Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes  (Read 21052 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #45 on: August 18, 2021, 08:34:30 PM
Well this is a most unexpected (but welcome) surprise:  Another update (2.6) is in the works, and is apparently a step towards bringing the game to a (final?) 3.0 version... 

https://www.stardock.net/article/506475/elemental-fallen-enchantresslegendary-heroes-260-preview

https://twitter.com/draginol/status/1427817326196502530

Highlights for the 2.6 update: 

- AI improvements
- Performance improvements on turn times
- Map sizes have all been increased
- Conclaves, Fortresses, & Towns increase focus on their specialization (research, production, and wealth, respectively)
- New city building: Tower of Knowledge, which provides +1 research per essence

Honestly, I'm just happy to see Brad still working on the game whenever he has time.  At this point, I can't imagine there's much (if any) economic incentive for it, so mad respect to him for continuing to support it after all these years. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:51:04 PM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #46 on: August 18, 2021, 10:53:58 PM
Wow. I have not played this game in many years. I really should give it another go.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 06:03:41 AM
Definitely!  :) 

Although fair warning, there have been some stability issues since the last major update (2.5/2.5.1).  I suspect that's one of the reasons Brad is working on 2.6, which is to address a number of CTD bugs that have popped up for folks in the interregnum.  I've personally been lucky enough to not run into these problems, but a fair few people have. 

EDIT:  I forgot to post Brad's screenshot of the new Tower of Knowledge (right side).  :D 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:51:53 PM by Martok »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #48 on: August 19, 2021, 06:22:46 AM
A few months ago, I was gifted the earlier versions by a friend (thank you, Sam) and played the heck out of it, so a new game will be on my 'want' list for sure.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #49 on: August 19, 2021, 07:53:24 AM
Interesting news! I still hope there are plans for a new game though.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 05:00:43 PM
You're welcome, Bob.  I'm very glad you've enjoyed it.  :) 

As far as a new game goes, I do believe that's Stardock's next major project after GalCiv4.  My impression is that that wasn't originally the case, but a combination of factors led to Brad bumping it up the priority list.  Fingers crossed! 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 07:41:53 PM
Definitely!  :) 

Although fair warning, there have been some stability issues since the last major update (2.5/2.5.1).  I suspect that's one of the reasons Brad is working on 2.6, which is to address a number of CTD bugs that have popped up for folks in the interregnum.  I've personally been lucky enough to not run into these problems, but a fair few people have. 

Sadly I had a bunch of these issues which made the game unplayable so I'm glad to hear they may be getting fixed!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 09:38:29 PM
Yeah, me too.  I've felt bad reading all these reports of people being unable to play the game the last year or two, and I worried that the problem(s) might never be addressed.  Here's hoping you and everyone else will be able to play the game again! 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #53 on: August 23, 2021, 07:44:09 PM
A couple interesting tidbits... 

1.)  An opt-in beta for the 3.0 build (apparently it's now being called that instead of 2.6) is available.  I've already downloaded it, and will be checking it out later this evening. 

2.)  Brad has clarified that while the fantasy 4x game is indeed their next project after GC4 releases next year, it will *not* take place in the Elemental/Fallen Enchantress universe.  Any actual sequel to FE:LH (if it happens) would be years away still: 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228260/discussions/0/4737210531946895522/?ctp=2#c3042731710368504666

While I'll admit to being slightly bummed out about the news, I'm still excited for the fantasy 4x game...especially since it's supposed to be Derek Paxton's baby.  Given what he accomplished with the Fall from Heaven mods and both Fallen Enchantress games, I can't wait to see what he comes up with.  :D 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #54 on: August 23, 2021, 07:47:35 PM
This is most interesting:
3. Unannounced new game

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #55 on: August 24, 2021, 12:09:33 AM
Yeah, I'm curious about that one as well.  I'm pretty sure I could guess the "unannounced sequel", but I've no idea what the new game could be.  ??? 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #56 on: August 24, 2021, 06:48:27 AM
Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #57 on: August 24, 2021, 07:23:12 AM
Played for a couple hours.  I'm still in the early game, so I can't really comment yet on AI or performance improvements. My impressions so far: 

1.)  Holy crap, Brad was not kidding about making the maps bigger.  I'm currently playing on a Huge map (the largest size), which were already enormous to begin with, but now they're absolutely gargantuan.  :o 

2.)  No major stability issues that I've run into so far.  The game did freeze the first time I tried starting it up after downloading the beta update, but otherwise it's been smooth sailing. 

3.)  I like the increased focus cities get when they level up to a Town, Conclave, or Fortress.  It makes them feel a bit more distinct, as well as making the choice of upgrade path more important. 

4.)  The Tower of Knowledge definitely helps speed up research (especially early on), and looks damn cool to boot.  (It's so *tall*...) 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:05:34 PM by Martok »

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #58 on: August 24, 2021, 06:57:12 PM
I...I still have my physical game in it’s box, unwrapped, complete with pewter dragon.

I can’t install it because my pc doesn’t have a physical drive!

I’m guessing I can use the discs’  serial numbers to install through Steam...or through Stardock?

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #59 on: August 24, 2021, 11:14:19 PM
You don't even have a CD/DVD drive??  :o  Dude!  I mean, I realize they're considered a bit passe' these days, but c'mon! 

More seriously, though, I don't think you're losing much by not having played the original Elemental: WOM.  It had some very cool concepts, but sadly, it was a poorly-executed, bug-ridden mess at launch, and (unlike other games) it was never really patched up to a decently playable state.  Just stick with Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes instead (which I *know* you own ;) ).