Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 29309 times)

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 04:48:15 AM
No words about Steam or GOG it seems....

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 07:52:05 AM
This one disappeared from my radar. I wonder what kind of state it is in. It's one of those Epic Store only releases so I guess I'll have to wait.  :-\

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 07:54:45 AM
I have it on Epic. I haven’t played it in a long time, mostly because it’s on Epic and I’m almost never on there and the games limited scope of only ancient world left me a bit cold.
I should go back and see what’s become of the game.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 09:35:03 AM
I played it a few times and overall enjoyed the game. Each update broke my old saves though so I put it away until it was finished. There was a lot I enjoyed about Old World so I will take it for a spin again once it's officially done in July.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
The game just doesn't run very well on my gaming computer. It's a good computer but not very new (2015 i think). So i never completed a game either.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 12:36:18 AM

Unfortunately true.  I suspect it will remain an Epic exclusive for a while yet. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #36 on: June 05, 2021, 06:53:34 PM

Unfortunately true.  I suspect it will remain an Epic exclusive for a while yet.

Epic pretty much saved Clever Mojo from going under when their initial publishing partner went bust, so I suspect it's staying on Epic alone.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #37 on: June 05, 2021, 06:54:41 PM
Maybe for a year, at most. It will be on Steam at some point.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #38 on: June 06, 2021, 12:34:13 AM
Yeah, it sounds like they have plans to spread to other platforms eventually. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #39 on: July 01, 2021, 10:41:03 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #40 on: July 01, 2021, 11:18:54 AM
I wonder if a Steam release is coming soon.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #41 on: July 01, 2021, 06:52:32 PM
Explorminate's review of the game is already up.  (A few of the staffers have been playing it for a while now.) 

An impressive-looking review, all the more so for the fact that it was done by someone other than Rob, who's been an admitted fanboy of the game from the beginning.  I can recall only four other games scoring that well in Explorminate's reviews: Stellaris, Endless Legend, Shadow Empire, and Distant Worlds: Universe -- all fairly elite company.  They clearly like Old World a lot. 

I wonder if a Steam release is coming soon.

You and me, both.  The answer we continue to get from the devs is a vague "yes", but there's been absolutely no word on when that might actually happen.  :( 

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #42 on: September 07, 2021, 01:52:10 PM
I went through a slog of a game with Civ VI on 'marathon' settings and definitely hit the 'meh' stage with the game.  I decided I wanted something new and was initially going to go with Humankind.  Some posts here and word of mouth from some friends convinced me to go with Old World instead.

It's intriguing so far.  I'm on my 3rd game but first real attempt at playing to completion as the first two were more learning sessions than anything.  I'm still in the dark in terms of what improvements to build in and around cities and which family types are best.  I'm finding the AI to be very challenging!  In my first two games, I played as Babylon and Assyria and had a hell of a time with barbarians.  Thus game, I went with Rome and the damned game only put one barbarian tribe anywhere near me.

Oh well, I'm tied for 1st in scoring and I thought I was progressing well with 7 cities and what appeared to be a decent military.  Egypt tried to extort a bunch of concessions from me and I told them to get stuffed so they declared war.  We're nowhere near each other on the map so I sent out several of my best units to form a defensive line in favourable terrain.  I had 3 spearmen, 4  axemen, 2 slingers, and even a war elephant gifted to me from Carthage.  A sea of Eygptian spearmen and slingers  showed up and chewed right through my line.  I lost all my units and only managed to attrit their forces by about a third.  Theres nothing between Rome and the Egyptian hordes now but fields of wheat.  Looks like it's time for game 4!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #43 on: September 07, 2021, 03:28:37 PM
Dang it, SDR.  You're not making the wait for the Steam release any easier here...  :P 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #44 on: September 07, 2021, 04:48:03 PM
Yeah, I'll pick this up once it hits Steam.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy