Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Guadalcanal campaign  (Read 4156 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
on: March 05, 2023, 05:48:15 PM
https://nymas.org/podcasts/John%20Prados%20-%20Solomons%20128kbps.mp3

The late John Prados did a podcast for the New York Military Affairs Symposium, nymas, on the Solomon's campaign.
Lots of good insight on the two sides, and their unique issues.  His coverage on the Japanese view is quite good.
Nymas has many recorded lectures.  The one by Steve zaloga on Normandy is good.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 05:51:20 PM by besilarius »

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 06:40:51 PM
Oooh, I need to listen! Thanks for posting the link.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 09:03:37 PM
https://nymas.org/podcasts/John%20Prados%20-%20Solomons%20128kbps.mp3

The late John Prados did a podcast for the New York Military Affairs Symposium, nymas, on the Solomon's campaign.
Lots of good insight on the two sides, and their unique issues.  His coverage on the Japanese view is quite good.
Nymas has many recorded lectures.  The one by Steve zaloga on Normandy is good.

Any idea if this is available in a traditional podcast, and not just a streamed file on a website? I would love to listen to it.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 01:58:52 AM
Check the nymas.org website for their offerings.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 12:18:37 PM
Check the nymas.org website for their offerings.

Thanks. Lots of very interesting stuff on their webpage, but I can't find a good RSS stream for their podcasts in a usable format.

(Not directed at you, but...) a bunch of web-based links to audio files put a pretty high barrier up for people who want to listen to these "podcasts."

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 04:15:32 PM
Besilauris - thanks for sharing this, I didn't know about NYMAS and it is a wealth of info.

TTC - I don't see a RSS feed either. I emailed the point of contact for the website and asked if they have an RSS feed and if not, if they'd consider adding one.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 04:50:05 PM
http://www.combinedfleet.com/guadoil1.htm

A friend brought up the old question of why didn't the Japanese use more battleships to bombard and wreck Henderson Field.
A good appreciation of the IJN's logistic issues to complement the Prados lecture.