.

1.5e AI Hotfix / Update

Updated the AI to always build the best frigates and corvettes available to it. It was randomly choosing from the available roster earlier
    Fixed an issue where the AI was not accessing its full ship roster. This was a big problem--they will build very dangerous ships now. Watch out!
    Fixed an issue where ships might not be rendering on the strategy map
    Toned down a few visual hotspots in the nebula background on the strategy map
    Upgraded the AI to be smarter about resource allocation on core worlds when there is nothing important to build. They will now reallocate to research or money depending on their needs.
    Fixed an issue where the AI could end up building way too many spies. Hopefully this chills them out a bit in the late game

On top of that, Dan dropped a comment that appears to outline more clearly his future plans for the game, including the remaster and a possible Stardrive 3: 

I'm not going to make a StarDrive 3 in the foreseeable future. I have tons of plans for StarDrive 2 though, including a super fun DLC that I'm going to aim at developing alongside the Remaster. My plan is to turn the Remaster into the next-gen StarDrive platform that I will build on ala Stellaris.

Although only time will tell, I think this is the right call on his part. 

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 07:04:04 AM
Interesting discussion on Steam going on about this Remaster.
Paid or free? Bandaid until SD3. Now no SD3.

I think the devs is poking around to see what will fly with the community.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #38 on: February 08, 2021, 09:28:37 AM
I think the devs is poking around to see what will fly with the community.

That is 100% what he's doing. 

It's a textbook example of why I (and many others) remain wary, despite him doing and saying the right things so far.  We may forgive...but we won't forget. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 09:50:24 AM
The part that makes me nervous is the DLC talk. I hope this isn't just a run up to another cash grab.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #40 on: February 08, 2021, 12:01:02 PM
The part that makes me nervous is the DLC talk. I hope this isn't just a run up to another cash grab.

A fair point; only time will tell. 

Probably the single biggest indicator of his intent will be how things go with the Remaster:  *If* the remastered version of SD2 is decent, and *if* current owners of the game get it for free as promised, and *if* he continues to patch the game as he's been doing so far, then I think it's a good sign for Stardrive 2's future direction, including whatever DLC he's planning to make. 

But yes, that's a lot of "if's". 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 07:37:25 AM
For anyone who wants to put in their two cents, Dan is discussing ideas on how to rework the spy/intel system for the Remaster: 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/252450/discussions/0/3103512736625770290/

I have admit, I pretty much concur with his overall thoughts on the matter.  I'm the type that appreciates games that has intel/espoionage, but don't want to actively mess with it a lot. 

It's perhaps also worth nothing that Dan reiterates that "everyone" is getting the Remaster for free, which is good to hear/see. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 07:51:07 AM
I've never been a huge fan of espionage in a 4x game. It always seems to be mindless micromanagement that mostly benefits the AI.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 08:05:38 AM
I'm fairly ambivalent either way.  I don't need espionage in my games, but I don't mind it either.  I just don't want it taking up a lot of my time and/or attention. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #44 on: February 10, 2021, 08:08:32 AM
As with most things, making it optional is the way to go.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy