Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173580 times)

judgedredd

Reply #855 on: May 08, 2022, 09:27:08 AM
It's turn 9 (the morning of September 20th)

30 Corps have reached Grave.

As soon as they cross at Grave, the 82nd will be in supply and able to get back to attacking and pushing back...though currently they have created the necessary buffer through Nijmegen.

The 1st Airborne have actually crossed the ferry south of Osterbeek. They are taking a chance doing this...the units across are vulnerable. The perimeter at Oosterbeek is collapsing each turn and the Germans are bringing in more artillery.

I mustn't let the Germans cut my supply off. I've got the 101st keeping a buffer along Hell's Highway between Son and Uden.

12 Corps and 8 Corps are protecting the lower left and right flanks.

11 Arm Div has crossed the canal (Zuid-Willems Canal?) in force and heading for their objectives (Overloon and Venray)

The flanks are very thinly defended and I'm aware there are alot of German reinforcements heading in over the next 5 turns (to September 22nd)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #856 on: May 08, 2022, 12:12:55 PM
Nice work, JD!  :rockon:

I have Nemesis on my table currently, though I am awaiting some mini-card sleeves before proceeding. I probably won't have time to play until next weekend, though, if I'm lucky. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #857 on: May 08, 2022, 12:23:47 PM
Thanks.

I think I've played the German's s well as I could've. I tried to break through at the bottom of Hell's Highway - but as the Allies, I knew I had to keep a presence there - so I quickly started to move the German up to between Son and Grave.

I might have been able to better deal with the British - possibly. But again, They had a good perimeter that held - so I'm not sure.

There was one thing that I realised quite a way in I perhaps should've been doing more of - attacking at 2-1 odds. Not great, but can get a decent enough result. Especially trying to move the British out of Arnhem before they reinforced with another battalion. Now they're in there like a tick! Defence value of 20 (10 doubled due to being in a city) - so the Germans could've handled that better.

But I also didn't do that with the Allies - which perhaps allowed Germans to build forces when I could've chipped away.

Overall as a two player game, I think I've played it as fair from both sides as I could've.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #858 on: May 08, 2022, 04:18:15 PM
We ended up playing BIOS: Origins again today.  2 player game this time.  It ended quite differently than our first game.  In this iteration, the Neanderthals developed nuclear weapons and, tired of the constant proselytizing about Hobbit Jesus by the Homo floresienses, turned their wee cities into ash.

The nasty little Hobbitses tried pushing the idea of Abolitionism and Natural Law (in order to remove the political realm from scoring as I was leading in that area) but a few more nuclear fires settled their hash. They did succeed in removing politics from end game scoring but the chaos and dissent they suffered as a result of  repeated nuclear attacks meant that I ended up winning on the industrial track.  My diversity was low but my tech was high enough to secure me the win.  I was one level short of getting long range, nuclear tipped cruise missiles.  Maybe next game.

vyshka

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #859 on: May 09, 2022, 05:54:03 PM
Not really what's on the table, but curious what people are doing for their gaming tables as I'm easing back into wargaming for the 1st time really since the late 80s. Looking at a couple buffet tables 30"x72", and Lowes sells some 30x36 pieces of plexiglass that would fit on those nicely. Only bummer is living in the Phoenix area means no basement so I will most likely be setting up in the garage which could get miserable during the summer.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #860 on: May 09, 2022, 06:17:36 PM
Mine is a 3.5' x5.5' table with a removable top.  The recessed well is 3x5 and has 2.5" depth.  It's lined with a dual sided matt, similar to a mouse pad.  One side is blue, the other is burgundy.  It's got 4 rotatable drink holders but honestly, most people find they get in the way.  I wish I'd mounted them on a rail so they could slide.  It also has some slits cut into the tops of the tablewell edged so that people can put cards in them.  I lined them with felt but obviously not well enough because most of it ended up on the card edges during the first few months of use. 

As for being sweaty in summer.  I'm not 100% but I think it says in the bylaws that, as wargamers, we are required to be clammy or wetter at all times.  Brant can give you the legalese but I think you'll be good....and damp.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:26:00 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

judgedredd

Reply #861 on: May 10, 2022, 02:20:22 AM
I built my own with a sexton to the left for model building which can be use for "spillage"

It can take 35" x 60" (70" at a push)

Oh - and it works as a "work from home" place too
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:23:22 AM by judgedredd »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #862 on: May 10, 2022, 02:51:52 AM
Great set ups

SDR - did you chart the construction of the table over at the place that shall not be mentioned or have I misremembered?

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #863 on: May 10, 2022, 03:13:26 AM
Nope, not me.  Mine was a kit that I modified a bit after the fact.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #864 on: May 10, 2022, 06:30:38 AM
Great set ups

SDR - did you chart the construction of the table over at the place that shall not be mentioned or have I misremembered?

That was Gary Krockover, who goes by GJK

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #865 on: May 10, 2022, 07:37:29 AM
Mind like a steel trap

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #866 on: May 10, 2022, 10:33:20 AM
Just having a go at the smaller scenario's in 'Custoza'.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:06:14 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #867 on: May 11, 2022, 04:08:04 AM
The British have now been kicked out of Arnhem. Plenty of troops left, but the pressure is enormous now

30 Corps are still south of Grave... they need to get up and help the 82nd sort quick or their route through Nijmegen will be cut off

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #868 on: May 11, 2022, 09:27:33 PM
That is a tall order to retake Arnhem.

judgedredd

Reply #869 on: May 12, 2022, 01:55:14 AM
Yeah. I have a sneaking suspicion the gig is up - but I'm determined to play this superb game to the end.