Author Topic: LONDON'S BURNING: A Quick AAR/Example of Play  (Read 1255 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 10:29:31 AM
Beginning the third Combat Round, our Ace in the Hurricane tries to line up a shot on the German bomber:

The final result is a 7 for the Ju-88, and a 10 for our Ace. That means the Hurricane can put up to three bursts into the bomber. And since we have three bursts left, he's going to go ahead and use them all.

Now, I just need to roll d6 twice for each burst. This means rolling 6d6.

And since the Ace Hurricane hits on a roll of 5 or less, that's really good odds. All six dice result in hits!

Now, let's see where the damage is done.

A hit everywhere except for the Rear Gunner, with the exception of the Pilot, whom receives TWO hits, killing him. The aircraft will therefore crash, scoring a victory for our Ace.

Rolling for defensive fire, I get a 4, so the rear gunner missed.

Sayonara, Jerry!

I'm not even sure if it's necessary, but I go ahead and record the kill on the Ace's sheet. As far as I know, there's no 'extra' Ace status benefits if an Ace gets five more kills. Maybe there's some sort of variant on BGG, but this is okay as is as far as I'm concerned. The Ace Hurricane is a beast of an aircraft, as is the Ace Spitfire.

That's two downed Luftwaffe aircraft in the Destroyed Aircraft box.

And thus, the skies over Southeast England are clear. The Raid was dealt with before it could target and damage anything, and both our pilots scored one kill. A fine start to the game.

Both pilots return to their base.

Of course, that was just the FIRST time phase of this turn.

Both Pilots have had their Fatigue level go up by 1 each for intercepting the Raid. If another Raid is incoming and I choose to intercept it as well, the Pilots will get another Fatigue level. At 4 Fatigue, they suffer a -1 penalty to combat, and at 6 Fatigue, they become useless.

Pilots can gain 2 Fatigue at night at their home base, as long as it is not damaged.

So, the game has a lot of press your luck to it, as well as management to ensure your pilots don't get worn out too quickly, though you want to probably push your Rookies as much as you can to score kills and get them up to that godlike Ace status. That makes it even more painful, however, when an Ace gets shot down by a lucky Me-109 or -110. Or, even a lucky bomber hit.

Great game, in my opinion. Give it a look or purchase if you like this sort of thing and run across it! :)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 11:42:51 PM
Nice AAR, BC.  Congrats to the Ace Hurricane!  :bigthumb: 

So is Avalon Hill still making this game, or is a used/unopened copy the only way to get one's hands on it? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 03:20:24 AM
Well done. I guess once fatigue starts to accumulate things will get hairy.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Lead Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 06:03:53 AM
So is Avalon Hill still making this game, or is a used/unopened copy the only way to get one's hands on it?

Uh dude.  Avalon Hill, as wargamers know and love them, died decades ago.

They're currently a Hasbro imprint that's used for the A&A boardgames, Diplomacy, and some stray bullshit like idiotic pirate island-themed games. 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 08:55:29 AM
They're currently a Hasbro imprint that's used for the A&A boardgames, Diplomacy, and some stray bullshit like idiotic pirate island-themed games.

;D in one

Well done. I guess once fatigue starts to accumulate things will get hairy.

It's one of the main factors in the game. You need to decide if it's worth it, sending your two pilots up, or even one. Since there's so many Day Phases (four total) which can each potentially host one Raid, and because you only recover Fatigue in the Night (end) Phase, and only two levels of it at that, you need to pass up on a lot of raids to let your pilots get rest. Pilot management is key to the game.

The General has a great issue loaded with info on the game...I snagged a copy from Noble Knight Games recently.

Yeah, it was last published in '95-'96, I think. You'd have to check out BGG to see who's selling it, or maybe Fine Games and Collectibles, or Noble Knight, or a similar game reseller. It's not cheap, though...looking at BGG, I see one person selling theirs for $75, and someone on eBay selling theirs for $99.99.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 06:06:42 PM
^  Thanks, BC.  That's pretty much what I figured.  :( 

Uh dude.  Avalon Hill, as wargamers know and love them, died decades ago.

Appreciate the explanation.  I *thought* they'd gone defunct, but was confused when I saw they still had a website. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 05:43:49 AM
Nice AAR, BC.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'