Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Wargame coverage from the outside  (Read 3968 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
on: May 11, 2022, 10:12:44 PM
I have no idea how Podcast Addict ordering my podcasts. I know I'm way behind, but I have no idea how this thing is working. Which is not really here nor there, except that I just listened to the Nature Podcast from 03 July 2020. For most of 2020, they'd separated their coronavirus coverage from their regular science news and this was a Coronapod episode covering "Coronapod: Lessons from pandemic ‘war-game’ simulations".

These journalists had never heard of health security wargames or possibly even wargames at all, and have  outsiders' perspective on them.

"It's kind of like a fire alarm so that you figure out, ‘Oh, I don't really know where the stairs are.’ So, it's a chance to kind of test the system and see what people aren't so fast at, what they don't know. And it's also a way of like spotting problems as they arise. And then the other thing these should do is kind of freak people out. If you get the right people in the audience, these participants who are sort of watching this play by play happen, they should be very worried at the end and hopefully that worry starts translating into policies or actions that are also funded in order to do things that prevent those problems that came up during the simulation."

The podcast episode is Coronapod: Lessons from pandemic ‘war-game’ simulations, and an article coauthored by one of them
is Two decades of pandemic war games failed to account for Donald Trump.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd