Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The 2022 Suggestion Box  (Read 9126 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 09:30:59 AM
Truthfully, it's not just AARs.  Look at the numbers of comments we get - either in the forums or directly on the articles - for any of our articles or podcasts out there.

And it's not just us.  Go look at PaxSims and see how many articles have comments on them.  Go look at Big Board, or No Dice No Glory, or Real and Simulated Wars, or any of the others.  At least half of TPA's articles don't have comments and they're one of the biggest sites in the space.  RPS gets a lot of comments but their audience is in the tens of thousands.

So yes, it can be disheartening, especially when we've got some articles that are specifically asking for audience feedback.  Folks like Gary & Moe that get a lot of interaction are specifically interacting with their audience in a live give-&-take so that's totally different than what we're doing

We get few comments on the links to our articles we post to other social media, whether Twitter, or FB, or CSW, or BGG, or anything else.  Even when we ask for those comments, we don't get them.

So I hear you - I definitely do.  It can be disappointing.  But it's also not unique to us, so don't take it personally :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 09:31:45 AM
Sort of an epic-level AAR spanning multiple games and publishers.

that's how AR ended up with a book deal and his first novel published  8)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

judgedredd

Reply #32 on: June 22, 2022, 11:06:14 AM
I find all aars very interesting, I have written many - I’m also guilty of not contributing to others simply because I’ve nothing to say other than hooray or bravo and that seems so mundane in the grand scheme of things it’s easier not to - it’s certainly not ignorance or disinterest
I can see how they feel mundane - it's not about having an ego massaged or anything like that but those themselves show "someone somewhere" is enjoying it. Maybe not quite that mundane - but you know, "That's an interesting mechanic". The author already knows people are looking because of the Views count on the thread.

But I tend to agree with you that showing an actual interest is really what I like to see. Tolstoi asking questions about Fields of Fire showed he was not only reading it, but that he was interested enough to want to know more than I was providing. And that also keeps you thinking about the clarity of your AAR.

I've had an idea for an AAR, ever since I did that Silent Victory one over at The Other SiteTM, which would involve multiple games and characters that are in some cases, related. Or, a game within a game, too.

I mapped out about 30 games to cover WW1 and WW2, and perhaps other conflicts outside of this, as a way of telling a story of multiple generations. It would not only talk of how the game plays, but would read much like a story in the vein of Wouk's 'War and Remembrance.' Sort of an epic-level AAR spanning multiple games and publishers.

I'd already played a campaign of Beneath the Med, notating dates and such. I intend to do that with other games, and then align everything as needed. It would jump around a bit, so I think it would need to deploy in two ways - one, as individual AARs for each game, and two, the epic itself in a large PDF-like document. The only issue is, I'm not sure anyone would really want to spend the effort to read it. This is honestly more for my own need to satisfy a craving for creativity, and I'm thinking if anyone gets any kind of interest or satisfaction out of it themselves, then so much the better.
Like a game in Battle for Normandy, followed by Last Hundred Yards, onto a Bulge game? But starting in WWI?

Seems like a huge task - but also seems interesting and might scratch that itch for creative writing you seem to have.

But - that is going to require huge dedication. Also, readers would expect progress given the theme - which puts even more pressure on you.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 11:27:00 AM
which puts even more pressure on you.

C'mon now.... if there's anyone who is adept at ignoring pressure around here, it's got to be BC!  :cowboy:

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #34 on: June 22, 2022, 11:27:22 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #35 on: June 22, 2022, 03:57:35 PM
With 1 retweet and 2 likes but no answers….
I can’t answer not on Twitter.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #36 on: June 22, 2022, 03:59:00 PM
I dont use Twitter.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #37 on: June 22, 2022, 04:01:18 PM
^ same...sorry

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #38 on: June 22, 2022, 04:04:07 PM
Me too

Just us old folks here

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 04:05:02 PM
I have enough problems with FB.........................

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #40 on: June 22, 2022, 04:44:03 PM
With 1 retweet and 2 likes but no answers….
I can’t answer not on Twitter.

23 votes so far (only been up since this morning)  top 2 are tied w/ 34.8%

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #41 on: June 22, 2022, 04:51:36 PM
Like a game in Battle for Normandy, followed by Last Hundred Yards, onto a Bulge game? But starting in WWI?

Seems like a huge task - but also seems interesting and might scratch that itch for creative writing you seem to have.

But - that is going to require huge dedication. Also, readers would expect progress given the theme - which puts even more pressure on you.

Kind of. I'm willing to let the 'major events' occur as they did, perhaps slightly differently, depending on the narratives that develop.

I'm thinking of, say, Absolute War The Russian Front, then if they get to Stalingrad, switching to Stalingrad: Inferno on the Volga. And when that gets close to Pavlov's House, switching to that game.

It sounds like it might be disjointed but I intend it to read like a novel. And given any particular time frame within a larger war, there won't be too many things going on at the same time. I can see two pilots, brothers, one in Nightfighter Ace and one in Interceptor Ace; their father perhaps was a Zeppelin commander in Zeppelin Raider. Lots of ways to do it.

And oh yes, I know progress must be made. Which is why I would not release it until it was finished.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)