Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: My Laughable Painting Attempts  (Read 5115 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:08 PM
Thought I'd start documenting where I'm at with painting some minis for my Shadows of Brimstone game.

Note that what you see here has taken a few minutes here, a few minutes there, over the last four weeks. Not all at once - that's crazy right now.

It all started with this - a bundle of Forbidden Fortress goodness sold at a very good price (this is the third of three Core sets for SoB):

Well, technically, with my trading earlier this year for the City of the Ancients and Swamps of Death core sets. Plus the Frontier Town expansion. And the Feudal Village expansion. And the Prospector character pack, and the Old West Allies pack, and some paint sets/washes, and brushes, and a few other odds and ends. Oh, and the Blasted Wastes expansion, too.

BW is supposed to be a hell of a great addition to SoB.

But wait, before you think I have acquisition issues, you should see some of the guys on the Shadows of Brimstone community group on FB.

But anyway.

Upon the advice of these fans, I decided to do one set at a time. It might take me months to get it all done, but that's okay. I decided to start with the Forbidden Fortress core set. Here's the assembly guide for its minis:

These slowly but surely came together:

After a bit of research on storage solutions, I decided that the option of gluing a small (20mm-ish) magnet to the underside of the figures, and then using a basic cookie sheet to place them upon, would be the best one. And it works splendidly. That's the box in the lower right corner of the last picture, holding the 20mm magnets I ordered. I thought they may be too small but they work great.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:22:35 PM by BanzaiCat »

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 12:18:15 PM
The next step is priming. At least, according to an awesome YT video I found on painting minis. Honestly, there's so many of the bloody things out there saying "THIS is the best method!" that I just went with the first one, and this guy has a lot of great tips for beginners.

So, I mimicked his priming scheme, using a base coat of black and then putting a light dusting of white from up above. I think it came out very well.

So far, so good, anyway.

I just brought them inside yesterday:

And with a few odds and ends and very little table space, I just need to set up a paint bowl according to the video above (a plastic container like a sandwich container, a soaked, small stack of paper towels with the excess water drained out, and then parchment paper on top. Then, paint will be dabbed on top of that, and the moistness should help keep the paint from drying too quickly - especially if I'm slow, which I foresee.

I've not gotten to setting up the paint yet - will need an hour or two of uninterrupted time, and that's really going to be a challenge.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 12:38:26 PM
excellent - any paint is better than no paint

nice use of the zenithal there - the videos ive watched utilising it now uuse washes or contrast paints to help the zenithal do its work - otherwise youre just painting over your priming

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 12:53:11 PM
Looks like a good start. I recently acquired an unpunched copy of Battle Cry (the first one) and was surprised at how detailed the minis were. It's tempting to try to paint them but it's also easier to just use the blocks from Hold the Line ACW.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 01:30:52 PM
That should keep you quiet occupied for a good while.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:20:06 AM
Good variety of figures !

Go forth and never look back ! We want to read those AARs and see pretty pics !

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 05:13:14 PM
Hoi, as 'moi' barely elicited any slight 'chortle' from espying these, so, I am OWED further "laughworthy" prospects, or else ascribe yet another 'topic' of such! Good Day, sirrah!

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 06:15:11 PM
Missed a spot.

Yours helpfully,

Me

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 10:06:43 AM
Nice start! Keep it simple.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 10:10:31 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I bought another set of paints (didn't think I had enough with just 20, wanted more variety and actual base greens and browns), paintbrush cleaner, and a paint set organizer to keep things neat. The organizer won't fit all my brushes but that's no big deal - it was super cheap and has lots of space. I also got a Citadel Miniatures handle for the 30mm figures. It won't fit the larger ones but I'll figure something out with that.

I just spent a handful of minutes this morning gluing 20mm magnets to the bottom of each figure, so that's all done. I'm hoping to get something started this weekend. I will update with pics if I can get to this.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 10:25:05 AM
GrogNads has a point - you haven't given anything to actually laugh at yet, ergo this thread title is false advertising

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 10:38:47 AM
Just you wait

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 11:59:40 AM
BC, they sucketh not. You're gonna have to try harder to live up to the subject matter.   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 03:51:15 PM
Here we go...

Got a short break from everything to try my hand at this.

I'm starting with three larger figures (40mm I think), called 'Oni,' which are large demons from the base Forbidden Fortress set. I painted a base red coat on them and then, assembly-line style, painted another coat as they had plenty of time to dry (I think, anyway...prob about 15 minutes each).

I'm relatively happy with the results, though they seem splotchy. I don't know, I don't have much of a base of reference.

Do you mini painters out there ever do three layers of paint? Or maybe I should just leave it as is. I don't want to lay it on too thick.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 04:39:24 PM
There are many techniques for shading and highlighting and using acrylic inks, but although tips from painters are useful, there is really no substitute for experimentation and gaining experience.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'