Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173369 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #900 on: September 04, 2022, 09:26:03 PM
Was that the one from Battles Mag?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #901 on: September 04, 2022, 10:24:29 PM
Was that the one from Battles Mag?

Yup thats the one.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #902 on: September 05, 2022, 05:27:49 PM
The dudes (my boys) and I broke out Warhammer 40K for a free for all three-way battle. We each had a squad and a leader for this scrum. The objective, besides destroying each other, was to hold the cylinder thing in the middle of the board.

The Space Marines and Necrons went into an early melee resulting in the Necron Overlord being killed along with 3 Space Marines. The Necron warriors pulled back and took out 4 of my Aeldari guardians before leaving the field. The Space Marine captain charged my lines and took out another 4 of my guardians before being felled by lucky shots from my Farseer and remaining guardians. Old dad's forces held the field this day...if only barely.

I know, I know. My Aeldari have no paint on them. It will be rectified someday!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #903 on: September 05, 2022, 05:42:10 PM
At present, I'm oscillating between 'Assault '41' and 'OST Vol II'.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #904 on: September 07, 2022, 05:15:50 AM
WaW '85

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #905 on: September 10, 2022, 04:59:10 PM
Part 2 of the RPG the boy's made called The Adventures. It is a rules and story on-the-fly game loosely based on D&D, WH40K, a King Arthur movie, and the Magical Treehouse book series...We are in the Desert of Doom looking for the magical, but cursed, Star Crystal which is guarded by the army hordes of a Goblin King and a Zombie King. I play a medic who was allowed to have a medical kit, a bucket, and a knife. The Star Crystal was found in a cave that was guarded by a group of demons, who my wife destroyed with a powerful bow attack. We found the cave when investigating the source of a smoke cloud that was coming from a destroyed car.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #906 on: September 10, 2022, 06:24:57 PM
looks like fun!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #907 on: September 10, 2022, 09:30:49 PM
Part 2 of the RPG the boy's made called The Adventures. It is a rules and story on-the-fly game loosely based on D&D, WH40K, a King Arthur movie, and the Magical Treehouse book series...We are in the Desert of Doom looking for the magical, but cursed, Star Crystal which is guarded by the army hordes of a Goblin King and a Zombie King. I play a medic who was allowed to have a medical kit, a bucket, and a knife. The Star Crystal was found in a cave that was guarded by a group of demons, who my wife destroyed with a powerful bow attack. We found the cave when investigating the source of a smoke cloud that was coming from a destroyed car.

That's awesome! So cool to see the whole family involved. We just started my son with the Magical Treehouse books series so hopefully he is similarly inspired. :)

judgedredd

Reply #908 on: September 23, 2022, 11:39:15 AM
Had this one for ages. Got it to the table at last

judgedredd

Reply #909 on: September 25, 2022, 10:10:33 AM
And did not like it. I just could not get into it

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #910 on: September 25, 2022, 01:08:15 PM
What didn't you like? What keep you out of it?

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #911 on: September 25, 2022, 02:08:04 PM
Not one thing. The rules didn't help me. My initial glance at them looked procedural and easy to follow...but they weren't particularly full. They seemed to be missing some little nuggets.

I didn't like the mechanics either. There was no real choice to make outside of rolling the dive. Your rangers stayed in one column. The number of times I was drawing event chits and event cards just seemed ludicrous.

I'm sure it's a great game for some people but I didn't like it. I spent two weeks reading the rules and then it was on my table for two days and I never got past turn 3...I kept resetting.

I think sometimes I buy games because they have different mechanics...but actually I just like hex games where there's movement involved and you can make decisions that affect you in combat

Also I was a bit pissed at the quality. The time track and VP tracks were on paper...and not even thick paper and everyone I undetected with it, it just pissed me off.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:10:34 PM by judgedredd »

judgedredd

Reply #912 on: September 25, 2022, 02:08:40 PM
So I've stuck this on the table

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #913 on: September 25, 2022, 03:57:10 PM
Well, not every game is for everyone.

I'm interested to hear what you think of Dark Summer, it has me intrigued as D-Day is one of my favourite battles to game.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #914 on: September 25, 2022, 04:00:51 PM
On my table:

Enemy Action: Kharkov, game turn 6

A failed attack by the 40 Army to take Valky leaves me at 16 VP. The KG Popov attacks toward the southwest have run out of steam and some local German counteroffensives look likely to regain ground and end any hopes of my forces breaking out to the Dnepr.
With 17 VP required at this point, I fear a visit from an NKVD general…