Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: GURPS  (Read 7067 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 08:50:59 AM
Oh, I'd forgotten about Four Against Darkness, Bob. Totally solo RPG-type of play. You need graph paper, dice, and a pencil, just like in the good ol' days.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 08:52:45 AM
Not heard of that one before.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 09:08:56 AM
Also take a look at d100 Dungeon. Best part about it is that it is free (in the Files section).

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 09:41:03 AM
Thanks, Mike, I'll take a look.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 11:13:57 AM
Until GURPS, and MSH in the early 80s, the RPG world was dominated by 4 games: D&D, Runequest, Traveler, and T&T. 

Champions tried to make some inroads, as did V&V, but superheroes never fully caught on until TSR released the MSH game.
Top Secret sold a bunch, but good luck finding anyone who actually played it.

It was the same "big 4" until early 83, and the suddenly you had a huge explosion in options over the next 3-5 years or so, with GURPS, Star Frontiers, T2K, the first mass-retail editions of Chaosium's Cthulhu and Elric games, the FGU a-game-for-every-possible-oeuvre, SPI's attempts at Universe / DragonQuest, Indiana Jones, Gangbusters, Recon, Mechwarrior, the goofy one-book games from Tri-Tac, Rolemaster (which everyone seemed to own and no one played), Harn (which no one seemed to own but everyone claimed to have read), and the UK SJ's Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.

But at the outset, T&T was one of the very first "it's like D&D, but here's how it's different...." kinds of games, and Ken St Andre was always big on solo support as he realized that not everyone wanted to fly their geek flags too high if they wanted to survive high school.

T&T got (unfairly, IMHO) kicked to the curb as the D&D 2e explosion took off in the early 90s, as there wasn't a great "game world" built around it, and there wasn't really enough differentiation between it and BECMI D&D as a rules set.  It was fun, but fell behind other more sophisticated "product lines" at a time when the RPG world was rapidly becoming more consumerized and moved out of the fan-driven first 10-15 years of the hobby.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:51 PM
Ha, you mention several I flirted with/played a bit of back in the day, but never kept up with.

I had Top Secret and loved it. Played it a few times. I think I might still have the box set somewhere, though don't hold me to that.

Indiana Jones I saw a few times in the game shop but never bought it. Regretted it immensely, but I ended up acquiring the PDFs to it, which I have somewhere on my desktop computer...where they'll gather e-dust I'm sure.

Recon. Whoa. A few of my ROTC friends in high school LOVED that game but it didn't appeal to me. My friends and I did, however, play quite a bit of Twilight: 2000.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 03:42:33 PM
We played the crap out of Top Secret, Role Master, and Space Master.