Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Post your screenshots! Share your game stories!  (Read 53886 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #30 on: December 12, 2020, 03:50:42 PM
Its Urtuk, The Desolation. I got it in a sale and its actually surprisingly good. I've been playing for quite a while and got something like 300+ hours on it.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #31 on: December 12, 2020, 04:48:42 PM
The few defending forces I have there don't have much firepower.  I have managed to stymie the American attack on the right side, and I also repulsed the attack in the center, but my defenses on the right are thin with no depth.

yeah, having to cover multiple potential victory locations when the other guy only needs one of them is a pain

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 08:40:19 PM

So is the lesson here that stone buildings in this scenario are really a trap?  (Did you even have a better choice, given the circumstances?)

Stone buildings are usually good defensive terrain because it's hard to dislodge units from them.  But with enough of the powerful American units, they can firegroup to get enough power to have a good chance to overcome the defensive benefit of stone buildings.  They can also advance and use their strong assault fire capability to both move and shoot.  (The disadvantage of American units is that they have low morale and break easily.)  My forces are too weak to counterattack effectively, so I have to hide rather than shoot.  The best I can do is skulk (a tactic to move out of LOS during your turn to avoid defensive fire), or move back a hex at a time to slow him down as much as possible.

In retrospect, my forward defense on the left didn't work too well, but I didn't want to let him just walk across the street and get himself into the stone buildings.  Perhaps I could've moved my medium MG to cover that approach, but my placement of it in the center turned out to be very effective.  I expected to lose my forward defense, but I was hoping that they would slow them down just a bit longer until my reinforcements arrived.  Perhaps I should've set up a hex or two back, but if I would've done that, they could have swarmed across the street and then surround me pretty quickly.  I also had to carefully balance my meager forces to defend all across the front: if I would've had a stronger defense on the left, then I would have had to give up something in the center or the right, and he could've concentrated his attack there. 

Ah well, that's what makes this fun, and it's not over yet.  I've had a lot of ASL games that I thought were won or lost, only to have the tables turned.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: December 16, 2020, 04:39:01 AM

In the remote Thabit system, the Yv'Zorak Confederation's 1st and 4th Fleets battle something out of myth and legend.  It's like watching a kraken being attacked by a school of piranhas. 

Nearly two hundred warships and their crews were dispatched to take it out.  Barely half of them would survive to return home. 

Yet they did prevail in the end.  After some deliberation (and with a fair amount of urging from the Admiralty), the Yv'Zorak government decided to repair the mighty vessel to serve as the navy's flagship. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #34 on: January 26, 2021, 03:50:41 PM
Rome 2 with the DEI Mod. Check-out Rome's newest class of warship, The BAB Class or, Big Ass Ballista Class. She wallows like a pregnant hippopotamus in the water but she can put a flaming bolt through your front room window from down-town Cleveland.

One of the things I like best about this mod is the way it handles navies. What you can build in your Shipwrights is limited by your Culture and the Tech you research. Rome can't build crap by herself for a very long time and a big naval power like Carthage, Athens, or Egypt will put their boots to your buttocks easily until you can catch-up. But you can conquer their Shipwright Cities and adapt their Tech to your use. Then you still have to have the coin and the right class of citizens to man them but you can build a First Class Navy. And with a good Admiral to lead them and a little Experience, you've got a truly powerful force.

It takes longer than vanilla does and costs a lot, both the build and to maintain them but your navies feel more real and like a true national treasure not be wasted on sight-seeing. Add in the mod's Supply Mechanic where you suffer Attrition when in a Sea Region without a friendly port adjacent, and you got a lot to consider rather than just build and sail, build and sail. Fortunately you can, with the right Tech, build Supply Ships that allow your fleets to stay in supply wherever they go. Then you can start to project some real Naval Power.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 01:52:51 AM
Dang it, Sir Slash, and I had just started new campaign in Warhammer II.  Now I want to fire up DEI again.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 12:11:41 PM
Sorry. The Orks would LOVE this ship.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 09:05:13 PM
Desperately trying to get a game started but always lured away by mini painting - must out brushes down

judgedredd

Reply #38 on: January 30, 2021, 02:10:46 AM
We (bob and I and Tuna) were talking about you the other day UCG...about painting.

We were talking about modelling and that my least enjoyable part about model making is painting. I love building them but then I get myself all hett up when it comes to painting. My A-10 has been sitting waiting for more than just a coat of undercoat for about 5 months. AND - I won't touch another model until I've got it painted and done.

Bob was saying how much you enjoy painting mini's and do commissions now...good on you. I've seen your work - it's very good.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #39 on: January 30, 2021, 02:34:58 AM
Cheers JD - I find it a very calming and relaxing hobby - its one of the few things I can do that clears my mind of everything - if I watch tv or play a pc game I’m either thinking about what to paint or work or the weather but painting just zones me out

I will say the issue with monetising the hobby is when you stop it makes you think you’re losing money but I take a relaxed approach to it - fortunately I don’t play the games I paint for so I never feel my own minis are suffering

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #40 on: February 16, 2021, 04:52:53 AM

Back in the game!!

I feel instantly familiar with the Empire although i never played them on the table top - this is the first battle triggered by a mission on starting the campaign - i took 601 men and lost 109 after destroying the heinous Empire cessationists

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #41 on: February 16, 2021, 06:22:08 AM
 :bigthumb:

Looks like a match between Birmingham City and Man U.

C'MON THE BLUES!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #42 on: February 16, 2021, 06:30:54 AM
Ahem - I’m the reds!!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #43 on: February 16, 2021, 06:31:44 AM
You poor misguided person :-)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #44 on: February 16, 2021, 06:39:42 AM
I would never support man United but my empire friends here have donned the red of altdorf