Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FFG will be discontinuing RPG development  (Read 6708 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: February 18, 2020, 01:59:13 PM
http://www.d20radio.com/main/fantasy-flight-games-long-term-plan-will-discontinue-rpg-development/

It also remains unknown as to why Fantasy Flight Games has made the decision to end RPG Production in the long-term. To date, neither FFG or their parent company, Asmodee, have made any public statement or comment on the matter.

While it is unsubstantiated conjecture, industry pundits and internet commentators have expressed numerous opinions that Asmodee is prepping FFG for a sale, or that French private equity firm, Eurazeo (who purchased Asmodee in 2013) is perhaps prepping Asmodee for a sale. Still other commentators are of the opinion that parent company Asmodee is simply seeking to focus exclusively on the board-game market. All of which – again – is unsubstantiated conjecture, to this point.

Following the 2013 acquisition by Eurazeo, Asmodee became extremely active in mergers and acquisitions of other hobby companies, beginning with the 2014 merger of Asmodee with Days of Wonder, and then with Fantasy Flight Games. 2016 saw the Asmodee acquisition of Z-Man Games, Plaid Hat Games, and Filosophia; as well as the announcement of agreements for Asmodee to publish the English-language versions of Catan from Mayfair Games (creating a new company, Catan Studio, Inc.). In 2017, Asmodee merged with German board game publisher Heidelberger Spieleverlag, and acquired the Spanish editor, Edge Entertainment. In 2018, Asmodee announced the acquisitions of both the Polish game publisher, Rebel; and the European distributor, ACD Blackfire Entertainment. None of these endeavors focused on the publishing of RPG material.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:58:43 PM
I am curious as to the "why?" behind this.  Hopefully an explanation is forthcoming fairly soon. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:28:34 AM
Probably boils down to costs, as with anything. No idea but maybe their RPG group had a much thinner margin than the rest of their endeavors.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:05:25 AM
So I should be able to sell all of my funky Star Wars dice on ebay soon for megabucks?  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 09:11:32 AM
FFG is apparently laying off a bunch of people, and changing several of their policies, too

https://spikeybits.com/2020/02/gaming-giant-ffg-slashes-more-key-services-departments.html

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:18:37 AM
They've been acting wonky for the last few years, ever since they merged with Asmodee.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 09:21:05 AM
Considering the popularity of their games and the prices they charge, there must be some serious mismanagement going on.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 09:25:54 AM
They (FFG) had a huge selection of titles at one time, with some really big name games. I've not really looked at what they've been up to for a while. I know that 'Dust Tactics' was quite popular, and had some nice, albeit expensive, mini's.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 09:38:21 AM
Their holiday sales are awesome.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 09:42:39 AM
I was once very tempted by the Tannhäuser games.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 12:36:58 PM
FFG is apparently laying off a bunch of people, and changing several of their policies, too

https://spikeybits.com/2020/02/gaming-giant-ffg-slashes-more-key-services-departments.html

Considering the popularity of their games and the prices they charge, there must be some serious mismanagement going on.

Am I the only one who sees some disturbing parallels between FFG's situation and the implosion of TSR back in the 90's?  I realize it's not quite the same situation, but it is bothersome. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 01:14:30 PM
FFG has been making a number of changes since Christian Petersen jumped ship.   The new Star Wars RPG never got traction and the Genesys game never got past a core book. You look at the screwing over of the  $$$ cow. -Wing by releasing a second edition and the discontinuing of Net Runner...trouble.

Plus Asmodee’s buying everything under the sun has got to strain their resources to try and keep every game development section running.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 02:18:33 PM
They also shit the bed with Star Wars Destiny, Star Wars Legion, and Keyforge.

Pissed off the Star Wars Imperial Assault crowd by releasing a fun, app-driven co-op mode, cut off support to the already existing skirmish-mode player base, and then once the co-op thing took off, cancelling the whole series. 

The last couple Mansions of Madness expansions were pretty lacklustre and they've resorted to copy-pasting characters, events, and whole plot lines between Mom< Arkham Horror, and Arkham Horror: LCG as well.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 02:25:42 PM
Not sure how you kill the golden goose of Star Wars but FFG has done it not that Disney hasn’t been helping out with the process.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 04:27:27 PM
Not sure how you kill the golden goose of Star Wars but FFG has done it not that Disney hasn’t been helping out with the process.

One way is to have three core rules books which are mostly cut and past from the first one.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy