Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200557 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #720 on: April 22, 2023, 09:09:48 AM
On this day admiral Pierre Dr Villaneuva, who was trounced thoroughly by Nelson at Trafalgar, committed suicide by stabbing himself at least five times in the chest and back.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #721 on: April 22, 2023, 10:16:47 AM
In the back !?

Did he have some help? Maybe it wasn't actually his idea?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #722 on: April 22, 2023, 11:30:16 AM
Yeah in the back is commitment to the cause!!

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #723 on: April 22, 2023, 01:43:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think Napoleon's Retirement Plan was very enticing.  :notme:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #724 on: April 24, 2023, 09:12:47 AM
On this date in 1943, the freighter, El Estero, which had already survived a convoy run to Murmansk, caught fire while loaded with munitions in New York harbor.  At the Cave ammunition armory, a boiler blowback ignited the oil in her bilges.  There was 5,000 tons of munitions on the ships and on the pier.  When the fire got out of control, NYC fire boats and Coast Guard tugs pulled the ship out to shallow water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Estero

The Seventh Infantry Division, after intensive desert training, shipped out for Alaska.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #725 on: April 24, 2023, 08:18:01 PM
On this date in 1943, the freighter, El Estero, which had already survived a convoy run to Murmansk, caught fire while loaded with munitions in New York harbor.  At the Cave ammunition armory, a boiler blowback ignited the oil in her bilges.  There was 5,000 tons of munitions on the ships and on the pier.  When the fire got out of control, NYC fire boats and Coast Guard tugs pulled the ship out to shallow water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Estero

The Seventh Infantry Division, after intensive desert training, shipped out for Alaska.
They never heard of the 'Dessert': "Baked Alaska-!-"-?

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #726 on: April 25, 2023, 09:34:21 AM
On this date in 1792, Nicolas Jacques Peletier, French highwayman, is the first person to date Madame Guillotine.
In 1942, the carriers Hornet and Enterprise return to Oahu after sending Jimmy Doolittle off to Japan.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #727 on: April 25, 2023, 10:46:39 PM
In 1942, the carriers Hornet and Enterprise return to Oahu after sending Jimmy Doolittle off to Japan.

My junior high school history teacher was convinced that the Japanese attacked Midway because they thought it was the mysterious 'Shangri-La' that Roosevelt claimed Doolittle's B-25s took off from in his radio address following the raid.

He was also adamant that the Japanese couldn't actually build a capable fighter on their own. He tried to convince our class that they had reverse engineered the P-36 Hawk and simply added fuel injection. Even at that young an age I knew he was full of shit, having been reading about WW2 aircraft for several years beforehand.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #728 on: April 25, 2023, 11:35:45 PM
I had an Eighth Grade Social Studies teacher explain to us that Spain would never have come in to WWII on the side of the Germans because they were allied to the U.S. at the time. That's a part of History I never heard about.  :o

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #729 on: April 26, 2023, 09:52:46 AM
On this date in 1478, the PaZzi family attempts to assassinate the Medicis in Florence.
While at church, GuiIano and Lorenzo Medici are attacked.  Giuliani is killed but Lorenzo fights his way into a confessional and holds off the killers until his guards get through the worshippers.
The Florentine citizens hang the conspirators.

Ludwig Samson Arthur FreiherrVon und zu Tann-Rathsamhausen dies,1881.  Bavarian Field Marshal.
Setting a precedent for naming Imperial battle cruisers that has mystified English speakers for over a century.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #730 on: April 27, 2023, 06:39:12 AM
^ Aircraft Carriers as well, all one of them.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #731 on: April 27, 2023, 10:45:44 AM
My thinking is the names were tactical. If you can't pronounce a ship's name, how can you order someone to go and sink it?  :biggrin:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #732 on: April 28, 2023, 12:16:23 PM
On thi?s day in 1503, Gonzalo de Cordoba, "El Gran Capitan", wins the battle
 of Cerignola defeating a French army in the kingdom of Naples.
Cordoba had reorganized the light Spanish army into a combined arms force of pikemen, swordsmen, and arquebusiers, creating a modern infantry organization, the tetcio.
On this firm basis, Spanish armies dominated the battlefields of Europe until Rocroi, almost 140 years.
El Gran Capitan drove the French out of Naples and secured it for king Ferdinand of Spain.
After queen Isabella's death,
Ferdinand didn't trust Cordoba, rusticated him to his estates, and badgered him about his accounts for the rest of his life.

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #733 on: April 28, 2023, 05:09:14 PM
On this day in 1503, Gonzalo de Cordoba, "El Gran Capitan", wins the battle
 of Cerignola defeating a French army in the kingdom of Naples.
Cordoba had reorganized the light Spanish army into a combined arms force of pikemen, swordsmen, and arquebusiers, creating a modern infantry organization, the tetcio.(sp) =  'Tercio'
On this firm basis, Spanish armies dominated the battlefields of Europe until Rocroi, almost 140 years.
El Gran Capitan drove the French out of Naples and secured it for king Ferdinand of Spain.
After queen Isabella's death,
Ferdinand didn't trust Cordoba, rusticated him to his estates, and badgered him about his accounts for the rest of his life.

corrected spelling-!

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #734 on: April 29, 2023, 11:31:50 AM
On this day in 711, Tariq ibnZiyad invades Spain from Morocco.  Overthrowing the Visigoth kingdom, he kicks off a conflict that endures until 1492.
In 1492, Joan of Arc breaks the English siege of Orleans.
In 1945, the lovebirds Eva Braun and Adolph Hitler are married.