Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Gettysburg - Brigade Series IV from Worthington.  (Read 3555 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: June 22, 2023, 03:43:22 PM
https://www.worthingtonpublishing.com/collection/gettysburg-1863-pre-order-this-game-will-ship-january-2024

Game number IV in the ACW Brigade Series from Worthington. I've played the first two games in the series and really enjoyed them, so this, depending on final cost, may well go on my 'want' list. It would be good to have a manageable Gettysburg game, and I do like the scale of this series, plus they are easy to learn and quite quick to play.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:46:04 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 05:14:58 PM
I don't own any Worthington Games

I do like the look of their ACW series though

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 05:56:00 PM
The first game, Antietam, is really good and its an interesting battle. I wasn't so keen of the Shiloh game though to be honest.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 11:17:12 PM
I'm always fascinated to find that non-US folks think the ACW is that interesting :)

Especially, since I find it awfully boring!

Bawb, is there something particular about the series that really stick out to you?  Is it gameplay, maps, counter art, C2 systems, something else?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 06:55:23 AM
Yes, I've had an abiding interest sin the ACW since the 'Stonewall' game in an early S&T issue (the first game in what has grown into the GBACW series). That set me off into a voyage of discovery and over the year I've read a huge number of books on the subject and played a lot of ACW game, both mini's and board. Its actually not just the war period, but also the whole social changes that were taking place in America before, during, and after the war.

Interesting to note that there is quite a large body of interest in the US about the ECW as well, and I gather that there are some regiments of the Sealed Knot based in the US.

As for the game in question - I like the scale for one thing, and the system has a fair bit of period flavour but is simple enough not to get bogged down in too much detail. I suspect its the sort of game that some hard-core ACW players may refer to as 'GBACW Lite' in the same way as they describe OST as 'ASL Lite' :-), although I accept that there is a difference in scale between the 2 systems.

And, the counter and maps are nice with the sample I've seen of the map looking very good. There is a sort of fascination for the actual battlefield in the same way as there is a fascination with the battlefield at Waterloo,

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 03:09:21 PM
Antietam is the only ACW Worthington game I own, but it's fantastic. I'd loved to have gotten in on this Gettysburg one.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 03:43:46 PM
Yes, Antietam is a good game. I still hope to pick up Gettysburg at some point.