Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes  (Read 20182 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48:08 AM
I'm pretty much the same, Mike. My most played 4X game is Warlock II, and that is almost exclusively in sandbox using the biggest map and max A! opponents. Still one of my all time favourite games.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 09:50:00 AM
I reinstalled too and tried it for a bit again (it's been a while). I had some bandit camp right outside my starting city that was way too strong for me to deal with. I had to sit there and click TURN many times to generate troops to attack it, get my butt kicked, then rinse and repeat until I could defeat it. I did some 'splorin in the meantime and added a few outposts, but otherwise, I wasn't really drawn in like I am with Warlock I & II. Maybe I need to give it more time?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 04:21:30 PM
I'm 11 hours in now, and definitely prefer sandbox. I'm really enjoying this game  :bigthumb:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 05:54:15 PM
No right answer, I was just curious. I've only ever played sandbox. In fact, if a game offers sandbox I'll always play that instead. I don't think I've ever played through ANY 4x game campaign.

Same here.  I'll check out the occasional "scenario" map in games that include them, but overall it's nearly always sandbox play for me. 

I'm pretty much the same, Mike. My most played 4X game is Warlock II, and that is almost exclusively in sandbox using the biggest map and max A! opponents. Still one of my all time favourite games.

I bounced off of Warlock 2 the first (and thus far, only real) time I tried playing it.  Not sure what it was -- maybe a little too war/combat-focused for my tastes?  I'm not sure. 

Still, i would like to give it another go at some point.  For all the fun that you, MD, and others have had with the game, it obviously has something going for it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 06:25:04 PM
I like Warlock 2, but it is a combat game. I wish it had diplomacy.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #35 on: September 29, 2020, 06:27:34 PM
I reinstalled too and tried it for a bit again (it's been a while). I had some bandit camp right outside my starting city that was way too strong for me to deal with. I had to sit there and click TURN many times to generate troops to attack it, get my butt kicked, then rinse and repeat until I could defeat it. I did some 'splorin in the meantime and added a few outposts, but otherwise, I wasn't really drawn in like I am with Warlock I & II. Maybe I need to give it more time?

Well my first recommendation is to do what I (finally!) did, and turn down the World difficulty a notch or two when starting a new game.  Doing so will weaken the various "monsters" (including bandits) enough that it should be reasonably easy to defeat them, which can make a world of difference in the game's pacing.  It's not an entirely uncommon complaint that the various enemy creatures/armies are too powerful to defeat early on, so there's definitely no shame in toning them down. 

(Also:  I wouldn't be afraid to save-scrum either!  This game is fun, but it's not always forgiving. :P

Something else you may want to try is increasing the Quest Frequency.  At the very least, this will this give your characters (your Sovereign and any Heroes that have joined you) more opportunities to earn XP, Fame, and decent loot.  In addition, I find they add a good bit of immersion & atmosphere to the game's mildly grimdark setting. 

Lastly, if you've not already done so, I'd encourage you to really read the text descriptions of the various characters, monsters, etc. that you come across while playing the game.  It may seem silly/trivial, but you can pick up on a good bit of the game's lore/backstory that way, which I found that -- like the quests -- add a fair bit to the game's atmosphere and sense of immersion.  Obviously YMMV, but personally that was one of the things that really helped draw me into the world. 

I'm 11 hours in now, and definitely prefer sandbox. I'm really enjoying this game  :bigthumb:

Awesome!  Glad you're having fun with it.  :) 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #36 on: September 29, 2020, 07:12:58 PM
Funny you say turn down the difficulty, Martok, because I took that bit of advice to heart from your earlier post for that first game of mine in a while, and it still plopped those guys right next to me.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #37 on: September 29, 2020, 07:30:49 PM
Clearly the game hates you. And only you.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #38 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:50 PM
Funny you say turn down the difficulty, Martok, because I took that bit of advice to heart from your earlier post for that first game of mine in a while, and it still plopped those guys right next to me.

Odd; bandits are normally one of the easier opponents to defeat.  (I actually *like* running into these guys when I'm low-level.)  Even with being right next to your starting city, bandits usually aren't that tough.  (Usually -- there are exceptions.) 

What is/was the Bandits' army composed of, and what difficulty level do you have the World set to (Novice, Beginner, Easy, etc.)?  Just trying to get an idea of your starting situation. 

LOL!  It does make me wonder...  ???  ;D 

More seriously, though, I do come across the occasional Bandit army that's stronger than normal.  They typically show up a little further away from your starting location (thus allowing you to level up first before you have to take them on), but I've had some bad-luck starts like what BC is describing. 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #39 on: September 29, 2020, 10:23:13 PM

No, I just suck at this game.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #40 on: September 30, 2020, 03:12:36 AM
I think we should go with the "unfortunate start" hypothesis.  It *does* happen, after all.  :P 

Dumb question, BC:  Are you generally auto-resolving battles, or fighting them manually? 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #41 on: September 30, 2020, 06:33:17 AM
Just going back to Warlock again, Steam tells me that I have over 600 hours on Warlock I and over 400 on II. My recommendation for Warlock II though is to add all the DLC, which you can often pick up cheap, and then subscribe to the 'Renaissance' mod. This takes the game to a whole new level, especially if, like me, you play it in sandbox mode with the biggest map and lots of rivals,

One of the aspects where this game shines for me is the sheer number of ways you can beef up your units using purchased equipment or earned perks, so that that even the humblest unit can be made into an elite unit with earned experience. The number of perks is amazing and, even after 400+ of play, I still come accross ones that I had not seen before. Definitely one of my all-time favourite games.

The next closest favourite is Age of Wonders III, although I have played I & II a bit, they are not as good as III. Again, in sandbox mode with the largest possible map and lots of rivals will keep you playing for a long time. Unit improvement is nowhere as near as good as Warlock, but you can do a lot with leaders to equip and improve them, and that is a fun part of the game. Unfortunately though, for units, whilst there is a pretty tame system to beef them up, the game really relies on racing to build the highest 'tier' units, and that makes the lower units a bit redundant, other than s garrison troops.

So here is a way that I have found to be the way to win, so you can take it as a spoiler if you wish.

Build flying units as soon as you can and keep churning 'em out as quick as you can from as many cities as you can and as much as your economy will allow. Also, make sure that you get flying mounts for as many leaders as you can - they are common enough. You can even disband most of the other ships and ground units but do keep a few lower tier units as garrisons to prevent wondering bandits or creatures from walking in. Note that flying units are the fastest and can obviously fly over all terrain types.

Concentrate your flying units in a few very large groups and keep the flow of new units moving to them. By now, with a bit of scouting, you should have identified your next victims cities, and maybe even the faction capitol. There are two ways of doing this; one is to concentrate you your forces against 2-3 cities and then declare war, although you will not ne able to attack until the next turn. If you can provoke the faction to declare war against you, so much the better.
Now, hit them hard with as much as you can amass, but be prepared to taker losses, so make sure you have reserves to hand. If you take 2-3 cities in one or two rounds, chances are that the faction will surrender to you. If your target is the enemy capitol city, then the faction will be defeated.

A tip here is not to include any leaders in the first wave attack as they may well be lost, but keep them back and include them is subsequent waves.

This modus operandi has worked for me every time!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #42 on: September 30, 2020, 08:38:52 AM
Good info, Bob!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #43 on: September 30, 2020, 11:32:42 AM
I think we should go with the "unfortunate start" hypothesis.  It *does* happen, after all.  :P 

Dumb question, BC:  Are you generally auto-resolving battles, or fighting them manually?

A bit of both, actually. I figure you get better results when you run the battles yourself, unless you're just light-years more powerful than your opponent.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #44 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:44 PM
Cheers, Bob!  I'll take a look at the Renaissance mod for Warlock 2 (I've heard good things about it in the past), and take another crack at it.  :) 

A bit of both, actually. I figure you get better results when you run the battles yourself, unless you're just light-years more powerful than your opponent.
[/quote]
Entirely correct.  I do both as well, depending on the circumstances. 

Apologies for the 20 questions, by the way.  I was just trying to figure out a way for you to defeat those bandits that started right next to your city, or (failing that) determine if it was that they were simply stronger than normal.  I have a feeling it was the latter, since no matter how much you may claim you suck at the game, even you should have had little trouble beating up a regular group of bandits.  ;) 

(Pro tip:  If you don't like your game start, but want to keep the same settings, just hit Ctrl+N for a new game on a different map!)