Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Balloon Goes Up - 8th Guard Army WW3 game  (Read 3564 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:14 PM
Anyone know anything about this one besides what's on CSW?

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1de00e06/0

A new game using a heavily-modified version of Mark Herman's Flashpoint: Golan game system, ported over to central Europe. The game is set in August 1986, with accurate orders of battle for the probable participants down to battalion level (with some companies and batteries here and there)--US V Corps, WG III Korps, FR 1st Army, Sov 8th Guards and 1st Guards Tank Armies, EG 3rd Army, and elements of other forces. The scenarios depict Warsaw Pact drives into the province of Hesse, with objectives of Kassel, the Fulda Gap, Frankfurt, and ultimately the Rhine River. The game uses a chit-pull activation system, with divisions being the primary formations. Game scale is 4km per hex, turns are 1 day (12-hour activation impulses).

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 12:15:21 PM
Nope (yawn). If I had to buy into this sort of game, it would have to be Under and iron Sky.

Sorry.

:-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 01:08:10 AM
Nope (yawn). If I had to buy into this sort of game, it would have to be Under and iron Sky.

Sorry.

:-)

I am intrigued ... but I do have to ask the question what is different between BGU, UAIS, and Paul Rohrbaugh.  Because they all deal with practically the same units covering the same geography - complexity (and level of detail?) are definitely different.  But therefore so will time
to play (and for me, that affects whether I will ever actually get this on the table - a reality which I have been trying to weigh more and more into my purchase/no purchase decisions).  So, it comes down to technique ... they all will get you there the question for me is which is most enjoyable while not just becoming a themed puzzle game.  I want good tactics to  result in good results.  The last does not always result in a fun game ... but when it does - that usually equates to a must buy for me.

I don't know that I know enough about any of these titles to make such a judgement at this time.  The subject matter definitely intrigues me since this is the war I trained for back in the day.