Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Revival: Recolonization  (Read 7777 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: July 30, 2021, 01:19:18 AM
I keep forgetting to mention this one.  It's another (albeit still rare) 4x set in a post-apocalyptic world, though it appears to be further along in development than ZEPHON (which is probably its closest competition).  The game has a surprisingly colorful, almost cheerful, art style (considering its setting), which I personally don't mind.  Mechanics & features sound interesting enough, at least on paper, with how you manage and interact with the various "tribes" apparently being a major key to victory. 

Access to the alpha is available via the main website, and a demo was released on Steam last month.  I haven't tried it yet myself; feedback so far indicates it's promising, but rather rough.  The game is supposed to release sometime this year, but I have a hard time seeing that happening unless it's in Early-Access.  Still, it looks like it's at least worth keeping an eye on. 

https://www.revival4x.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1306770/Revival_Recolonization/

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:30:03 PM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:28:33 AM
Hmm, very Civ looking. Fingers crossed.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:27:04 AM
Hmmm. Its all looks so...familiar.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 03:12:38 PM
The narrator is precisely the voice in my head, I love it. Thanks for the heads up Martok!

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 03:41:02 PM
You're welcome, Gus!  For all that I'm generally not a big fan of post-apocalyptic settings, I'll admit this one does interest me. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 02:06:22 PM
Same with me!

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 06:49:43 PM
For those not already aware, there's a demo available, but only through December 9.  So if you've been curious to check it out, now's the time! 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1306770?emclan=103582791468766612&emgid=3115924082398613684

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 12:30:38 AM
Played the (new?) demo for a bit this evening.  It's been a pretty solid experience so far. 

I'm not seeing anything wildly innovative yet, but then I believe a lot of the game's more unique mechanics are tied into the tribes/clans (and how you can interact with them), which probably doesn't happen until later when your faction is more built up.  I also wouldn't mind seeing more tool-tips, as some aspects (such as managing cities and armies) could use a bit more explanation, though most things aren't terribly difficult to pick up overall. 

Atmosphere & immersion are decent:  The soundtrack and sound effects feel appropriate, as does the visuals & art style.  i do wonder if the game isn't a little too bright & cheerful for a post-apocalyptic world, but then that can be a nice contrast to the relentless grimdark one encounters in games like Gladius and (by all appearances) ZEPHON. 

In general, I'd say that Revival: Recolonization needs a lot of work -- which makes sense, as the devs make it clear the game is still in alpha -- but I like the direction its development appears to be heading in.  Will definitely continue to keep an eye on this one. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 10:27:46 PM
The Road to Early Access Launch

The game's release into EA has officially been delayed until summer of next year.  I'm not exactly surprised, given what I've seen so far, but it's nice to have the confirmation. 

I also think it's a solid move on the dev's part.  The game seems to be coming along pretty well overall, but if the demo is any indication, then I would concur that it isn't ready for Early-Access just yet.  It really is looking good, and I would genuinely hate to see the game suffer the fate of sp many other PC titles that came out (either into EA or as full releases) too soon. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 03:37:38 PM
The devs have released an updated demo, available to play for the next week: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1306770/Revival_Recolonization/

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 05:43:50 AM
Jeez, why is everyone doing time-limited demos these days? Quite often I'll download them to try at some point, only to eventually realise it's gone again.

It's not the best way to generate sales from me, I'll say that much.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 12:26:53 PM
Good question. I guess I don't understand the gaming business very well but you would think getting your product out in front of folks would be a priority. Why set a time limit on it?

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 04:59:57 AM
Jeez, why is everyone doing time-limited demos these days? Quite often I'll download them to try at some point, only to eventually realise it's gone again.

It's not the best way to generate sales from me, I'll say that much.

In this particular instance, the devs put out this time-limited demo as part of Steam's "Dreamhack Beyond" event, which lasts the course of...well, this week.  And while my memory is admittedly a bit fuzzy on the matter at this point, I seem to recall the earlier time-limited demo was in conjunction with an event as well (I want to say it was maybe some sort of indie games expo?). 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 04:22:11 AM
Still alive & kicking: 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1306770/view/3267947839872572898

No word on a release date yet.  Given what the devs were working on in this update, however, I'm guessing it can't be too much further away.  Q1 2023, perhaps? 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 02:08:15 PM
Game is releasing into Early-Access June 28: 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1306770/announcements/detail/3684550462545662165

On top of that, an updated pre-release demo is now available, with no playtime or content restrictions: 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1306770/announcements/detail/3694687365032726571