Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Strategy gaming humor  (Read 17253 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: October 22, 2020, 11:07:08 PM
I suspect at least a few of us can relate...   ;) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 11:20:03 PM
Every single time...

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:25:25 PM
Every Civ game I play, I have to restrain myself from burying the other Civs. Especially when they get pissy and insulting, and my military is easily 100 times more powerful than theirs.

Never understood how the AI can have the cojones to challenge a much more powerful enemy by throwing shade at them. Really? You want some of these nukes and Giant Death Robots? Well okay, if you insist... ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 12:42:22 AM
Heh this, I’ve never played a civ game where it’s anymore than a one horse race ie me - once I get to gunpowder I’m way out front and then it’s tanks versus spearmen - I’ve never sat there thinking ‘I hope XXX doesn’t declare on me or I’m in trouble’

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 02:10:15 AM
In my most recent game of Galactic Civilizations III, I was playing as the Altarians, with the full intention to just play my way to a nice influence/cultural victory...until two things happened: 

1.)  First contact occurred with the Drengin (of all races), who immediately began pissing in my cornflakes. 

2.)  I discovered one of the star systems nearest my homeworld contained not 1, but *2* Precursor worlds.  (I damn near crapped myself in surprised, unholy glee.) 

It was no more Mr. Nice Altarian after that...  >:D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 06:30:21 AM
You guys are playing on settings that are too easy if you can afford that much of a military build-up or to jump that far out in technology. Bump up the difficulty some where you've got to spend more of your resources on managing your population and the AI gets out ahead of you technologically and see what happens.

I've been able to win multiple civ games at King and harder without ever declaring war against another civ (those still had to defend myself against being attacked on occasion)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:22:02 AM
Oh, no. I usually eschew military strength to build up an unholy economy. So if war does come, I can mass produce units quickly. Sometimes I'll keep a handful of military around, but the AI civs still get insulting more often than not.

I've never played Civ V where I've been oppressive of the city-states, but more often than not there's an aggressor that LOVES to conquer them. Funny how the world calls *me* the warmonger when they've been raging across the planet for decades, conquering every helpless city-state in their path, but when I come along and start liberating them, somehow I'm the evil overlord? :)

What's even funnier is that usually this oppressor of city-states is Greece. You know, the Civ that has the power to maintain high relations with city-states. Nahh, let's just have a go at 'em rather, eh?  ;D

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 10:00:54 AM
It's the opposite for me. I think when it comes to these 4x games I tend to 'role play' more than 'try to win a game' (aka, 'what formula do I follow to win every time'). As a result I pretty much play at 'Prince' level in Civ and it's still a challenge for me most of the time.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:42 AM
It's the opposite for me. I think when it comes to these 4x games I tend to 'role play' more than 'try to win a game' (aka, 'what formula do I follow to win every time'). As a result I pretty much play at 'Prince' level in Civ and it's still a challenge for me most of the time.

This.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 10:26:30 AM
It would be great to do a true RPG experience with a game like Civ V or Civ VI (or anything similar). Problem is, the AI sucks in the Civ series, so almost universally they start getting nasty and insulting, whether it's my military that's stronger or, more likely, my economy is the largest of all other Civs. I hate it when relations suddenly turn sour for no reason - I establish trade routes, try to have positive diplomatic dialogues, but it never seems to matter; they always get mad.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 10:33:53 AM
The solution to that is to play a game in Hotseat and play (role play) as every Civ. Yes, it can make for a long game and sounds crazy but I love it.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 10:48:00 AM
It would be great to do a true RPG experience with a game like Civ V or Civ VI (or anything similar). Problem is, the AI sucks in the Civ series, so almost universally they start getting nasty and insulting, whether it's my military that's stronger or, more likely, my economy is the largest of all other Civs. I hate it when relations suddenly turn sour for no reason - I establish trade routes, try to have positive diplomatic dialogues, but it never seems to matter; they always get mad.

you could just shrug and ignore them instead of picking fights with baseless insults...  I mean, unless you're angling to be an actual politician ;D

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 11:06:28 AM
TBH, it's sometimes therapeutic to flatten other Civs. But gets old fast sometimes too.

But I should add it's quite enjoyable to play as Venice, whom cannot gain additional cities.

I think there's a game option you can set, too, so you cannot found new cities, or maybe it limits you to a certain number of cities.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 11:19:37 AM
But I should add it's quite enjoyable to play as Venice, whom cannot gain additional cities.

you can conquer other cities, and puppet the city-states, too (and eventually annex them)

you just can't found anymore yourself

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 11:24:27 AM
I stand corrected, you are right. I thought I'd never play as them but had a very enjoyable session as them a few times.