Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Holland '44 and the woes of board gaming space  (Read 30149 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #60 on: September 30, 2019, 12:17:15 AM
Mounted maps are on sale.

$17.99

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/282977

judgedredd

Reply #61 on: September 30, 2019, 01:36:08 AM
The 3 units from Guards = 21, plus 1 unit from 101st adds for to make it 25. The other 2 units from 101st will be counted at half strength, adding another 2 each for a total of 29.

Right. Sorry - for some reason I counted the Guards units as the green counters...odd because I know 30 Corps are brown counters and also it's the Guards Armoured Div...and the only units with Armour are the brown counters. Not to mention the green counters have para icons AND the Screaming Eagle of the 101st!

I don't know how I got that wrong - identification I mean - it's going to be a long war.

So 'one' unit outside the formation counts as full and all others halved?
Yep

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #63 on: September 30, 2019, 06:02:16 AM
The 3 units from Guards = 21, plus 1 unit from 101st adds for to make it 25. The other 2 units from 101st will be counted at half strength, adding another 2 each for a total of 29.

Right. Sorry - for some reason I counted the Guards units as the green counters...odd because I know 30 Corps are brown counters and also it's the Guards Armoured Div...and the only units with Armour are the brown counters. Not to mention the green counters have para icons AND the Screaming Eagle of the 101st!

I don't know how I got that wrong - identification I mean - it's going to be a long war.

So 'one' unit outside the formation counts as full and all others halved?
Yep

Ouch! The Guards Armoured Division badge (The Eye of Horus) is also quite distinctive, as are the ones for the Abn Div's.

Report to the the Co Sgt Maj for Division badge recognition training!  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #64 on: September 30, 2019, 07:23:52 AM
I honestly do not know what I was thinking. TBH, I was looking for my magnifying glass, because I couldn't see the images properly - I actually thought the icon on the Guards units was the 82nd Airborne...but that's not the whole case because of what I said - tanks = guards and not airborne - I could make out the Screaming Eagle - I could see the para unit icon on the green counters.

I just got mixed up with my units when I was looking is all.

But I shall report.

HOWEVER - there is no arrow from the counter in D so I wasn't even counting that as it's not clear it's taking part (remember earlier in the rules there's no need for a unit to attack when it's next to an enemy unit)...so just saying  :-[

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #66 on: September 30, 2019, 07:12:00 PM

Mounted maps are on sale.

$17.99

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/282977

The rest of you guys are slacking off- they still have 5 whole sets in stock!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #67 on: September 30, 2019, 07:13:17 PM
I'd grab it but I need to get my regular copy to the table first. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #68 on: September 30, 2019, 07:35:16 PM
I figured it would've cost 30 bucks to get a clear acrylic sheet, to cover the paper map. So in the end I saved money (or I can tell the wife that).

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #69 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:48 PM
you guys peer pressured me into a mounted map

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #70 on: September 30, 2019, 07:45:29 PM
You’ll need to order the inevitable 3” box when it’s released because the mounted map takes up all the space in the box when it’s folded up.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #71 on: September 30, 2019, 07:49:49 PM
You’ll need to order the inevitable 3” box when it’s released because the mounted map takes up all the space in the box when it’s folded up.

I know the drill. I have mounted maps for Empire of the Sun and at least one other game that I can't think of at the moment.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #72 on: September 30, 2019, 08:36:24 PM

I know the drill. I have mounted maps for Empire of the Sun and at least one other game that I can't think of at the moment.

Unconditional Surrender

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #73 on: September 30, 2019, 08:45:51 PM

Unconditional Surrender

I do believe you're correct. :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #74 on: October 01, 2019, 05:55:48 AM
Played the Airborne Landing Phase last night. Managed to keep most bridges intact - including Son

This was quite an interesting read by the way

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1908942/holland-44-opening-para-move