Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 228557 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1230 on: July 01, 2023, 05:56:01 PM
Sat here smiling - that’s a weekend of awesomeness right there

Get well buddy and rest up

Thanks, pal.  I'm doing my best to take it easy, and just enjoy this time as much as I can.  :) 

I started with some Stellaris, of course, but I do believe some Knights of Honor 2 is in order this evening.  I was getting all geared up to play as Castille, but then I suddenly felt like I'd be copying you.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1231 on: July 01, 2023, 07:09:28 PM
Sat here smiling - that’s a weekend of awesomeness right there

Get well buddy and rest up

Thanks, pal.  I'm doing my best to take it easy, and just enjoy this time as much as I can.  :) 

I started with some Stellaris, of course, but I do believe some Knights of Honor 2 is in order this evening.  I was getting all geared up to play as Castille, but then I suddenly felt like I'd be copying you.  :P

England is always the strongest in games like these but through my gaming history I’ve always been drawn to Spain or Italy

Btw my playthrough was Genoa

Castile is the very old CK2 playthrough

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1232 on: July 01, 2023, 08:34:03 PM
England is always the strongest in games like these but through my gaming history I’ve always been drawn to Spain or Italy

I realized a while ago that with pretty much any medieval-era strategy game (Crusader Kings 2, Medieval Total War, etc.), I avoid England and France on my first few playthroughs.  I think it's because those two countries seem to be the ones most often (and/or stereotypically) associated with the medieval period, so I automatically try to play as a different nation. 

Like yourself, Spain has long appealed to me, or even just the Christian powers on the Iberian peninsula in general.  The Byzantine Empire is another one that always fascinates me, though it's usually somewhat overwhelming and/or intimidating trying to run a larger nation when you're first learning a new game -- particularly one like Byzantium, which sat at the crossroads of the "known" world, and thus had many issues to deal with (even setting aside its own internal court intrigue).  The Levant is, of course, an interesting place to start a campaign in, with Egypt (Fatamids) being a particular favorite of mine.  And in more recent years, I've been increasingly curious at giving someone like Kiev or Novgorod a go.  (Hmm...) 

Btw my playthrough was Genoa

Castile is the very old CK2 playthrough

Ach, I'm an idiot, you're right.  I don't know why I had Castile stuck in my head (other than, of course, that it was a very good AAR :notworthy: ). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1233 on: July 01, 2023, 08:38:57 PM
We’re getting old - it’s allowed

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1234 on: July 08, 2023, 05:16:46 PM
Operation Zitadelle

I have NO IDEA on setup. It does look like the Germans are going to get gubbed

Hourly once I've played it I'll have a practical understanding of the rules and therefore better understand how to setup

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1235 on: July 08, 2023, 07:51:22 PM
The Hunters, German U-Boats at War, 1939-1943. About to do a thing.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1236 on: July 09, 2023, 02:43:24 AM
I really enjoyed my playthrough of The Hunters

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1237 on: July 11, 2023, 08:15:49 AM
I've decided to start again. I had chosen Zitadelle as a starting scenario but actually there are no starting scenarios in this game...they all include the whole ruleset.

Additionally, they complicate things with their setup.

So it's the full blown campaign
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 10:47:05 AM by JudgeDredd »

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1238 on: July 11, 2023, 09:15:43 AM
I had chosen Zitadelle as a starting scenario but actually there are no starting scenarios in this game...

I'm surprised to read there are no starting scenarios, nor is the campaign broken up into smaller battles for either shorter games, or teaching the game to players. I know this is a reprint of the 1974 game, so maybe the original only had the full campaign? I would have thought GMT would have provided at least an intro scenario.

Looks like a great game. I hope you have fun. :bigthumb:

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1239 on: July 11, 2023, 10:46:49 AM
There are smaller scenarios...6, 7, 8 turns. But they kind of incorporate all the rules anyway. There's not little combat scenario really.

Also, with the scenarios for example, using the scenario card does not enable you to setup the scenario properly. There are additional instructions in the manual. For example, Zitadelle explains in the manual that you have to have a load of units in the Replacements Box - but the scenario card does not mention this.

Honestly, for a 5th edition and a deluxe version, I found the manual somewhat of a minefield. It seems to me it's geared towards more experienced users. Also - the index is horrible.

But the game itself is very good and enjoyable. Simple...with the exception of having to remember/hunt for nuances.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1240 on: August 18, 2023, 09:37:22 AM
after working 11 days out of the last 14 ive finally managed a five day stretch of my own time

this weekend i hope to get into Jagged Alliance 3 a bit more - ive finished the tutorial island and am heading towards the mainland where the first mine is - ive sold my captured diamonds and im sat on 22k before the contracts come up again in a weeks time - i dont think its enough - i need to get the mine up and running within the week

the voyages of U96 will continue in UBoat im just sailing to the patrol area of the fourth mission which should take in the shoulder of ireland and cardiff bay again so there should be plenty of activity

and my plan is to get into DW2 again - a pre warp start is always so relaxing just watching galactic shit go by until youre ready to expand

and seeing if BH can scrape up the energy to thoroughly crush me again at Flashpoint Campaigns

whilst it is indeed a rich selection of gaming i find myself hankering after a new game, i think the excitement that has been generated by Diablo 4 and BG3 is infectious, however if you dont actually want those 2 im out of luck for new games in my area of interest - everything on the wishlist is a long way away and unless there are some hidden gems im unaware of im 'stuck' with what i have

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #1241 on: August 18, 2023, 09:52:31 AM
We're playing the new Kingmaker Sunday -- five of us.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1242 on: August 18, 2023, 10:27:13 AM
More of this delightful game

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1243 on: August 18, 2023, 11:24:22 AM
More of this delightful game

Looks interesting JD

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1244 on: August 18, 2023, 11:53:53 AM
Desert Island board game.

I love it - and yeah - it looks interesting because the Germans aren't screwing around!