Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Rule The Waves 3  (Read 3068 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: May 22, 2023, 10:15:42 AM

And no sooner had I downloaded the copy so graciously provided to us by the communications team at Slitherine and started playing. And after 13 hours and a tinker at how a few nations play out and from a 1890 start reaching 1912 with Japan Its probably time to start writing this review. Alas I should have been taking notes right from the off but the game is just too good!

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/reviews/rtw3first/

Hazdrubal gives it a whirl

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 01:19:14 PM by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 01:10:20 PM
Good review - my purchase is imminent once I get my confidence up...have not played a RTW game before.

Also...quick edit...'Alas I should have been taking notes write from the off but the game is just too good!' 'Write' should be 'right,' eh?

Always do what you feel is best.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 01:18:47 PM
Also...quick edit...'Alas I should have been taking notes write from the off but the game is just too good!' 'Write' should be 'right,' eh?

FIRE THE EDITOR!

(going to fix now....)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 03:08:05 PM
Wurd.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 03:23:21 PM
I wonder how RTW3 compares with "Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts"?  UAD is still considered unfinished, but the concepts between the two games appear similar. Thoughts or experiences anyone?

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 08:17:31 PM
I am interested in the combat part of the game, but less so the development and design.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 06:52:01 AM
Chatter online has many players favoring Rule the Waves 3 over Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts. UA has been taking a pummeling in Steam reviews lately as patching and updating, according to some, have wrecked the game.

Visually, UA is beautiful, but reports on the AI and the campaign mode are negative currently.

All of which makes me sad as I was a Day 1 backer of the UA game. That said, I am delighted to have an alternative to go to.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 08:29:05 AM
I actually bought and refunded UAD a couple of months ago since it came out of the oven unbaked. It's pretty rare for me to refund a game, but that being said, UAD remained on my radar. I think Rule the Waves 3 looks pretty good. And I'm definitely interested in the naval design ability as well as combat. I remain a fervent believer in Battlecruisers!!!

Yeah, wish me luck on that one....

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 08:59:14 AM
I really like the idea of force generations & fleet management, as I think it's a severely underserved facet of things.  A land- and/or air-based game like that would be great, too (there was something like that in use at CGSC for a while, but not lately)

However, that combat / battle resolution UI is paaaaaaainful.  I know that's not the point of the game, but we've evolved past 1989, guys. ::)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 10:39:18 AM
Being able to manage your Admirals and Commanders Should add a lot to the game. What've they done with subs? Any new changes there?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming